• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief.

questfortruth

A famous meme says, "There are no atheists in a war." A renowned atheist replied that
this is an argument against wars, not atheism.

But there are no atheists in a falling aircraft, either. Is this an argument not against
atheism but against aircraft falls? Who cares about the falls? It is safer to take a plane than a train.

It's important to note that atheism is not merely a belief, but a lack of belief in a higher power. This is why it can be 'switched off' so easily, as it's not a belief system that requires constant affirmation.

A famous meme says, "There are no atheists in a war." A renowned atheist replied that

But there are no atheists in a falling aircraft, either. Is this an argument not against
atheism but against aircraft falls? Who cares about the falls? It is safer to take a plane than a train.

It's important to note that atheism is not merely a belief, but a lack of belief in a higher power. This is why it can be 'switched off' so easily, as it's not a belief system that requires constant affirmation.

How can I switch off my atheism?

Do you have any tricks that can get me to stop believing in the non-existence of God?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I wouldn't even call it a lack of belief in a higher power which suggests to me as being a missing component.

It's without belief in a higher power with no missing component.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
"Atheism" may be a belief if one defines it this way: Atheism: a belief there are no deities.

If one questions whether there may be deities, that's when I prefer the term "agnostic".

F1fan

Veteran Member
You cannot. But life can: there are no atheists in a falling aircraft.
Let’s say you’re correct for once and it takes a life threatening situation before an atheist needs to emotionally appeal to a God. First, the God answers none of the prayers. Second, for all those walking around in everyday life believing in a God their lives must be in such emotional turmoil that they have to appeal to God all the time just to cope. Atheists can take care of themselves and not be distracted by emotional distress and anxiety.

Bear in mind that’s a saying, not an actual fact. I mean in a panic people might think about god, or the might think about something else. The few times I thought I might be about to die I didn’t start praying or give mr beardy in the sky a thought.

Honestly, if I’m falling out of the sky, the last thing that is likely to occur to me is to start thinking about Theological and Philosophical issues.

That stuff takes a lot of time, and that time is running out.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I follow, but I'll comment that if one's "belief system" requires constant affirmation one has not figured out one's way of life (religion) yet. When you figure out who you are and whose you are, it just is - it's who and what you are in practice every moment of each day. It becomes a lot of work if your surrounding culture does not accept your who and whose - then you have to defend yourself from those who attack you with messages that your existence is wrong, somehow.

Eli G

But some atheists act as if the non-existence of God is a doctrine they are forced to believe.