• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A belief?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
doppelgänger;2421070 said:
Unless Scotsmen always lie. In which case . . . er . . . now I'm confused.

Well, in the case of two Scotsmen, one always lies and one always tells the truth.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well that seems to clear a lot things up. So Atheism is just a position taken or made to refute theism. Positive atheism is just an absolute position then.
Well, in so far as the choice of the word "refute" is not debatable, sure.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Like a tube light that starts late, i now notice that kilgore and mball are not atheists. 9 tenths Penguin is only 1/2 so.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Without dancing around the topic or even the definition of "atheism", which so far I have gained from people is...

"Lack of belief in "God(s)"
Disbelief in "God(s)"
Denial of "God(s)"

Can anyone refute the claim the "atheism" is not a belief, besides just downright saying that it's not, or even complicating it to the point where the partakers cannot even distinguish what is and what isn't determination?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Can anyone refute the claim the "atheism" is not a belief, besides just downright saying that it's not, or even complicating it to the point where the partakers cannot even distinguish what is and what isn't determination?

Nope - no one yet has been able to refute that atheism isn't a belief.

Orias

Left Hand Path
More accurately, you haven't acknowledged anyone doing the opposite (supporting the fact that atheism is not a belief). It's been done many times.

I have actually, I was just responding to Kilgore's conniving and misrepresented points. (Or that he just completely ignores or doesn't pay attention to anyone elses refutes)

I just tend to disagree with running in circles.

Wow, another completely irrelevant remark. What a treat.

Yes, you are filled with them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nope - no one yet has been able to refute that atheism isn't a belief.
From this article....
Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we have....
"In practical or pragmatic atheism, also known as apatheism, individuals live as if there are no gods and explain natural phenomena without resorting to the divine. The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life, according to this view.[55] A form of practical atheism with implications for the scientific community is methodological naturalism—the "tacit adoption or assumption of philosophical naturalism within scientific method with or without fully accepting or believing it."
People who operate this way would seem to lack belief.
It looks like refutation to me.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
From this article....
Atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
we have....
"In practical or pragmatic atheism, also known as apatheism, individuals live as if there are no gods and explain natural phenomena without resorting to the divine. The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life, according to this view.[55] A form of practical atheism with implications for the scientific community is methodological naturalism—the "tacit adoption or assumption of philosophical naturalism within scientific method with or without fully accepting or believing it."
People who operate this way would seem to lack belief.
It looks like refutation to me.

How would this refute that atheism isn't a belief? Wouldn't a lack of belief imply it isn't a belief?