• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Atheism is a "lack of belief in "God(s)", yet you are so certain that you believe that's what it merely is.

I'm sorry, can you translate this into a sentence that makes sense?

Actually it does describe a belief, of not having one, or "lacking" one.

No, it describes the absence of one, not the belief about the absence of one. The answer to the question "Do you believe in God?" indicates whether or not you're an atheist. The answer to the question "Do you believe you're an atheist?" indicates whether or not you believe you're an atheist. The first question is a question directly about atheism. The second question is directly about your beliefs about you and atheism.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Yeah, well that tends to happen when I tear apart nonsensical statements using clear, coherent, rational arguments.

Seems you live in a fantasy world of your own :rolleyes:

It was made clear long ago that for someone to make sense of a working one must posses some sense of their own.

Call it what you will, snapping your fingers isn't much of an argument at all :rainbow1:

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
And, as I have said many times now, a negative belief entails lack of belief in a positive claim. The mistake here has been to reverse the entailment in order to enforce wider usage of the term. Atheists all lack belief that gods exist, but not all people who lack belief that gods exist are atheists. Entailment is not logically symmetric.

I think I understand why people are trying to expand the definition of "atheism", but I also think that the effort just confuses everyone else. That confusion resulted in the question being asked in the OP--Is atheism a belief? It is a belief, but a special type of belief. It is a negative belief.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think I understand why people are trying to expand the definition of "atheism", but I also think that the effort just confuses everyone else. That confusion resulted in the question being asked in the OP--Is atheism a belief? It is a belief, but a special type of belief. It is a negative belief.

Meh, I haven't tried to expand anything. I can't claim to hold the belief that god exists - that's all that's needed for the label "atheist" to accurately apply to me. It's that simple.

Obviously, if other people choose to use a different definition of the word, then they might not think I'm an atheist. That's certainly their choice, but I still haven't seen any compelling arguments why not holding belief in the existence of god isn't a valid definition of the word atheist.

Commoner

Headache
And, as I have said many times now, a negative belief entails lack of belief in a positive claim. The mistake here has been to reverse the entailment in order to enforce wider usage of the term. Atheists all lack belief that gods exist, but not all people who lack belief that gods exist are atheists. Entailment is not logically symmetric.

You know, I've always considered such a person to be an atheist... But maybe that is a bit too broad. I don't know if you can accurately describe someone who has not even thought about the issue or been exposed to the idea that a god might exist as "atheist". On the other hand, it's useful to have a label that applies to any peson who is not of a belief that a god exists and I don't think that a belief that god does not exist is necessary in order to be an atheist. So, what I would conclude is that anyone who is aware of the idea of god and does not hold the belief that a god exists, is an atheist. What do you think?

Copernicus

Meh, I haven't tried to expand anything. I can't claim to hold the belief that god exists - that's all that's needed for the label "atheist" to accurately apply to me. It's that simple.
That's because you do not acknowledge usage as the determinant of what a word means. You impose other criteria on the process of definition--at least, you do that implicitly. I don't have a good sense of what your methodology is other than that you insist on not letting common usage dictate your concept of a definition. Tugboat quite explicitly rejected usage as a criterion.

Obviously, if other people choose to use a different definition of the word, then they might not think I'm an atheist. That's certainly their choice, but I still haven't seen any compelling arguments why not holding belief in the existence of god isn't a valid definition of the word atheist.
And I have seen no alternative proposal from you on how to define words. You seem quite content to work with an intuitive process. You like to say "It's simple!" I can assure you that defining words is far more complex than you imagine. If it really were all that simple, the reference departments of publishing houses would not be the big corporate money-makers that they are. There is a very high demand for people who know how to define words.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

No one has reversed that. I don't think that a lack of belief in gods entails the belief that gods don't exist. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. You're right that not all people who lack belief in gods hold the negative belief, but they're still atheists.

Nope. No one's trying to expand anything. The definition is what it is. If someone lacks the belief in gods, they're an atheist. That's not confusing, and there's no ulterior motive to wanting to be clear and accurate with definitions.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That's because you do not acknowledge usage as the determinant of what a word means.

Well, except for all the people out there using it this way.

You impose other criteria on the process of definition--at least, you do that implicitly. I don't have a good sense of what your methodology is other than that you insist on not letting common usage dictate your concept of a definition. Tugboat quite explicitly rejected usage as a criterion.

Why do I care what Tugboat rejects? My methodology is that there are tons of people out there that use the word in this way. Er, what's that called? Oh yeah, common usage.

And I have seen no alternative proposal from you on how to define words. You seem quite content to work with an intuitive process. You like to say "It's simple!" I can assure you that defining words is far more complex than you imagine.

I suppose for some people it may be.

If it really were all that simple, the reference departments of publishing houses would not be the big corporate money-makers that they are. There is a very high demand for people who know how to define words.

So should we just cherry-pick the ones that come up with the definition that you agree with? Is that your methodology?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And I have seen no alternative proposal from you on how to define words. You seem quite content to work with an intuitive process. You like to say "It's simple!" I can assure you that defining words is far more complex than you imagine. If it really were all that simple, the reference departments of publishing houses would not be the big corporate money-makers that they are. There is a very high demand for people who know how to define words.
You seem to be suggesting that defining the term is simple... or at least simple enough that you can say with certainty that it's wrong.

BTW - a question for you: keeping in mind whatever weight you think that usage gives to correctness of the meaning (or definition ) of a term... is "IRS" an acronym?

Copernicus

No one has reversed that. I don't think that a lack of belief in gods entails the belief that gods don't exist. That's exactly what I've been trying to say. You're right that not all people who lack belief in gods hold the negative belief, but they're still atheists.
I wasn't accusing you of committing the original sin, only of trying to perpetuate it. Since it is true of all atheists that they lack belief in gods, it is very natural to use that as an off-the-cuff definition. Once that wording got enshrined, some people started to take it too literally, thus giving birth to an urban legend--that atheists could be anyone who lacks an opinion about the existence of gods. Your definition is an attempt to drive usage, not reflect it.

Nope. No one's trying to expand anything. The definition is what it is. If someone lacks the belief in gods, they're an atheist. That's not confusing, and there's no ulterior motive to wanting to be clear and accurate with definitions.
I agree with you that the definition is what it is, but your definition isn't what it is. :p Your bald assertions contribute nothing to the discussion. What you really lack is a motivation for your definition, and that isn't just a Greek chorus singing it in the background. You need to establish an acceptable rationale for your definition. In the world of lexicography, that can only be usage.

Well, except for all the people out there using it this way.
I would agree that there is a minority of people in the community of people who habitually debate religion that supports your definition. It isn't really enough to sanction the definition, especially in light of the fact that many people from that same community reject your definition as a basis for their usage. It really is more of a slogan than a definition, because the usage has no traction beyond our specialized community.

Why do I care what Tugboat rejects? My methodology is that there are tons of people out there that use the word in this way. Er, what's that called? Oh yeah, common usage.
You ought to care, because he actually endorsed my position on common usage, but he denied that common usage ought to be the basis for a definition. He offered no viable alternative beyond etymological fallacies or the desired social effect the definition would have in softening the social stigma attached to "atheism".

I suppose for some people it may be.
Exactly, and those people who find definitions difficult are the people who do it for a living, not those who are unfamiliar with the traps and pitfalls. Creating an overly broad definition is way too easy a trap to fall into, and that is why it appears simple to you.

So should we just cherry-pick the ones that come up with the definition that you agree with? Is that your methodology?
I think that the validity of my definition is already quite well-established. It exists in just about every dictionary of English. What is less well-established is your definition, so you are the one who can be accused of cherry-picking a definition. In the few places where it does occur--e.g. Wikipedia--source materials identify your definition as controversial, and rightly so. Its popularity is driven by a relatively small group of speakers, and there is no uniform agreement in the speech community of that group on whether the definition is appropriate.

You seem to be suggesting that defining the term is simple... or at least simple enough that you can say with certainty that it's wrong.
To the best of my knowledge it is wrong, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise--for example by having people in the general English-speaking population answer questions like that in the "baby" survey.

BTW - a question for you: keeping in mind whatever weight you think that usage gives to correctness of the meaning (or definition ) of a term... is "IRS" an acronym?
Yes, but some would prefer to call it an "initialism". Typically, acronyms are technical terms vetted by a defining authority such as an agency of the government or a business organization, but they often make it into common usage. A society of atheists might wish to define the term "atheist" with your definition, but their authority to do so would be limited to their community of speakers.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To the best of my knowledge it is wrong, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise--for example by having people in the general English-speaking population answer questions like that in the "baby" survey.
But you already know that you'd get that... unless you're going to argue that the people who have responded affirmatively here aren't part of "the general English-speaking population".

Yes, but some would prefer to call it an "initialism".
Yes, because that's the technically correct word, even though very few people ever use it.

Typically, acronyms are technical terms vetted by a defining authority such as an agency of the government or a business organization, but they often make it into common usage.
That's not the distinction I'm aware of. AFAIK, the defining characteristic of an acronym is that it's used as a word, rather than a sequence of letters. For instance, "FUBAR" ("********* up beyond all recognition") is an acronym that hasn't been vetted by any defining authority that I'm aware of.

It's not a matter of being defined by an authority. For instance "IRS" is an initialism, not an acronym, despite having been established and "vetted" by a governmental authority.

But... back to the point I was getting at: very few people care about the distinction between acronyms and initialisms. People frequently use the term "acronym" to refer to initialisms that don't form words. Does this mean that if I were to say "'IRS' isn't an acronym", I would be wrong? After all, the predominant usage goes against my opinion... as well as the dictionary definition of "acronym".

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I wasn't accusing you of committing the original sin, only of trying to perpetuate it. Since it is true of all atheists that they lack belief in gods, it is very natural to use that as an off-the-cuff definition. Once that wording got enshrined, some people started to take it too literally, thus giving birth to an urban legend--that atheists could be anyone who lacks an opinion about the existence of gods. Your definition is an attempt to drive usage, not reflect it.

You claimed that we're saying that if someone lacks belief in gods, they also hold the negative belief. No one has said that. You're the one claiming that the negative belief is necessary to be considered an atheist. I'm not. When I claim someone is an atheist, I mean they lack belief in gods.

I agree with you that the definition is what it is, but your definition isn't what it is. :p Your bald assertions contribute nothing to the discussion. What you really lack is a motivation for your definition, and that isn't just a Greek chorus singing it in the background. You need to establish an acceptable rationale for your definition. In the world of lexicography, that can only be usage.

Blah blah blah. The fact is you've given no reason why our definition shouldn't be used. I'm guessing that's because there's no reason not to use it (other than the fact that you're so entrenched that you're highly unlikely to admit your error at this point).

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Belief implies the acceptance of something you cannot prove to be true or false either to yourself or to others. Therefore, to me, athiesm would indeed be a belief system. As one who has become convinced of the literal existence of a god form I call Set, which, via personal experience, is a very real phenomenon which exists both within and outside of my Self - I cannot label my self as an athiest. In another words, I do not believe that Set, the Prince of Darkness exists, rather, I have become personally convinced that He/It does exist as a very real lagitamite Entity within the objective universe.

For ever in the Dark Fire of Set!
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I wish we had more atheism threads around here. I'm really struggling to figure out what it is.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Yes, it is. Every person who holds the belief "Gods don't exist" also lacks the belief "Gods exist". Those two things are far from incompatible.

It is true that all atheists lack the belief "Gods exist". They may also hold other beliefs like "Gods don't exist". Therefore the thing all atheists have in common is a lack of belief in gods, meaning atheism is not a belief, but a lack of belief.
1. Atheism is a lack of belief that gods exist.
2. Atheism is a belief that gods do not exist.

Both definitions are completely valid for the word "atheism". Indeed, you have agreed that (2) is a subgroup of (1). If a subgroup has a particular characteristic, then it cannot be said that the overall group does not have that characterisitic.

This is why you can't say "Cars are not vehicles with gas engines", since there is a subgroup of cars that do have gas engines, even though not all cars have gas engines.

To say that "atheism is not a belief" is misleading, since only some forms of atheism are not a belief; other forms are atheism are in fact a belief.

I say it is misleading because "a belief" is not defined. As such "a belief" is not confined to referring only to "lack of belief that gods exist". It implies that "belief that gods do not exist" is also lacking. If you wanted to say "atheism is not a belief that gods exist" then that would be defined, and therefore accurate.

Last edited: