• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a belief.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There are no atheists that think this way. Only theists who try to create false positions for atheists write things like you do. No one thinks about the "non-existence" of things not known to exist. That you and other believers go on about atheists suggests you are sensitive to the fact that no one can show any gods exist outside of human imagination.

And there is no atheist doctrine, and there is no one forced to believe such an absurd notion.

If believers really had some sort of truth they would be calm and at peace with their belief and that atheists exist in the world. But this sort of misrepresentation suggests an deep insecurity and concern that your religious beliefs may be wrong.

Well, there are these atheists:
"...
Definitions
Atheism is the comprehensive world view of persons who are free from theism and have freed themselves of supernatural beliefs altogether. It is predicated on ancient Greek Materialism.

Atheism involves the mental attitude that unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a life-style and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and the scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds.

Materialism declares that the cosmos is devoid of immanent conscious purpose; that it is governed by its own inherent, immutable, and impersonal laws; that there is no supernatural interference in human life; that humankind, finding the resources within themselves, can and must create their own destiny. It teaches that we must prize our life on earth and strive always to improve it. It holds that human beings are capable of creating a social system based on reason and justice. Materialism’s ‘faith’ is in humankind and their ability to transform the world culture by their own efforts. This is a commitment that is, in its very essence, life-asserting. It considers the struggle for progress as a moral obligation that is impossible without noble ideas that inspire us to bold, creative works. Materialism holds that our potential for good and more fulfilling cultural development is, for all practical purposes, unlimited."
They are not like the ones we have here.

But yes, it is not forced. It is just a dogmatic doctrine, that has to be accepted on faith in the end.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I don't think that the existence/non-existence of God has anything to do with Science.
Right, imaginary characters are irrelevant to science.
Actually, even if a person never meets his parents or feels the need to, he would never doubt that his life arose from the genetic contribution of a man and a woman.
That's because reproduction is an observed phenomena. What isn't observed or factual is a God creating humans out of dirt. Where's this God, and how did it do this magic? Believers can't answer either, so we throw it out.
But it is a problem that scientists should address, as a psychological or social issue,... Why do some of them assume that the non-existence of God is a "scientific" doctrine that they should prove?
Who does this in reality, not in your imagined scenario? I've never seen any atheists say such an absurd thing.

And no one has to assume the non-existence of things not known to exist, like gods.

And lastly the social sciences do study why people believe in irrational ideas.
Furthermore, it is a moral issue: real scientists are being misrepresented.
By bad faith theists like yourself.

If theists try to present themselves as moral and upright, why are they dishonest about atheists, science, and their own religious beliefs?

F1fan

Veteran Member
How does it work? How many times do you need to get heads before you know you’ll always get heads? What is the magic number!
It's called the gambler's fallacy. No matter how many times a coin comes up heads it will still be 50/50 that the next toss will be tails.
The sun has risen every day of my life so far. Do I know that it will rise tomorrow, or is it a strong belief?
It's knowledge because the solar system is a functional system that is interactive and stable. If the sun were to suddenly stop burning the earth would quickly become lifeless.

Knowledge is knowing that mixing sodium and cholride, two poisons, results in table salt and safe to eat. Strong belief can be any confident judgment, like a jury convinced that a defendant is guilty, or even that wearing your lucky socks to the big game will help your team win. Strong belief does not imply reasonable.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Well, there are these atheists:
"...
Definitions
Atheism is the comprehensive world view of persons who are free from theism and have freed themselves of supernatural beliefs altogether. It is predicated on ancient Greek Materialism.
That is rather obscure these days.
Atheism involves the mental attitude that unreservedly accepts the supremacy of reason and aims at establishing a life-style and ethical outlook verifiable by experience and the scientific method, independent of all arbitrary assumptions of authority and creeds.
Reasoning works. The theism based on faith fails.

If we want truth we go with the winner, and with what's reliable, and what works.
Materialism declares that the cosmos is devoid of immanent conscious purpose; that it is governed by its own inherent, immutable, and impersonal laws; that there is no supernatural interference in human life; that humankind, finding the resources within themselves, can and must create their own destiny. It teaches that we must prize our life on earth and strive always to improve it. It holds that human beings are capable of creating a social system based on reason and justice. Materialism’s ‘faith’ is in humankind and their ability to transform the world culture by their own efforts. This is a commitment that is, in its very essence, life-asserting. It considers the struggle for progress as a moral obligation that is impossible without noble ideas that inspire us to bold, creative works. Materialism holds that our potential for good and more fulfilling cultural development is, for all practical purposes, unlimited."
They are not like the ones we have here.
That's why materialism is a winner.
But yes, it is not forced. It is just a dogmatic doctrine, that has to be accepted on faith in the end.
How is atheism a "dogmatic doctrine"? Be sure the answer follows the common definition of both words.

And how is atheism something that is accepted on faith? Where is the authority declaring the dostrine, how it is recognized, and who are the followers? As an atheist I've never be informed about any of this.

Tomef

But some atheists act as if the non-existence of God is a doctrine they are forced to believe.
It’s important to realise there’s a difference between what you think other people think, and what they actually think.

firedragon

Veteran Member
According to a study, almost one out of five of those who identify as atheists believe in a higher power. Only thing is that study lists them as unaffiliated.

Tomef

So, when an atheist claims "God is not real", it is not belief but knowledge?
It’s not quite the same thing. If I see no reason to believe there is a god, that is something similar to saying I see no reason to believe my dog lights up a pipe, puts on slippers and reads the newspaper when I go out. To someone who sees no reason to seriously consider more outlandish ideas people had thousands of years ago, like Aristotle’s obsession with beans, for example, still have any relevance, that’s not a ridiculous comparison. A belief, as I take it to be generally understood, is rather something a person is engaged with. Not believing in things you see no reason at all to give any credit to lacks that engagement.

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheism is a faith choice, just like theism is. The atheist does not know, yet chooses to presume, that there are no gods. And then he lives his life as if this is so. Just exactly in the same way as the theist does not know, but chooses to presume that there is a God of his own understanding and then lives his life accordingly.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
*touching * the void
Yeah, it's been a while since I'd seen the movie.
You'd think that I'd notice the correct title on the youtube clip, eh.
e327960fed0ad543c43bfce0d24dbd29.gif

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That is rather obscure these days.

Reasoning works. The theism based on faith fails.

If we want truth we go with the winner, and with what's reliable, and what works.

That's why materialism is a winner.

How is atheism a "dogmatic doctrine"? Be sure the answer follows the common definition of both words.

And how is atheism something that is accepted on faith? Where is the authority declaring the dostrine, how it is recognized, and who are the followers? As an atheist I've never be informed about any of this.

Well, it is beyound your understand how even reason has a limit, because as far as I can tell your self-worth is connected to your belief that your are really in effect objectively rational. You are not, but you can't understand that because you can't catch when you are subjective.
As for materialism is a winner. That is not science, objective or rationality. That is a subjective feeling.

So you hold on faith that you are objectively rational and materilism is a winner, but that it is evithout evidence. But you can't understand that, because you really are in your own understanding objectively rational.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a stance on whether or not there is proof or evidence for God. Although not technically by definition, it is so by reality.