• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

filthy tugboat

My thoughts on the appropriate usage of both definitions for atheism.

Lack of Belief atheism: Only applies to those who have no concept of god, those who are indifferent, those who are undecided, and those who actively refrain from taking a stance (due to hard-core agnositicsm).

Negative belief atheism: Applies to anyone who has actively taken the position that god does not exist.

I think you are looking at this slightly off key. Negative,weak or agnostic atheism do not hold the position that Gods do not or can not exist, they mostly hold the position that they don't know if a God does or doesn't but they have no reason to believe that one does. To clarify, when a theists asks a weak atheist, "do you believe in God?" The weak atheist can answer with a few different answers, "what?" "I don't believe what people have told me about God." "I have never encountered a God or any information about a God so I don't know whether one exists but I certainly have no reason to suspect so."

There are many other responses but these should give you a good idea.

Positive, strong or gnostic atheism holds the position that Gods do not exist.

Both of these fit under the branch of atheism as atheism is by definition, 'without-theism' which is not a belief, it is a statement of what you are not.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It's not an either-or matter. "Lack of belief atheism" includes "negative belief atheism".
I agree.

Atheism.png

There are specific instances, however, when it is more appropriate to use one definition over the other.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think you are looking at this slightly off key. Negative,weak or agnostic atheism do not hold the position that Gods do not or can not exist, they mostly hold the position that they don't know if a God does or doesn't but they have no reason to believe that one does. To clarify, when a theists asks a weak atheist, "do you believe in God?" The weak atheist can answer with a few different answers, "what?" "I don't believe what people have told me about God." "I have never encountered a God or any information about a God so I don't know whether one exists but I certainly have no reason to suspect so."
If someone says to me "I don't know whether god exists" I would consider him to be undecided (unless he clarified that he was agnostic, in which case, further questioning would be required), which would fall under the "lack of belief" definition.

However, if someone says to me "I don't believe that god exists", I would consider him to have taken a position on the question of god's existence; he has a belief that god does not exist. Note that this is not the same as saying "I know that god does not exist" or "god does not exist", which would be the "hard atheist" stance.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Mball, if I showed you apple pie, cherry pie, and banana creme pie and said that I just gave you examples of cake, would you be convinced that they were cake?

Some of the examples didn't apply, and some just don't compute.

That's a bad analogy. I gave you examples of what I'm saying. You can choose to see them differently, so that they're not examples, but that doesn't make it so. You have a different way of looking at things, which causes you to see my examples in a different light. My point is that my examples are perfectly valid examples. It's only your interpretation that makes them seem like they're not.

The sentences "I do not believe X exists" and "I believe X doesn't exist" are not synonymous. Sometimes they can be taken as such, but when you're trying to precise, as we must be in a discussion like this, they are not the same. What has happened here is that I've given other examples to illustrate the difference, but you just choose to take "I don't believe" as "I believe the opposite" in all case. I can't stop you from doing that, but the fact is they are not the same thing, and my examples show that.

One definition is applicable in some circumstances, and the other definition is applicable in other circumstances. If it is under the "lack of belief" circumstance, it is correct to state that atheism is not a belief. If it is under the "negative belief" circumstance, it would be correct to state that atheism is a belief. It all depends upon which definition is most appropriate. More on that later.

No. The broad definition of "automobile" includes cars with gas engines. The broad definition of "atheist" includes "one who believes God doesn't exist".

It's incorrect to call atheism a belief because that would have to mean that the atheists who simply lack the belief are not atheists. That's why the definition "one who lacks belief in gods, and often also actively believes gods don't exist". That covers everything, but by that definition, atheism is not a belief.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I agree.

Atheism.png

There are specific instances, however, when it is more appropriate to use one definition over the other.

OK, if you understand this, then you should understand why atheism itself is not a belief. Atheism is the yellow circle, which is not a belief.

Orias

Left Hand Path

:D Ah, so atheists do in "fact" believe that they lack belief in "God(s)". I think you need to reconsider pushing the "lack of belief in "God(s)" argument since the "lack of belief in "God(s)" does not justify the belief that this position is in "fact" not a "belief".

If you haven't noticed, a "God" is not required for one to posses a belief.

I always possess a reasonable doubt. In this case, very little, since I am supported by the actual definitions of the words, have extensive personal experience in debating this particular definition and have a firm grasp of logic and logical fallacies.

Ah, so you are certain that what you believe is correct by means of your assertion.

I too, have an extensive and personal experience in debating this particular proposition and also have a firm grasp on "logic" and "logical fallacies". Point being that I do not deny my own hypocrisy.

One could only scapegoat another as being illogical or commiting logical fallacies without supporting this presupposition.

Atheism is a belief because "atheists" (not all) belief that it is not a belief. Also considering the numerous other points that revolve around the personal subjected experience of perception that have seemingly been dismissed as "not relating to the subject". But that again, is just a self deceitful way of saying, "I don't want to believe you".

Orias

Left Hand Path
More philosophy 101. Please, spare me this epistemological babble in future. If "truth" does not exist, then belief cannot exist either, so your entire argument is just a giant, collapsing hole of nothing.

Actually no, belief is supplimented out of truth. "Truth" does not exist, only making room for belief.

Your lack of consideration is making me wonder whether or not you can actually support and of your presuppositions.

Then why did you post the dictionary definition and claim that it supported your position that atheism is a belief, when it clearly does not?

Because it clearly does not support your position either.

You're pushing the "lack of belief", just like everyone else, without realizing that "lack of belief (in "God(s)" isn't even relevant to the point you're trying to make.

Except we're not arguing semantics. You're arguing with logical fallacies and definitions, I'm defending those definitions.

Support this, again. You're continual reference to logical fallacies and definitions are really starting to bother me since you don't support anything you say.

Hence why people need to be properly educated with regards to what certain words and phrases mean.

Hence my efforts to educate people that atheism is the absence of belief in a God, no a belief in the nonexistence of one.

Hence subjective perception. It must escape you.

I've done it before. Very frustrating.

Of course, :facepalm:

shoinan

Orias,

Do you think atheism implies a specific belief or that atheism simply implies a belief? If the former, what belief is it?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
:D Ah, so atheists do in "fact" believe that they lack belief in "God(s)". I think you need to reconsider pushing the "lack of belief in "God(s)" argument since the "lack of belief in "God(s)" does not justify the belief that this position is in "fact" not a "belief".

I really don't understand what part of this is so hard for you to grasp.

Yes, atheists have beliefs. Many atheists believe that they lack belief in gods, although some don't. An atheist who has never heard of gods doesn't believe he lacks belief in them, but he does lack that belief.

The problem is none of that has anything to do with what atheism is. Again, by your logic, if I say "I believe a horse is not a belief", it means that a horse is a belief, since I believe it. It makes no sense. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods, which means it's not a belief. People have beliefs about atheism, but those beliefs don't affect what atheism is or isn't. Despite people having beliefs about atheism, it remains a lack of belief, in other words not a belief.

If you haven't noticed, a "God" is not required for one to posses a belief.

Of course it's not. As has been said, atheists still have beliefs. Everyone has beliefs. Atheism is not concerned with what people believe about atheism. It's not concerned with what believe believe about computers, or books, or sheetrock. It's concerned with what people believe or don't believe about gods. Only people's beliefs or lack thereof regarding the question of gods is relevant to atheism, not their beliefs or lack thereof regarding anything else, including atheism.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The significant difference between an atheist and someone who is brain-dead is that the former has made a decision. /quote

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The significant difference between an atheist and someone who is brain-dead is that the former has made a decision. /quote

Yes, according to you and some others, that's the case. According to the definition "one who lacks belief in gods", that is not the case. An atheist who doesn't believe that God doesn't exist has not made a decision.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, except that the diagram is inaccurate (illogical too, but that's another discussion).

It's neither inaccurate nor illogical.

EDIT: A helpful hint - in the future, maybe you should try something more than just declaring something inaccurate or illogical, as that would go a long way to making the comment more helpful to a discussion.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Well, except that the diagram is inaccurate (illogical too, but that's another discussion).
Can you draw your understanding? I thought a visual representation would be a refreshing change from all this word squirminess. :D

Orias

Left Hand Path
Orias,

Do you think atheism implies a specific belief or that atheism simply implies a belief? If the former, what belief is it?

No, I do not believe that atheism implies a specific belief, rather that it's notion catagorizes everyone.

I've heard atheists say that either you're an atheist, or a theist (which I disagree with by the way), and from this speculation I have gained a formal understanding that belief itself, implies what one thinks is true or correct. Leading me to belief that anything that cannot be proven "true", is a belief.

This includes both personal and "flock" wise consideration.

This is not to say that if a "God" were to be proven or disproven that people wouldn't change their "path", but this "what if" scenario is only implicit to those who have already made a decision about something before thinking about it.

Not being a belief would simply be not being a belief, the lables people take unto themselves describe their position of a "belief", and continue to describe their position with denominations of a certain belief, under the main roots of what the belief represents or entails.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Excellent. Atheism, itself, isn't a belief.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Specification does not make something a belief, the ritualization (formalization if you can't understand that) does. Which has been made obviously clear in your, among others, determination to thoroughly explain the formalities of your own denomination of "atheism".

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Specification does not make something a belief, the ritualization (formalization if you can't understand that) does. Which has been made obviously clear in your, among others, determination to thoroughly explain the formalities of your own denomination of "atheism".

Well, you've admitted atheism doesn't imply any specific beliefs, which is all I've been talking about this whole time. Nice to know you can admit an obvious error eventually.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
If that understanding doesn't cover all gods, then have you really rejected all gods?
What if your meaning for the word "leprechaun" doesn't cover all leprechauns? There are a great many putative beings that I believe are mythical--gods, angels, demons, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, goblins, fairies, ogres, leprechauns, dragons, etc. My judgment that they are mythical is based on my understanding of those words and my experience of the world. I don't see a big problem here. If someone else has a special interpretation of the word "god", I'll listen to what it is and decide whether it falls into the same category as my concept of "god". If that person has evidence or a good argument for their god, I'll examine it.

Okay... so then however you define your category or "model", it does have to generate all possible gods, correct? If not, then when you reject the results of the model, you haven't rejected all gods.
Suppose you see something that is halfway between a door and a hatch. If everyone calls the thing a door, you might extend your internal door "model" to cover it, or you might invent a new word--"hatch-door"--or you might consider that usage just another usage of the same word, or you might refuse to call it a "door". All of these possibilities are within reason. What sounds unreasonable is to claim that you do not know what "door" means because you haven't examined everything that someone might choose to call a "door".

But at the same time, you acknowledge that you can't tell whether every single god actually falls into the category you've rejected. So how can you honestly say you've rejected all gods?
There are always borderline cases. Semantic vagueness does not bother me. It is a natural phenomenon in language. I reject belief in all gods because of the properties they have and the flawed way in which people try to justify belief in them. I have spelled out my reasons for rejection in detail before, and I will do it again. I could be wrong, of course. I am certainly wrong about some things I believe, but that doesn't mean I have to go around mincing words about whether or not my rejection is a "belief" or opinion. Of course it is.

I was just trying to say that if you come up with a rejection that works for all supernatural entities (for instance), I'd accept this as a rejection of all gods as well. The important thing is that the category "gods" is entirely contained within the category "things I reject".
Well, I have come up with a rejection that works for all supernatural entities, and gods do fall within that class of beings. Have I been unclear about this in the past? Generally speaking, gods are not subject to the laws of nature. They can manipulate reality in ways that natural beings cannot. Some call it magic. I believe in sleight of hand, not magic.

Up to a point, but it is hard to judge every case because of semantic vagueness.

But if you can't reject all gods, then how can you claim to be an atheist, which you say requires rejection of all gods?
We were talking about classifying something as a "god", not whether that thing would be a believable being. If you can find a bona fide entity that qualifies as a "god", then I'll revise my opinion. Right now, they are looking very unreal to me.

I'm confused. It seems like you agreed that this person couldn't be a communist, but then your expanded answer seemed to suggest that you thought the label would work. Which is it?
It is whichever sense of "communist" you are using in a given context. Sometimes you reserve the label "communist" for a member of a communist organization. Sometimes you use it for people who just believe that we should live in communes and not own private property.

I think you got off-point there. My point was that saying my use of the term "atheist" is a case of special pleading implies that we're treating the term "atheist" differently from how we treat other similar terms. It seems to me that you've acknowledged that there aren't really any similar terms, which makes me wonder what point of comparison you used to decide that special pleading was going on.
Every word is unique. So what? Atheists are a type of religious skeptic--a type that denies the existence of gods. The world is full of skeptics, and there is nothing special about the word "god" that makes it impossible to reject belief in gods. The fact that we do not have similar labels for leprechaun-deniers and centaur-deniers tells us more about the social status of god-deniers than the special linguistic nature of words like "god" and "atheist".

If you say so, but the prefix "a-" does not productively attach to nouns in English. It attaches to adjectives.

Yes... adjectives like abiogenesis and aphasia, right?
In English linguistics, "latinate morphology" refers to the class of words derived from Latin and Greek. (Such terms often mix morphemes from the two languages.) I doubt that very many people think of "aphasia" as even having a prefix, since there is no corresponding "phasia", and it is characteristic of latinate terms that many do not appear to lack English stems. We do have "biogensis", so "abiogenesis" has a more salient prefix. You can go to a dictionary and find a lot of Latinate terms that begin with "a-" and "an-", but there is no general productive "privative a-" prefix in English other than the one that attaches to adjectives. The word "atheism" does happen to have a corresponding "theism" stem, but it is not formed by a productive morphological process. The word was borrowed into English that way, and it is in more common usage than "theism". If you do a Google search on "theism", you get 1.6 million hits. The word "atheism" gives you 12.4 million hits--an order of magnitude higher. Lots of people misspell "atheist" as "athiest", but few misspell "theist" as "thiest". So I don't think that the prefix is all that significant to speakers.

Perhaps if "geologism" were an accepted word, you could get away with an analogical attachment of the prefix.

You realize that it was a made-up word, don't you? I wasn't trying to say that "a-geology" is a real word; I was just using it for an illustrative example.
Yes, but it only underscores my point that you cannot use "a-" as a productive privative prefix on nouns. It attaches to adjectives much more easily--asymptomatic, asexual, amoral, acausal, asequential, etc. While you can find it on nouns occasionally, English does not support such a productive prefix. The prefix "un-" is similar. It doesn't like to attach to nouns, which is why "uncola" sounds funny. The prefix "non-" is productive for nouns. Welcome to Morphology 101. That is just one of many non-geology courses. :)

Put these together and you need to have a way to actively reject all gods before you can apply the label "atheist" validly.
Yes, and I maintain that that is just what atheists do. They reject belief in all gods. If they don't, then they do not merit the coveted title of "atheist". I'm not really trying to exclude them. We can still all belong to the "non-believers" club. ;) It's just that the word has a centuries-old usage in English that is still perfectly good.

But skeptics don't reject belief in all things either. The whole point of skepticism is that a claim (either positive or negative) should not be accepted until it has sufficient support. It's not a matter of active rejection.
Really? I think that "skepticism" implies active rejection. Again, we disagree on word usage.

The audience may form an opinion about what I mean to say, but my actual intent is an act by me and me alone.
Yes, but you do take your audience into account when you say things, don't you? We calculate how the audience will judge our intent.

Really. So it was a different Copernicus who wrote this?
Move that empty set outside of the rejection space, and you have an accurate description of my definition and no division by zero.
Yes, and I haven't moved anything. Read my words. If you move that empty set out of the rejection space, then you have my original definition and no division by zero. You were the one who erroneously moved it in there in the first place. I have not changed my definition.

And exactly what percentage of people agreeing with me would be low enough for you to conclude that my definition is invalid?
On the "atheist baby" survey, I was actually surprised to get that many in your favor, but I think that that had more to do with partisanship and the discussion that ensued. The Secular Cafe survey had almost no "atheist" hits until someone started spouting off with the "lacks belief" definition. Then it picked up a few more, the stats are still 2-1 in favor of saying that the label is inappropriate.

In the general public, a substantial percentage of the people say that atheists believe in God, but are just rebelling against him. If usage is the be-all and end-all of meaning as you suggest, shouldn't you work that in somewhere?
No. What distinguishes atheists from other people is that they actively deny the existence of gods. Theists may feel that they are delusional and rebellious, but they still use the term "atheist" appropriately. Beliefs about a category of people are not necessarily useful in defining that category.

So what's the number? What percentage of people need to use a term a certain way before the usage is considered "valid"?
There is no number. Lexicographers rely on usage panels, who analyze citations and debate word senses.

Last edited: