• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can you draw your understanding? I thought a visual representation would be a refreshing change from all this word squirminess. :D
It was!

Here's a diagram more representative of the information I work from:

atheism.jpg

Belief takes a second place to the picture we've painted of the world: if we feel it's an accurate picture, we're going to invest belief in it; if there's uncertainty, we'll just claim, "I don't know."

So where, you might ask me, does "the atheist" fall in that diagram? Depending on what a person's image of "God" might be, it could be the yellow, it could be the yellow and the green, or it could be the yellow, the green and the purple.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yes, according to you and some others, that's the case. According to the definition "one who lacks belief in gods", that is not the case. An atheist who doesn't believe that God doesn't exist has not made a decision.
And is not properly called an "atheist". Your argument has been quite consistent, so I will grant you a medal for that. You have fixated on a definition, and you are using that definition to prescribe the way people ought to use the term "atheist". Your argument is essentially just to insist over and over again that that is what the word means without anything more substantive than repetition to support your case. It paints you into absurd little semantic corners--like classifying babies and animals as "atheists" merely because they lack belief in gods. My approach has been to show that your definition leads to usage that strikes most people as absurd.

In this particular case, the definition of "atheism" as "one who lacks belief in gods" is a bad definition. It ought not to be in the dictionary, because it makes wrong predictions about normal English usage.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
In this particular case, the definition of "atheism" as "one who lacks belief in gods" is a bad definition. It ought not to be in the dictionary, because it makes wrong predictions about normal English usage.

Why don't we change it to "someone who doesn't hold the belief that god exists" then? Personally, I don't use the phrase "lacks belief in god," as it incorrectly implies there is something I'm lacking.

In this case, it automatically excludes anything or anyone that doesn't hold beliefs - like rocks, dogs, or infants.

This way, we can get away from these nitpicky semantical arguments over specific words and phrases, and actually address meaning and context.

Copernicus

It was!

atheism.jpg

Belief takes a second place to the picture we've painted of the world: if we feel it's an accurate picture, we're going to invest belief in it; if there's uncertainty, we'll just claim, "I don't know."
That is in inaccurate diagram, because it represents a contradiction. "I don't know" should not be inside the space of the other circles, and the circles should not overlap.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So where, you might ask me, does "the atheist" fall in that diagram? Depending on what a person's image of "God" might be, it could be the yellow, it could be the yellow and the green, or it could be the yellow, the green and the purple.

I guess I'd be in some different colored circle off the page.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It was!

atheism.jpg

And this is irrelevant to the other chart given. The other chart was only concerned with atheism. An atheist who believes God doesn't exist also necessarily lacks the belief that God exists. Therefore the group "people who believe God doesn't exist" fits inside the group "people who lack the belief that God exists". That group to the right in chart lacks the belief that God exists.

Copernicus

Why don't we change it to "someone who doesn't hold the belief that god exists" then? Personally, I don't use the phrase "lacks belief in god," as it incorrectly implies there is something I'm lacking.
Definitions exist to instruct people on how words are used. A definition is bad if it leads to misconceptions about usage. Better definitions would be "one who advocates disbelief in gods", "one who rejects belief in gods", "one who believes that gods do not exist", etc. Atheists are usually people who take a stand on the existence of gods.

In this case, it automatically excludes anything or anyone that doesn't hold beliefs - like rocks, dogs, or infants.
Well, we can discard rocks and dogs as not "persons". We do not want to include infants, because they have no conception of a "god" to take a stand on one way or the other. So the label just doesn't apply to them. The "lacks belief" definition is too broad to make sense for actual usage.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Definitions exist to instruct people on how words are used. A definition is bad if it leads to misconceptions about usage.

Right which is why "lack belief" is a bad definition, as it seems to lead some people down ridiculous paths. Additionally, I'm not lacking anything.

Better definitions would be "one who advocates disbelief in gods", "one who rejects belief in gods", "one who believes that gods do not exist", etc. Atheists are usually people who take a stand on the existence of gods.

Even a better, or at least more broad, definition would be the one I put forth, as it includes all atheists. But, understanding your personal need for the term atheist to only apply to strong atheists, I understand your reply.

Well, we can discard rocks and dogs as not "persons". We do not want to include infants, because they have no conception of a "god" to take a stand on one way or the other. So the label just doesn't apply to them. The "lacks belief" definition is too broad to make sense for actual usage.

Right, which I why I said we should use another definition for the purposes of this conversation.

???

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What if your meaning for the word "leprechaun" doesn't cover all leprechauns? There are a great many putative beings that I believe are mythical--gods, angels, demons, werewolves, vampires, ghosts, goblins, fairies, ogres, leprechauns, dragons, etc. My judgment that they are mythical is based on my understanding of those words and my experience of the world. I don't see a big problem here. If someone else has a special interpretation of the word "god", I'll listen to what it is and decide whether it falls into the same category as my concept of "god". If that person has evidence or a good argument for their god, I'll examine it.
So you reject all mythical things and thereby reject all gods... fine, as long as you can say with certainty that anything that can be validly considered a god must be mythical. Unless you can exclude the possibility that someone might someday present you with some sort of god concept that's not mythical, then you can't say that you've rejected all gods.

Suppose you see something that is halfway between a door and a hatch. If everyone calls the thing a door, you might extend your internal door "model" to cover it, or you might invent a new word--"hatch-door"--or you might consider that usage just another usage of the same word, or you might refuse to call it a "door". All of these possibilities are within reason. What sounds unreasonable is to claim that you do not know what "door" means because you haven't examined everything that someone might choose to call a "door".
None of this is relevant. I'm not saying that we don't have a general sense of what "god" means in everyday speech. I'm saying that unless you can be sure that everything that's rightly called a "god" belongs to some sort of category you've rejected, then you can't say you've rejected all gods.

Perhaps you need a lexicographer or a linguist to reacquaint you with what the term "all" means. It means "all", not "almost all, with some vagueness around the edges".

There are always borderline cases. Semantic vagueness does not bother me. It is a natural phenomenon in language.
Yes... and it's why it's near-impossible to actually reject an entire category of thing unless the category is defined in such a way that this vagueness is eliminated.

I reject belief in all gods because of the properties they have and the flawed way in which people try to justify belief in them.
What properties do gods have?

Since you say use them as the basis for your rejection of them, you should be able to tell us what they are, right?

Well, I have come up with a rejection that works for all supernatural entities, and gods do fall within that class of beings.
Do they? I've run into people who have argued that their "God" was not supernatural.

We were talking about classifying something as a "god", not whether that thing would be a believable being. If you can find a bona fide entity that qualifies as a "god", then I'll revise my opinion. Right now, they are looking very unreal to me.
It's not up to me. When you defined atheism as the rejection of all gods, you took on the burden of proof of demonstrating that you actually do reject anything that could rightly be called a god.

Remember... it's not enough to merely not believe in a particular god, because even babies are capable of doing that.

Every word is unique. So what? Atheists are a type of religious skeptic--a type that denies the existence of gods. The world is full of skeptics, and there is nothing special about the word "god" that makes it impossible to reject belief in gods. The fact that we do not have similar labels for leprechaun-deniers and centaur-deniers tells us more about the social status of god-deniers than the special linguistic nature of words like "god" and "atheist".
You've got the definition of "skeptic" wrong, too.

Skepticism isn't automatic rejection of claims; it's the position that claims should not be accepted until supported. Lack of acceptance does not imply rejection; even if I don't trust you, this doesn't necessarily mean I think that you're lying.

In fact, equating lack of acceptance with rejection misses the entire point of skepticism.

Also, atheism doesn't have to be a form of skepticism. Atheists are often skeptics, yes, but it's entirely possible to be an atheist for non-skeptical reasons.

The prefix "non-" is productive for nouns. Welcome to Morphology 101. That is just one of many non-geology courses. :)
Good grief. My word choice didn't even matter! What was relevant to my point was the definition I gave. The word was just a label of convenience... a placeholder that I defined right in the argument; I could've used "dancing hippo" instead of "a-geology" and the point would've been the same.

Yes, and I maintain that that is just what atheists do. They reject belief in all gods. If they don't, then they do not merit the coveted title of "atheist". I'm not really trying to exclude them. We can still all belong to the "non-believers" club. ;) It's just that the word has a centuries-old usage in English that is still perfectly good.
The centuries-old usage in English is more like "non-Christian" than "person who rejects (or lacks belief) in all gods". Apparently, it can change to suit you, but no further.

Really? I think that "skepticism" implies active rejection. Again, we disagree on word usage.
Yes, because you miss the point of skepticism, apparently. Defining it as rejection implicitly contradicts the skeptical position.

Yes, but you do take your audience into account when you say things, don't you? We calculate how the audience will judge our intent.
We take them into account based on our assessment of them, sure. But if that assessment is wrong, then the reader doesn't get to wind back the clock, climb into the author's head and somehow change things so that the author meant something else.

As an example from my own life: I often have to write reports for a technical audience. In that context, I often use terms that have one meaning when used in my field, but somewhat different meanings in common speech. Say I write a report for a technical reviewer with one meaning in mind, and then a member of the general public gets ahold of it and gets another meaning out of it... the meaning that the member of the public got from my report is likely not my intended meaning.

Yes, and I haven't moved anything. Read my words. If you move that empty set out of the rejection space, then you have my original definition and no division by zero. You were the one who erroneously moved it in there in the first place. I have not changed my definition.
I didn't put it anywhere. I'm saying that as an empty set, its location is undefined - I'm saying that we can't say where it is, and therefore that we can't say with certainty that it definitely isn't in any particular region.

On the "atheist baby" survey, I was actually surprised to get that many in your favor, but I think that that had more to do with partisanship and the discussion that ensued. The Secular Cafe survey had almost no "atheist" hits until someone started spouting off with the "lacks belief" definition. Then it picked up a few more, the stats are still 2-1 in favor of saying that the label is inappropriate.
IOW, you had some knee-jerk responses that agreed with you, but once people put some thought into the matter, a significant number of them agreed with me? ;)

No. What distinguishes atheists from other people is that they actively deny the existence of gods. Theists may feel that they are delusional and rebellious, but they still use the term "atheist" appropriately.
How is it appropriate for a person to say to an atheist "you know, you're not really an atheist." Is that "appropriate" use?

There is no number. Lexicographers rely on usage panels, who analyze citations and debate word senses.
So what was the point of your surveys, then?

Copernicus

Right, which I why I said we should use another definition for the purposes of this conversation.

???
We're in agreement on that. The problem is that people quite often use definitions to advocate for usage that they want others to follow. Hence, they will not want to lose a definition that fails to support their point. The only way to solve this problem is to look at actual data. Lexicographers debate definitions, but they back those definitions up with citations from newspapers, literature, and other language sources.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
And is not properly called an "atheist".

Again, according to you. That's what I was responding to. I understand that you and Willamena incorrectly discard the definition "one who lacks belief in gods".

Your argument is essentially just to insist over and over again that that is what the word means without anything more substantive than repetition to support your case.

I wish you would apply the same amount of rational thinking and careful reading to this topic that you do to all the other topics you discuss. I've done far more than insist one thing over and over. The fact is "one who lacks belief in gods" is a valid definition. You have yet to show why it's not. All you've done is say that it leads to absurd things, but you haven't shown why those things are absurd.

My approach has been to show that your definition leads to usage that strikes most people as absurd.

And yet you've failed to show that my usage strikes most people as absurd, and beyond that, you've failed to show why that even matters.

Well, you're welcome to do exactly what you just accused me of doing (repeating the same point over and over again with no support for it), but I'd rather you try to support your claims. My definition is not a bad definition. It's a good one because it includes anyone who should reasonably be considered an atheist and excludes anyone who shouldn't be. Also, you mention "normal English usage". As you've seen with your surveys, you're making incorrect claims about normal English usage.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Definitions exist to instruct people on how words are used. A definition is bad if it leads to misconceptions about usage. Better definitions would be "one who advocates disbelief in gods", "one who rejects belief in gods", "one who believes that gods do not exist", etc. Atheists are usually people who take a stand on the existence of gods.

I highlighted the important part. Yes, atheists usually are people like that. The problem is that atheists are not always people like that, so any definition of the term has to account for those who aren't like that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We're in agreement on that. The problem is that people quite often use definitions to advocate for usage that they want others to follow.
From where I sit, this is what you're doing. Most of your argument so far is about your distaste for the definition I (and others) use.

Hence, they will not want to lose a definition that fails to support their point. The only way to solve this problem is to look at actual data. Lexicographers debate definitions, but they back those definitions up with citations from newspapers, literature, and other language sources.
Great... can you provide some citations that show that my definition of the term "atheist" does not work with how people use the term? I did a quick look through Google News, and all the stories I checked were ambiguous: either your definition or mine would work equally well.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Great... can you provide some citations that show that my definition of the term "atheist" does not work with how people use the term? I did a quick look through Google News, and all the stories I checked were ambiguous: either your definition or mine would work equally well.

Along with that, why don't we count as language sources? I'm a native English speaker.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That is in inaccurate diagram, because it represents a contradiction. "I don't know" should not be inside the space of the other circles, and the circles should not overlap.
Fair enough. I do, however, see uncertainty being the overlap of two opposing positions ("I don't know" representing uncertainty).

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Have not avidly followed this discussion back very far, but thought Id add a vote to Mball's general position with hopes of being statistically significant, ha.

A-theism, literally without theism. One who doesn’t subscribe to a theistic belief, i.e. the existence of God. No real need for anything else in that definition, as it wouldn’t bring anything to the party. To take a stand in terms of one’s position i.e. against the existence of a god is self evident in the definition, pointless adding it in. How one goes about voicing their opinions to other and so on is different territory.

Being precise and meticulous is often good, but in excess useless nit picking happens. A reasonable balance between specificity and generalisation has to exist, for the word to best function in our use of it. The tighter and more specific you make a definition, the less of a population it will represent. Too general, and it has no definitive value. I think Mball’s definition, besides being what everyone in the world tends to use, is in principle, a useful and valid definition for atheism.

Alex

Last edited: