• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There you go again with "a belief". Which belief? It is not defined to the average listener.

It's not? What belief other than "God exists" could I be referring to?

Unless you specify which form of atheism you are referring to, you can neither say "atheism is not a belief" nor "atheism is a belief", since it is possible for both to be true. As proposed before, it can best be said that "atheism is not necessarily a belief."

No, atheism is not a belief. It can contain beliefs, but it itself is not a belief.

If you are referring to Kilgore's atheism, then yes, that would not be a belief. (But that is only because I know he is a Lack of Belief atheist, and not a Negative Belief one.)

Right, so saying atheism is not a belief is correct because it includes all atheists.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It's not? What belief other than "God exists" could I be referring to?
What is the first rebuttal you get from a theist when you say "Atheism is not a belief"?

You will have someone say "Hey! Isn't atheism the belief that gods don't exist? That's a belief, ain't it?".

By which I infer that it is not clear when you are saying "Atheism is not a belief" that you are only stating that "atheism is not a belief that god exists". It also seems to be saying "atheism is not a belief that gods do not exist."

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What is the first rebuttal you get from a theist when you say "Atheism is not a belief"?

You will have someone say "Hey! Isn't atheism the belief that gods don't exist? That's a belief, ain't it?".

By which I infer that it is not clear when you are saying "Atheism is not a belief" that you are only stating that "atheism is not a belief that god exists". It also seems to be saying "atheism is not a belief that gods do not exist."

I'm saying neither when I say "atheism is not a belief". I'm saying the thing, "atheism", is not a belief. When I say it is the lack of a belief, I'm saying it's the lack of the belief "God(s) exist".

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm saying neither when I say "atheism is not a belief". I'm saying the thing, "atheism", is not a belief.
You have to define which belief for it to be meaningful. "A belief" could be "any belief". Are you saying that "atheism is not any belief"?

What is comes down to is that I do not believe that to be an accurate portrayal, since some forms of atheism include an atheistic belief, and as such, it comes across as misleading (and if I were a theist having a debate with you, dishonest).

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You have to define which belief for it to be meaningful. "A belief" could be "any belief". Are you saying that "atheism is not any belief"?

What is comes down to is that I do not believe that to be an accurate portrayal, since some forms of atheism include an atheistic belief, and as such, it comes across as misleading (and if I were a theist having a debate with you, dishonest).

If atheism were a belief, then there would be a belief specific to atheists that applied to all atheists.

No one has been able to describe such a belief without limiting atheism to only strong atheists. The absence of such a belief is why atheism isn't a belief.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Simply put, atheism is just another "ism". According to Wordnet, "ism" is a noun that means:

a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school

In the case of atheism it is normally understood to mean rejection of the belief that gods exist. One could infer from that that all atheists lack belief in gods, not that people who lack belief in gods are ipso facto atheists. However, there are a number of people in this religion debate forum who want to deny that atheists must have a negative belief about gods, which is simply an incorrect generalization about ordinary English usage.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
If atheism were a belief, then there would be a belief specific to atheists that applied to all atheists.
That's why you can't say that "Atheism is a belief". (Well, if you were talking about atheism in general.)

Kilgore Trout said:
No one has been able to describe such a belief without limiting atheism to only strong atheists. The absence of such a belief is why atheism isn't a belief.
1) Is Strong Atheism a subset of atheism?
2) Can you say that atheism does not have a characteristic when a particuar subset does have that characteristic?

The presence of a belief (in strong atheism) is also why you cannot say that atheism isn't a belief (unless you are referring specifically to those who lack the belief that gods do not exist.)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That's why you can't say that "Atheism is a belief". (Well, if you were talking about atheism in general.)

Right - without specification, the general is assumed.

1) Is Strong Atheism a subset of atheism?
2) Can you say that atheism does not have a characteristic when a particuar subset does have that characteristic?

The presence of a belief (in strong atheism) is also why you cannot say that atheism isn't a belief (unless you are referring specifically to those who lack the belief that gods do not exist.)

You can say that atheism can be a belief. This, of course, is very different from saying atheism is a belief. Obviously if one specifies that they believe god doesn't exist, then atheism is a belief for them, but this doesn't make atheism, in general, a belief.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

I'm sorry, now you're losing me. I thought "Atheism is not a belief" was clear, just as "a horse is not a bottle" would be.

OK, but that's the best way to talk about atheism generally, so it's neither misleading nor dishonest.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
However, there are a number of people in this religion debate forum who want to deny that atheists must have a negative belief about gods, which is simply an incorrect generalization about ordinary English usage.

Well, I'll just keep using it as I ordinarily encounter it in usage. But, good luck with trying to get the whole world to fit in your neat, little mental boxes.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
You can say that atheism can be a belief. This, of course, is very different from saying atheism is a belief. Obviously if one specifies that they believe god doesn't exist, then atheism is a belief for them, but this doesn't make atheism, in general, a belief.
So, why do you think that you can say, in general, that atheism is not a belief?