• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I have always felt this subject is 98% semantics, and 2% horse crap.

I don't know whether that makes it better or worse than most other subjects discussed on RF which are 2% semantics and 98% horse crap. Personally, I enjoy the subjects that are at least 1% retarded.

Gloone

Alright, I have it all figured out. My own definition of atheism.

Atheism: One that holds no belief in deities or the existence of god(s).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Alright, I have it all figured out. My own definition of atheism.

Atheism: One that holds no belief in deities or the existence of god(s).
See, that doesn't work for me. That might be the definition of atheist, but not atheism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Regardless of what else we might all believe, I think everyone can agree that atheists are cowards when it comes to believing in god.

Gloone

See, that doesn't work for me. That might be the definition of atheist, but not atheism.
So "One that holds no" or "A person that holds no" doesn't work for atheism, but does for atheist. What is it again that "ism" implies that changes the meaning of a word?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Hmmm.....what do you charge to believe in me?
Is there a group discount if other RF heathens get together?

Chocolate, bacon, gold bullion, and/or unicorns, and yes there is a group discount. Just drop by my minotaur farm to submit your payment.

And a bunch of RF heathens all in one place?! PAAAAAARTAAY!!! :hugehug:
Oh yeah, you don't like hugs.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So "One that holds no" or "A person that holds no" doesn't work for atheism, but does for atheist. What is it again that "ism" implies that changes the meaning of a word?
Atheism might be "the position that..." or "the idea that..."

The person ("one") is the atheist. Atheism is the idea or position that is "held", a thing in its own right.

shoinan

It's really quite simple.

If you accept the definition 'atheism is lack of/absence of belief in god' then the belief that gods don't exist isn't atheism. Atheism is logically an implicit consequence of that belief - if you believe gods don't exist then by definition you also do not believe gods exist. Regardless, that belief itself is not atheism. Yet someone who believes gods do not exist is still logically an atheist.

So at a stretch you could say atheism can be the result of a belief. This still doesn't make it a belief. Whether or not you accept that definition is another matter.

Gloone

Atheism might be "the position that..." or "the idea that..."

The person ("one") is the atheist. Atheism is the idea or position that is "held", a thing in its own right.
Well that seems to clear a lot things up. So Atheism is just a position taken or made to refute theism. Positive atheism is just an absolute position then.
Deities are not coherent, therefor no god(s) exists. If they were there would be no objections within or among deities. Something like that? :p

Last edited: