• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

Bird123

Closed minded bias often is very clear.

My atheism is not a belief, and no one gets to tell me what I think or believe because they don't like their core beliefs being held up to critical scrutiny.

Are you saying I'm upset because I think you are holding what I say to critical scrutiny? I welcome any and all comments on what I say. I have never ever been angry with you. Further, I make no demands on anyone.

Free choice is an important part of God's system. Why would I want to change perfection? On the other hand, I will speak to what IS. If that steps on toes, then that points the way to true reality. I am going to keep it in reality regardless of anyone's choices.

It seems you are the one angry. Don't be angry. You have all my Love and Kindness.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Sheldon

Veteran Member
If you flip a coin and hide the results, then say it's heads. If I do not believe you then, yes, I believe it's tails. On the other hand, if I value facts over beliefs, I will make it a point to see the coin.

You can't have it both ways. If I do not believe you when you say it's heads, how could I in my right might think it's heads? You do not add up.
I think you have misread that, try this:

A glass jar contains white and black marbles, someone says they believe there are more black marbles than white, I don't know if he's right, so I can't believe his claim and tell him. This doesn't mean I believe there are more white marbles.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Are you saying I'm upset because I think you are holding what I say to critical scrutiny? I welcome any and all comments on what I say. I have never ever been angry with you. Further, I make no demands on anyone.

Free choice is an important part of God's system. Why would I want to change perfection? On the other hand, I will speak to what IS. If that steps on toes, then that points the way to true reality. I am going to keep it in reality regardless of anyone's choices.

It seems you are the one angry. Don't be angry. You have all my Love and Kindness.

I'm not angry, nor did I say you are angry. However I don't see the beliefs you express reflecting reality in any objective way.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some atheists claim to know, even here on RF.

Unless you can give me an example of an atheist who holds the belief gods exist to be true, I'll stick with my belief that every atheist who can comprehend the statement believes it is not true.
True. These are the strong atheists who assert positively that God does not exist. In so doing they assume a burden of proof like anyone else making a positive assertion.

They're still atheists, though, inasmuch as their belief -- that God doesn't exist -- also lack belief, as a subset, which is the one, unique feature common to -- and therefore definitive of -- all atheists.

Last edited:

Bird123

Maybe you have a different understanding of what a worldview is than I do. I call myself an atheist, but secular humanism is my worldview. Some atheists' worldviews were Stalinism. If you believe that the stars rule the world or can read to predict the future rather than a god doing that, I'd call you an atheist, but call your worldview astrology.

My worldview encompasses a metaphysics, an epistemology, and an ethical system, all different from a Christian worldview, for example. We don't have a god in our metaphysics. so divine revelation, miracles, a supernatural realm and answered prayer aren't expected. We don't value faith as a path to truth about the world, just empiricism. And we don't believe in an absolute moral truth or received ethics. Secular humanists use rational ethics, the process of applying reason to empathy to determine the best way for ourselves to behave to embody reciprocal empathy, and the best way to structure society to promote freedom, economic opportunity, and social opportunity for the greatest number so that they may pursue happiness as they understand it.

Obviously, none of that describes other atheists like Stalinists except the metaphysics, which of course is why it is so disingenuous to conflate secular humanists with Stalinists by announcing how many people atheistic authoritarian regimes have murdered in an effort to tarnish all atheists. We don't share their world view. just their metaphysics. If atheism were a worldview, wouldn't all atheists have the same worldview?

Christianity is a worldview, but theism isn't, just as secular humanism is a worldview, but atheism isn't. What do you think?

Those skeptics aren't on RF, and they haven't "moved on." They're just not interested in discussing ideas with theists in a discussion board, or they are unaware that they exist.

Here, you will find the skeptics that like to discuss ideas, including faith, which is what skeptics reject for themselves, and not just faith in gods, but all faith, including climate deniers, election hoax believers, and vaccine-refusers - all doing severe damage to them and the people around them.

You'll see these same skeptics who reject theistic faith rejecting faith in all of those areas as well, because it really isn't about religion or believing, but believing by faith, that is, without sufficient evidentiary support.

Critical thinkers are skilled at evaluating evidence and argument, and enjoy practicing. They like to deconstruct fallacious arguments and identify the fallacies present by name. They like to invoke Hitchens' razor when others make unsupported claims. It's like going to the reason driving range and hitting a bucket of balls, or going to the gym, except mental rather than physical.

It seems like it's a very small minority of theists that can accurately describe how an atheist defines himself, or why he is here and what he hopes to accomplish. I would add that not only do I enjoy identifying the fallacies, but also enjoy practicing writing skills and composing cogent arguments.

It's also where I get a broad survey of the different kinds of atheists and theists, which is an indirect indicator of whether I've made the right decision choosing secular humanism. I see other critical thinkers and note that we all process information roughly the same way and come to similar sound conclusions. I see their ethics and character. I see their demeanor and values. And I use that as the control group for evaluating all theism and its effect on its adherents to determine the value or problem with religion of various types. And in my case, it serves as evidentiary support for my antitheism, or the belief that the net effect of religion upon people is harmful (some is benign, but I haven't seen a religion yet generate better people than secular humanism, and a lot generate horrible people). Isn't that worth having conversations with theists while reviewing the words of other secular humanists? Converting Christians or attacking their theology is of no interest to me and no benefit to anybody.

I don't see any atheists fighting at all to convince others that gods don't exist. I think most are like me. I don't care what others believe if it doesn't bleed into my life. If my neighbor believes that dancing around a tree at midnight under a full moon while shaking a stick with a chicken claw nailed to it at the sky in order to center himself and give his life meaning, why would I care, or want to take that away from him - unless he was doing it too loudly, and event then, I wouldn't get into his beliefs with him, just his noisiness.

Most critical thinkers have learned that there is no way to convince a faith-based thinker that anything he believes by faith is incorrect, and that trying is futile. The critical thinker has nothing to offer but evidence and reason, and if one didn't come to his present position using those, he can't be budged by them, either. Sam Harris expressed the sentiment well:
  • "If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic? Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says, "Well, that's not how I choose to think about water"? All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn't share those values, the conversation is over."
Yours is a popular misconception. You see skeptics on RF as being here to attack religion or convert people to atheism. Neither of those appeal to me, as I've indicated.

What am I doing now? I've discussed what a worldview is with one poster, and here I'm disagreeing with your assessment of what atheists believe and what does and what doesn't motive them in a forum like this. And if you think about it, I'm generally not posting to the theists, even though those posts appear in the format of a reply to a theist's comments. The post to @SalixIncendium was for him. I do expect that he can read those words dispassionately and open-mindedly, and willing to be convinced by a compelling argument.

I don't expect that with most believers. I don't expect responsive answers or answers to questions asked. Those just aren't their values or skills. I asked you, " Can't you imagine a third position that some people might take that is neither of these? Multiple atheists have articulated that third position in this thread alone," and you didn't reply. That's what I expect.

I also wrote, "But you don't understand what is being said, rendering your judgment of the quality of the claim irrelevant. You need to evaluate what is actually being said to be able to decide that it is tap dancing, not what you've changed it into." Did you even see that? If so, did you understand it? If so, did you find it unworthy of a response? Who knows, but it's par for the course in these "discussions."

Why do you suppose I wrote this post?

You are right. The part theists need from atheists is critical thinking. They must learn if things do not add up, it isn't reality.

Life is about change. I have changed so many people in my lifetime that I can't count the number. When you talk with people. point them in the right direction every time. Move that grain of sand. In time, after enough sand has been moved they will change, come to you and say it was their idea all along. Since it has never been about me, it's ok because I know they have learned.

Is your goal talking with theists to make you feel smarter than others when you can point to all those flaws? Is it about them or is it about you?

Sure theists are set on their beliefs even though so many do not add up. Many do not hear you. On the other hand, do you hear them beyond the mere list of Beliefs. They are telling you more exists beyond this physical world whether they really have it figured out right or not.

Are you so sure of your ways that you never question them? Have you never been curious enough to take a journey or any effort to Discover whether there is something beyond this physical world, a God, or anything? If not, your actions are not about Discovering the Real truth, just mere ridiculing people trying, wrong as so many prove to be, to find God.

I really do not like placing labels on anyone because everyone is unique in their own way. One can say theists or atheists, however no one is exactly like any other.

Belief is not a bad thing. Even scientists start with a belief. The problem comes when people place more value on beliefs than facts. Still, it is a lesson that must be learned.

Is religion really all bad? I have seen religious people doing great acts of kindness for others.

Religion is a catalyst that brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be dealt with. After all, when one thinks one has God's blessing, one holds nothing back. Learning and goodness will eventually come out of this when people learn and grow through the adversities around those choices.

I think it's important to have theists and atheists. Through the struggles, each will experience that missing view that leads to the real answers. Each is a child of God. No one is more important than the other.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's the really weird thing about atheism. Ultimately it's just pointless negation. "I think nothing, I believe nothing, I claim nothing, but if you do ... YOU'RE WRONG!" :)
Exactly. "It's just the absence of belief. What? You believe in God? Where's your evidence???" That's a strange expression of a mere lack of belief there. :D

Bird123

I think you have misread that, try this:

A glass jar contains white and black marbles, someone says they believe there are more black marbles than white, I don't know if he's right, so I can't believe his claim and tell him. This doesn't mean I believe there are more white marbles.

What freezes quicker Hot water or cold water? I have had so many people give me answers to this. Are there more white or black marbles.

If you knew me you would know I am one who must know. I do not value beliefs so so many others. I count the marbles. I experiment to Discover cold water does freeze quicker than hot. Is this a Belief? No, it's what IS!!

That's what I see. it's very clear!!

Bird123

I'm not angry, nor did I say you are angry. However I don't see the beliefs you express reflecting reality in any objective way.

You have seen me pointing to where you can Discover the facts for yourself.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
What freezes quicker Hot water or cold water? I have had so many people give me answers to this. Are there more white or black marbles.

If you knew me you would know I am one who must know. I do not value beliefs so so many others. I count the marbles. I experiment to Discover cold water does freeze quicker than hot. Is this a Belief? No, it's what IS!!

That's what I see. it's very clear!!

"Mpemba effect," named after the Tanzanian high school student, Erasto Mpemba, who first observed it in 1963. The Mpemba effect occurs when two bodies of water with different temperatures are exposed to the same sub-zero surroundings and the hotter water freezes first.

I'd heard that one, bit it was a while ago. Salt content changes the freezing point of water, and air pressure changes the boiling point, that's how pressure cookers work.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Meriam Webster's
atheism
noun
1. a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Oxford English
atheism
noun
Disbelief in the existence of God

Wiktionary
noun
3. (very broadly) Absence of belief that any deities exist

Google
noun
1. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

:rolleyes:
Feels like you're reaching now.

lukethethird

unknown member
Exactly. "It's just the absence of belief. What? You believe in God? Where's your evidence???" That's a strange expression of a mere lack of belief there. :D
What difference does it make to anything that matters if there is a God or not?

...and what difference does it make if people believe or not?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Believe = your attitude is to accept it as true
Disbelieve = your attitude is to reject it as true

I reject that formulation.

Rather:
Disbelieve = your attitude is to not accept it as true.

Subtle, yet imo important, difference.

But ultimately belief is your attitude towards the (truth of the) claim: You can believe things are true, believe they are false

See, this is again that black and white thinking that you, and others in this thread, can't seem to get over.
To not believe something is true IS NOT THE SAME as believing it to be FALSE.

If your "attitutde" is I don't know, then
1. you are NOT believing it to be true
and
2. you are also NOT believing it to be false.

And once again, this is coming very close to what I said earlier....
That this ultimately comes down to the "belief" you insist upon actually being no more or less then:

"I believe that I believe that I believe that I believe that I don't believe this claim."

Which is as pointless as it gets.

Not in the slightest.
Wet is wet, dry is dry.

And nonbelief is nonbelief and belief is belief.
And they are not the same thing.

You can believe things are true, believe they are false, believe they are unproven, etc.

You can also not believe things are true (for whatever reason) and stop there, without believing those things to be false.

It's stated in definition 1 - "an opinion or conviction"

A theist is convinced of the claim that god exists.
An atheist is NOT convinced of that claim.

But sure, an atheist is "convinced that he isn't convinced" of that claim. :rolleyes:

As I've said repeatedly, you cannot remain neutral on a proposition you have comprehended

Sure. You either believe them OR YOU DO NOT.
And when you do not, then you aren't engaging in belief.

There is a link to a scientific paper earlier demonstrating this, if you'd like me to repost it let me know.

A scientific paper that says that not believing something is believing something? :rolleyes:

You cannot have a 'lack of belief' on any proposition you can comprehend.

And yet, I lack belief in the proposition of theism.

This is why pointing to dictionaries is so inane. There are so many contingencies involved in this issue that it's quite obviously contingent on a series of highly subjective value judgements to accept either position.

What seems inane to me, is the mental gymnastics people are willing to engage in to call non-belief, a belief.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Some atheists claim to know, even here on RF.

Unless you can give me an example of an atheist who holds the belief gods exist to be true, I'll stick with my belief that every atheist who can comprehend the statement believes it is not true.

Not believing a claim to be true, isn't the equivalent of believing the claim to be false.

I can only repeat myself ad nauseum.
It seems many people are unable to comprehend this simple thing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
But for half of the members of this forum, that's a belief. Having no belief is a belief. The rock has no belief, therefore it has a belief. All one need do now to decide if it is an atheist is to ask it if it believes in gods.

"I've got something in my hand, see if you can guess what it is."
"A key?"
Opens an empty hand.
I thought you said you had something in your hand?"
"I do. I have nothing. That's something. Zero is an amount."
"Go away."

This has been a very popular thread you started, but I'm amazed to see so many skeptics still trying to inform others what an atheist believes, and what constitutes a belief. Why bother? The only reason to even try is to inform the others of what one actually believes, but they're not interested. Once that's understood, what is left to say? What difference does it make how they define atheist or belief, or that they aren't interested in anything but trying to impose their definitions on others who reject their thinking? We just tell them what we think, and when it is understood that they aren't interested in anything except arguing over nothing and imposing their definitions on skeptics, you're done.

upload_2021-11-15_9-30-29.png

:)