• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

ArtieE

When a single concept is expanded to be too inclusive of almost all and everything there is, it becomes useless.
Only those who want to build a straw man do that. The rest of us use common sense and reason that since as far as we know only members of the human race have invented gods only members of the human race are involved in the theism/atheism discussion.

ArtieE

Even though I agree with you in essence, I just don't agree on the broad use of the term "atheism".

After all, "a-theism" only means "without god" or "no god". It doesn't mean "no belief in god." And, if I understand it right, the first uses of the term "atheist" was more in the sense of rejection of the culturally accepted gods, not just a general unbelief in God. That's a concept that has been added to the word in modern time. And I don't like that addition.
The word was first coined to describe people who didn't believe in the gods one was officially supposed to believe in.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Only those who want to build a straw man do that. The rest of us use common sense and reason that since as far as we know only members of the human race have invented gods only members of the human race are involved in the theism/atheism discussion.

I follow your logic here. Rocks did not invent gods so rocks are not involved in the theism/atheism discussion.

But wait...

Babies did not invent gods so babies are not involved in the theism/atheism discussion?

ArtieE

I follow your logic here. Rocks did not invent gods so rocks are not involved in the theism/atheism discussion.

But wait...

Babies did not invent gods so babies are not involved in the theism/atheism discussion?
Babies are members of the human race and since members of the human race invented gods we include babies with those who don't believe in Gods. They are just not old enough yet to know what they are or to decide whether to believe they exist or don't exist.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Babies are members of the human race and since members of the human race invented gods we include babies with those who don't believe in Gods. They are just not old enough yet to know what they are or to decide whether to believe they exist or don't exist.
But babies as atheists would only be used as someone trying to make a straw man argument, such as saying the default position is atheism.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Even though I agree with you in essence, I just don't agree on the broad use of the term "atheism".

After all, "a-theism" only means "without god" or "no god". It doesn't mean "no belief in god."
You're exactly wrong here. It DOES mean "no belief in God". Theism is a combination of "theos", meaning God, and the suffix "ism", meaning belief. The word therefore means "God belief", and adding the prefix "a-" changes it to "without God belief". It does not mean "without God", it means precisely "without belief in God".

And, if I understand it right, the first uses of the term "atheist" was more in the sense of rejection of the culturally accepted gods, not just a general unbelief in God. That's a concept that has been added to the word in modern time. And I don't like that addition.
You may use whatever variation of the definition you prefer, but that doesn't make the broader definition any less useful or accurate.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
You're exactly wrong here. It DOES mean "no belief in God". Theism is a combination of "theos", meaning God, and the suffix "ism", meaning belief. The word therefore means "God belief", and adding the prefix "a-" changes it to "without God belief". It does not mean "without God", it means precisely "without belief in God".
If -ism means belief, then a-the-ism means belief in not God. Or No-God-Belief.

You may use whatever variation of the definition you prefer, but that doesn't make the broader definition any less useful or accurate.
Again, the no-belief in God is a more modern definition. If you look in older dictionaries of "atheism" and its definition, most (if not all) have the "belief in no God" (if I remember it right from my past).

Curious George

Veteran Member

Theism may literally translate to God belief, but theism requires more than just God belief. Specifically theism also requires the rejection of the proposition "God does not exist."

So not theist then requires the rejection of the belief in God and the acceptance of the proposition God does not exist.

ArtieE

Lol, I am not sure I can remember what I was at birth. But looking back logically, I do not think I was capable of belief.
:) Thank you. So you start off in life without belief in gods. When you grow up you can become a theist or a strong atheist unless you just stay a weak atheist without any of those beliefs.

ArtieE

Theism may literally translate to God belief, but theism requires more than just God belief. Specifically theism also requires the rejection of the proposition "God does not exist."

So not theist then requires the rejection of the belief in God and the acceptance of the proposition God does not exist.
No it doesn't. It just requires the absence of the position God exists and the absence of the position God doesn't exist.

Curious George

Veteran Member
:) Thank you. So you start off in life without belief in gods. When you grow up you can become a theist or a strong atheist unless you just stay a weak atheist without any of those beliefs.
You start out in life without belief. Once you are capable of forming belief you do so. But the lack of belief accorded to a weak implicit atheist is starkly different from an weak explicit atheist.