• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief, so why would anyone lie that it is?

Do you accept atheism is not a belief, or do you lie it is?

• Total voters

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If you flip a coin and hide the results, then say it's heads. If I do not believe you then, yes, I believe it's tails

Then you are being irrational. As the reason for not believing the claim that it is heads would be that you have insufficient evidence / reason to commit to that claim as being true.

The exact same reasoning would apply to the claim that it is tails.
You wouldn't be able to accept that as "true" for the exact same reasons.

On the other hand, if I value facts over beliefs, I will make it a point to see the coin.

In other words: you wouldn't accept the claim as true that it is heads, and you also wouldn't accept the claim that it is tails - until you have sufficient reason to commit to either one.

SO: exactly as I said. NOT believing it is heads DOES NOT imply that you'll believe it to be tails instead.

The end.

You can't have it both ways

I'm not the one trying to have it both ways.

If I do not believe you when you say it's heads, how could I in my right might think it's heads? You do not add up.

That's what was said. That not believing the claim "a god exists" must necessarily mean that one must believe a god does NOT exist.

My coin toss analogy shows that that isn't true at all.
Not believing a claim does NOT necessarily mean that one will believe the opposite, or that one will believe the claim to be false (believing that the claim "it's heads" is false, is the equivalent of believing it is heads).

With such binary things, 2 claims are possible:

1. It is heads / the defendant is guilty / god exists.

2. it is tails / the defendant is innocent / god does not exist

The thing that many people seem unable to comprehend is that in the whole theist / atheist debate, only claim 1 is being discussed.

Just like in court, one is only discussing the claim of guilt - NOT the claim of innocence.
This is why a judge will rule "guilty" or "not guilty" and not "innocent".

I rule god to be "not guilty" of existing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I think you have misread that, try this:

A glass jar contains white and black marbles, someone says they believe there are more black marbles than white, I don't know if he's right, so I can't believe his claim and tell him. This doesn't mean I believe there are more white marbles.

I'm completely dumbfounded that apparently this simple thing is so difficult to comprehend for some.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think as usual my point has escaped you, no hard feelings anyway.

1, We were not discussing evidence per se, yet you seem to have leaped to that.
2. You asked which definition of atheism was the best.
3. You asked that evidence be provided with an answer to 2.

I asked you what you meant by best, you haven't answered. i pointed out that word definitions are not based on evidence they are referenced in dictionaries based on common usage. So I have no idea what your post has to do with that, but you do seem to leap all over the place, and lose focus, in some vain attempt to keep every conversation coming back to your agenda that no objective facts exist.

Is it an objective fact that the world is not flat? Or is the shape of the world based on subjective opinion?

No, objective facts exist, but it is not objective that they are the best of what happens in the world. In some cases subjective opinion is better than objective facts, but that is also subjective.

So here is your opinion and not an objective fact: Use the common definition of a word. Here is my opinion and not an objective fact: Go deeper.

So if you are a skeptic, you always go deeper, because you know you have to check further and can't for granted what is common among humans.

So here is one version of an atheist: I lack a belief in goods.
Now I ask: Is that an objective fact, a belief or an opinion or what? How do you know that you are an atheist? What makes you say that you are an atheist? How does it matter to you that you are an atheist?
See, you are a skeptic so now you do deeper and answer not that you are an atheist, but what caused you to become an atheist?

What is it, how does that work(causation and the rest of all of how does that work) and for humans, why does that matter?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well one could argue that a rock by virtue it has no mind cannot hold any beliefs, so a somewhat redundant observation. It would certainly be unreasonable to assume a rack didn't lack belief in a deity, but then it lacks beliefs full stop.
We end where I have already asked you this: Not that you are an atheist, but how come that you are an atheist?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
"As opposed to?" I'd say in concert with.

Yeah, if just the rest of us would shup up and bow down to the atheists as a "we, the atheists" it would be much better. The joke is that atheists do 2 things. They claim that atheism is a lack of beliefs in gods and they go on to do all the rest that all other humans do. But somehow that is different because all atheists do is that they lack a belief in gods, yet they do ethics, politics, science and philosophy for what is the correct way to understand the world in total.
And whether that is religion or not, depends on how religion is defined.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yeah, if just the rest of us would shup up and bow down to the atheists as a "we, the atheists" it would be much better. The joke is that atheists do 2 things. They claim that atheism is a lack of beliefs in gods and they go one to do all the rest that all other humans do. But somehow that is different because all atheists do is that they lack a belief in gods, yet they do ethics, politics, science and philosophy for what is the correct way to understand the world in total.
And whether that is religion or not, depends on how religion is defined.
And so presumptuous of them, given that not believing in God or gods obviously defines all that they can do. :oops:

Not accepting a claim as true, is not the same as believing the claim to be false.

Believing a claim is not true is a belief according to a perfectly normal definition of belief.

Sure. You either believe them OR YOU DO NOT.
And when you do not, then you aren't engaging in belief.

Many people would consider a stance you hold on an issue to be a belief.

Are you saying they are factually wrong, or you just hold a different subjective preference for the term belief?

A scientific paper that says that not believing something is believing something? :rolleyes:

No, it says if you can comprehend a proposition, you must necessarily hold a belief about it.

"Is there a difference between believing and merely understanding an idea? Descartes thought so. He considered the acceptance and rejection of an idea to be alternative outcomes of an effortful assessment process that occurs subsequent to the automatic comprehension of that idea... if one wishes to know the truth, then one should not believe an assertion until one finds evidence to justify doing so... One may entertain any hypothesis, but one may only believe those hypotheses that are supported by the facts.

According to Spinoza, the act of understanding is the act of believing. As such, people are incapable of withholding their acceptance of that which they understand. They may indeed change their minds after accepting the assertions they comprehend, but they cannot stop their minds from being changed by contact with those assertions. [He believed] that (a) the acceptance of an idea is part of the automatic comprehension of that idea and (b) the rejection of an idea occurs subsequent to, and more effortfully than, its acceptance."

Three experiments support the hypothesis that comprehension includes an initial belief in the information comprehended.

(From: You Can't Not Believe Everything You Read - Daniel T. Gilbert, Romin W Tafarodi, and Patrick S. Malone & How mental systems believe - D Gilbert)

https://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilbert et al (EVERYTHING YOU READ).pdf

Do you reject the conclusions of the paper? If so, why? If not, then we agree you can't 'lack belief' regarding a proposition you can comprehend.

Not believing a claim to be true, isn't the equivalent of believing the claim to be false.

I can only repeat myself ad nauseum.
It seems many people are unable to comprehend this simple thing.

Not believing something exists is the same as believing it doesn't exist. It seems many people are unable to comprehend this simple thing.

For example, what contingencies do you make in life based on the possibility that gods exist? Nothing?

Why? Because your conceptual map of things that exist does not contain any gods.

There is no practical difference.

Yes we can say there is a linguistic difference, but whether we judge that as being 'real' dividing line between people or a linguistic quirk only possible in some languages and thus not meaningful is a subjective judgement

See, this is again that black and white thinking that you, and others in this thread, can't seem to get over.

Black and white?

I continually acknowledge that this issue depends on numerous subjective judgements regarding language, philosophy and science and that ultimately there is no 'correct' answer to this question as all of the views being expressed are common and legitimately debatable.

Do you agree with this? Or is it black and white?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Believing a claim is not true is a belief according to a perfectly normal definition of belief.

But not believing a claim, is not necessarily the equivalent of believing the claim is false.

Many people would consider a stance you hold on an issue to be a belief.

Not believing something is not a belief.
You can only call it a "belief" when you misrepresent that by pretending that not believing claim X, is the equivalent of believing claim X is false.

And that seems to be the red thread in this entire conversation....

People thinking that not believing claim X implies that one believes claim X to be FALSE (and thus positively believing the opposite of X). This is incorrect.

Are you saying they are factually wrong, or you just hold a different subjective preference for the term belief?

I'm saying it is wrong to state that disbelieving claim X is the equivalent of positively believing the opposite of X.

Not believing something is not a belief.
Believing something is a belief.

:rolleyes:

No, it says if you can comprehend a proposition, you must necessarily hold a belief about it.

I disagree and grew tired of explaining why as it starts to seriously feel like talking to a brick wall.

"Is there a difference between believing and merely understanding an idea? Descartes thought so. He considered the acceptance and rejection of an idea to be alternative outcomes of an effortful assessment process that occurs subsequent to the automatic comprehension of that idea... if one wishes to know the truth, then one should not believe an assertion until one finds evidence to justify doing so... One may entertain any hypothesis, but one may only believe those hypotheses that are supported by the facts.

According to Spinoza, the act of understanding is the act of believing. As such, people are incapable of withholding their acceptance of that which they understand. They may indeed change their minds after accepting the assertions they comprehend, but they cannot stop their minds from being changed by contact with those assertions. [He believed] that (a) the acceptance of an idea is part of the automatic comprehension of that idea and (b) the rejection of an idea occurs subsequent to, and more effortfully than, its acceptance."

Three experiments support the hypothesis that comprehension includes an initial belief in the information comprehended.

(From: You Can't Not Believe Everything You Read - Daniel T. Gilbert, Romin W Tafarodi, and Patrick S. Malone & How mental systems believe - D Gilbert)

https://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilbert et al (EVERYTHING YOU READ).pdf

Do you reject the conclusions of the paper? If so, why? If not, then we agree you can't 'lack belief' regarding a proposition you can comprehend.

I think you go through great lengths to obfuscate a very simple thing with "philosophical" gibber gabber that is neither here nor there.

I hold lots of beliefs. I believe a lot of things.
God's existence isn't one of them.
And that makes me an atheist.

The end.

Not believing something exists is the same as believing it doesn't exist.

No, it isn't.

"I don't believe X is true" is not the equivalent of saying "I believe X is false".

I'm sorry you can't seem to get this through your philosophical mist.

Frankly I grew tired of trying to explain it.
Clearly this is a waste of time.

For example, what contingencies do you make in life based on the possibility that gods exist? Nothing?
Why? Because your conceptual map of things that exist does not contain any gods.

There is no practical difference.

I have already acknowledged that for all practical intents and purposes, we always operate in light of the null hypothesis until sufficient reason is given to move away from the null hypothesis.

This is why we treat people as if they are innocent until sufficient reason is provided to consider them guilty.
That does not mean that people ARE innocent, nor does that mean that we BELIEVE them to be innocent.

It just means that they are treated as such.
Gods, extra-dimensional unicorns, undetectable dragons, alien abductions... get the same treatment.

Null hypothesis, burden of proof, and all that jazz.......

Yawn.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What difference does it make to anything that matters if there is a God or not?

...and what difference does it make if people believe or not?
You should ask that of the atheist. It certainly seems to matter to them there needs to be concrete evidence, like hair samples or such, in order for people to believe. Doesn't seem a very passive lack of belief to me. Sounds like an opposition, an insistence upon acceptable criteria. Why does it matter so much to them, if it's just a mere lack of belief? Can you answer that?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then the exact same applies to the term "agnostic".
If you can't be an atheist when you don't even know about god-claims, then you can't be agnostic about said claim either.
The example was about a jury deciding upon a guilty, innocent, or undecided verdict. If they don't even know what the question is, then there aren't even on the jury. There are outside of the courthouse, outside of the debate. Hence, a child who has no knowledge of the question of God, cannot be called either a theist, an atheist, or an agnostic.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Straw man, I've emboldened the sophistry used to create this false position.
It's fine if you call yourself and atheist. It's not fine if you call others one's because you think they should be atheists because that makes your beliefs the "default position". That's no different than a Christian claiming all children are born believing in God. That's equally as self-serving and absurd.

But not believing a claim, is not necessarily the equivalent of believing the claim is false.

Are you aware that, philosophically, this is a very debatable position?

I think you go through great lengths to obfuscate a very simple thing with "philosophical" gibber gabber that is neither here nor there.

It's a peer-reviewed scientific paper addressing a point that is actually very consequential in a world where we are constantly exposed to information much of which is untrue.

Strange that a rationalist becomes hostile to science and scholarship whenever they don't support their preconceived, and ideologically informed judgements.

This makes your signature a bit ironic: "Reality is not what you perceive it to be. Instead, it's what the tools and methods of science reveal." ~Neil DeGrass Tyson

Maybe you should change it to "Reality is not what you perceive it to be. Instead, it's what I perceive it to be" :D

"I don't believe X is true" is not the equivalent of saying "I believe X is false".

I'm sorry you can't seem to get this through your philosophical mist.

As I've said, I understand that this and the whole issue we are discussing depends on numerous subjectivities. I understand your point, it is simple, I just don't agree with it. Despite this I still recognise it as valid.

You, on the other hand, seem to be the one unable to grasp the basic fact that it is legitimately a highly subjective issue, as I asked you directly and you chose to avoid answering.

I'm sorry you can't grasp that this issue depends on numerous legitimately debatable scientific, philosophical and linguistic assumptions and that it's not as simple as just stating you are right because you and other like minded people say so. If this assumption is wrong feel free to correct me.

Strange you criticise others for seeing things in a naive black and white manner...

Secret Chief

Degrow!
It's fine if you call yourself and atheist. It's not fine if you call others one's because you think they should be atheists because that makes your beliefs the "default position". That's no different than a Christian claiming all children are born believing in God. That's equally as self-serving and absurd.
Apparently some Muslims call some people a revert rather than a convert, since everyone is born a Muslim.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Given you started a thread based on your dislike of atheism, and used it to misrepresent many of the atheists here, some of whom have demonstrated you have misrepresented their position in the poll. I am going to clutch my belly and laugh now. Thanks for that...
I'm sorry, what? I started a thread about atheism? Where? Can you share a link to it? If you mean this thread, did you forget you started it with your dishonest poll questions? That poll is a strawman. You are projecting something here, now imagining it was me who started this thread when it was you! :)

Exactly my response to you claiming I started this thread. How does that go? ROTFLMAO? Something like that?

I don't write the dictionaries, and the Oxford English (oldest and largest English dictionary) and Meriam Webster's largest US dictionary, and Wiktionary and Google the two largest online dictionaries seem to suggest you are grossly misrepresenting me again.
Do you know who writes dictionaries, and the process of how they are created? Do you not know that they are not considered primary sources of authority on subject matters, and that the people who write them are not experts in each of those fields? I don't believe you know that. You seem to treat them as if they were Holy Scripture, as if they were written by divine inspiration, or something. A hangover from your religion days?

And why I say you misrepresent them, is because you do. I called you out on your quote, "a lack of belief in God" as if you can apply that to children who have no knowledge of God. That's twisting the words the same way apologists twist scripture to fit their irrational beliefs.

A child has no knowledge of God, so it cannot be a "lack of belief in God". It's just a lack of awareness of the question, not a lack of belief in God. They also lack an awareness of democracy, airplanes, outerspace, and lots of other things. Would you say they lack a belief in democracy, because they don't know what one is? That's an absurd use of language.

Yet, you persist against all reason to press your irrational position. It's like a creationist denying science showing evolution is real.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm completely dumbfounded that apparently this simple thing is so difficult to comprehend for some.

Yes, this is the compelling feature of many of the people condemning atheists and atheism - they don't know what an atheist actually believes and they appear to be literally unable to conceive of agnostic atheism. They don't disagree with the position. They cannot conceive of it to disagree with it.

One wonders why we see so many in the theist ranks like this, and also, how it is possible. This brings me to the idea of false consensus - the erroneous cognitive bias that we are all basically the same, varying in degree rather than type: "The tendency to overestimate how much other people agree with us is known among social psychologists as the false consensus effect. This kind of cognitive bias leads people to believe that their own values and ideas are "normal" and that the majority of people share these same opinions."

Here the term is being used in the arena of values, but I'm expanding it to simple understanding. We know that others may know more or less, and be quicker or slower, but we assume that we are all processing information more or less the same way with varying degrees of expertise. Then, one encounters this phenomenon.

It took me years to realize that trying to find the right words to make these ideas comprehensible simply isn't possible with what seems to be over half of the theists in this thread alone. I finally concluded that this will be impossible with many such people. They can no more comprehend such ideas than a blind person can see. It's not a matter of arranging the lighting just right or raising the blinds or finding the right lens prescription to make the blind see. They just can't do it, and no number of interventions will change that. "Just look harder," we say, thinking that there must be a way to get light into those eyes. So, we open the blinds. He still doesn't see. We turn up the lights. He still doesn't see. We bring the image right up to his eyes and he still doesn't see. And we are confused, because we falsely think that he is basically the same, when he isn't.

The problem isn't resolved until we recognize that blindness not only is possible, but here it is. At that point, once we find ourselves dealing with people who just can't seem to see what is shown them, that they have some physical condition that prevents them apprehending the sights we see, we stop trying to show them things.

Now look at this thread. We have a population of people that cannot conceive of agnostic atheism, and a group that hasn't accept that, people who are trying every verbal combination they can think of to show this idea to the blind. This is false consensus - the idea that all others are like you to a greater or lesser degree.

Once we recognize and acknowledge this phenomenon - that such people are the functional equivalent of the blind when it comes to these ideas, and that it is futile to try to explain such a simple idea, that the failure isn't because the explainer hasn't found the right words yet, but rather that the explainee can no more conceive of that idea than a blind man can see himself in a mirror - the next questions are, why are they all theists, and why is no atheists similarly afflicted?

Does this cognitive blindness precede theism, whether genetic or acquired early, and draws people to a god belief, or does having a god belief lead to this state? If the latter, it is a good argument against teaching children to believe in gods. I can't tell yet, but I'm leaning toward it being acquired as one is convinced that faith is a virtue and reason the enemy trying to steal your soul.

If this is a principle cause of this cognitive blindness, it tells us that the damage that this does to the development of the reasoning faculty is profound and lasting. That may account for the correlation of this phenomenon in theists.

Theists like to ask why an atheist wants to come to where theists are to discuss matters with them. This in part is why. Not as they like to say, to argue with them about gods, or to ask for their evidence, or to promote atheism. Most skeptics know that they have no evidence and also don't mind if they want to be theists. It's field work. It's the lab section. It's where individual theists (and atheists) can be observed for weeks to years, and inductions extracted not possible without that extended interaction, and often not possible outside of an anonymous Internet site. I'm certainly not going to have these discussion face to face with people that I know if I want to continue to know them.

Imagine telling somebody at Thanksgiving dinner or at work that they just aren't getting it about agnostic atheism and trying twenty times to correct that. It won't go well. The last time I tried to get into such a discussion was with a man and his wife that I knew through work, and was friendly with. I remember asking him, a Christian, if he thought that I, an atheist, was going to hell. Like a politician, he did everything in his power to avoid giving me an answer.

I persisted in the spirit of the skeptics in this thread, and it ended up being the end of the relationship that night. I should have backed off much sooner, but I did learn that such discussions are a bad idea until I found the Internet religious sites. Only here is this degree of tapping the glass possible. People will engage you ad nauseum if you like.

Anyway, my purpose with this post is to put it out there for the skeptics still trying to find a way into these minds to consider that the task may be impossible so that they can more quickly come to that conclusion and adjust accordingly. It took me forever to recognize that.

Last edited: