• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
In the case of atheism it is normally understood to mean rejection of the belief that gods exist. One could infer from that that all atheists lack belief in gods, not that people who lack belief in gods are ipso facto atheists.

No one is claiming that you can infer that from the information. What you can infer that from is the fact that someone who doesn't believe in gods fits the definition of "atheist". You can also see it in the usage of some native English speakers.

However, there are a number of people in this religion debate forum who want to deny that atheists must have a negative belief about gods, which is simply an incorrect generalization about ordinary English usage.

No, it's not. No one is generalizing usage here. We're saying it doesn't have to include the negative belief about gods because, by definition, it doesn't have to, and many people use it the way we do. Also, you have never given a good reason not to use it that way.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Simply put, atheism is just another "ism". According to Wordnet, "ism" is a noun that means:

a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school
My dictionary says that "ism" also means "state, condition or quality".

I know these words work with my definition for "ism"; do they work for yours?

- Malapropism
- Criticism
- Gigantism
- Alcoholism

There are many "isms" that don't require the subject to positively accept them.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Because something is either a belief or not. It's incorrect to say that atheism, in general, is a belief, so that leaves one option.
That is a false dichotomy. There is a third option: when speaking of atheism in general, you can not claim that it is either a belief or not a belief.

Like mball's vehicle example: Some vehicles have gas engines. Some vehicles do not have gas engines. You can neither say that (all) vehicles have gas engines, nor can you say that (all) vehicles do not have gas engines.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That is a false dichotomy. There is a third option: when speaking of atheism in general, you can not claim that it is either a belief or not a belief.
Actually, you can. The two possibilities are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive.

Like mball's vehicle example: Some vehicles have gas engines. Some vehicles do not have gas engines. You can neither say that (all) vehicles have gas engines, nor can you say that (all) vehicles do not have gas engines.
Given that, you can say that a gas engine is not required for a thing to be a vehicle.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
We're saying it doesn't have to include the negative belief about gods because, by definition, it doesn't have to, and many people use it the way we do.
Just pointing out that this statement is a bit circular. You are using your form of the definition of atheism to prove that the definition of atheism does not require the negative belief. Your whole debate with Copernicus is whether your definition is valid or not.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Actually, you can. The two possibilities are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive.
If I have a bunch of balloons, some of which are red, but the majority of which are different colors, can I claim that the balloons are not red? Can I claim that the balloons are red?

I can make neither claim about the balloons as a whole.

9-10ths_Penguin said:
Given that, you can say that a gas engine is not required for a thing to be a vehicle.
Precisely. That has been my preferential phrasing all along: Atheism is not necessarily a belief.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Atheism in general, or broadly speaking, is the absence of belief in the existence of gods. This applies to all atheists. Atheism, broadly speaking, isn't a belief, it's an absence of belief.

Specific cases or subsets of atheism may have additional components which are beliefs, but that is atheism specific to those subsets, not atheism in general.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Atheism in general, or broadly speaking, is the absence of belief in the existence of gods. This applies to all atheists. Atheism, broadly speaking, isn't a belief, it's an absence of belief.

Specific cases or subsets of atheism may have additional components which are beliefs, but that is atheism specific to those subsets, not atheism in general.
Again, I ask, can you make a statement about the general set that is false for a subset? That sounds like a basic logical fail.

1. B is a subset of A.
2. B has component X
3. A does not have component X
Therefore: Does not compute. Either 1 or 3 must be false.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Again, I ask, can you make a statement about the general set that is false for a subset? That sounds like a basic logical fail.

1. B is a subset of A.
2. B has component X
3. A does not have component X
Therefore: Does not compute. Either 1 or 3 must be false.

It isn't false for the subset. Atheism, broadly speaking, is not a belief - it is the absence of belief in the existence of god. This applies to all atheists - it is a true, general statement about atheism.

When you talk about atheists who believe that god doesn't exist, you're no longer talking about atheism in general. You've created a new, distinct set.