• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Not at all. You

Not at all. You have full knowledge that the coin has a head side and a tail side.

So, do we agree that even though Joe says there is at least a chair he is either wrong or right, since he has full knowledge that either there is at least a chair or none at all?

Ciao

- viole

atanu

Premium Member
So, do we agree that even though Joe says there is at least a chair he is either wrong or right, since he has full knowledge that either there is at least a chair or none at all?
Ciao
- viole

Yes nearly. Same as tossing a coin and predicting "Either a head or a tail". But there may be a coin without any head or tail.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Yes nearly. Same as tossing a coin and predicting "Either a head or a tail". But there may be a coin without any head or tail.
Nearly?

If you agree,then it makes no sense to say that Joe is neither right or wrong. He is, indeed, either right or wrong. Don't you think?

Please consider that I cannot imagine a room that has neither at least a chair nor no chair at all. Can you?

Ciao

- viole

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
When I dream I do.
Wait. It was more specific than just having some semi-conscious state. It's more specific, are you believing in God when you're dreaming?

Other than that, I would have no way of knowing. Even with my dreams, I don't remember all of them.
Well, since not knowing = implicit non-belief. You would then admit that you are implicitly don't believe that you do. And if you don't have a belief in God in deep sleep, then you have to admit you're an implicit atheist during that time. I'm sure you'll disagree on this.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
This is nonsensical though. You are changing the example to better suit your argument. How can a chair have neither a chair in it nor no chair in it? Something is either "true", as it lines up with reality, or it is "false" as in it does not line up with reality. The speaker's knowledge is irrelevant because the statement is either true or false despite it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Wait. It was more specific than just having some semi-conscious state. It's more specific, are you believing in God when you're dreaming?

Well, since not knowing = implicit non-belief. You would then admit that you are implicitly don't believe that you do. And if you don't have a belief in God in deep sleep, then you have to admit you're an implicit atheist during that time. I'm sure you'll disagree on this.
1. Yes. In all of the dreams I can remember after waking up, my belief in God is present.
2. I am not able to say what I believe during dreams or sleep that I can't remember at all. I would assume that at any time I am conscious, my belief in God is present.

Why does any of this matter at all? Even if, when my brain is off or whatever, I am, implicitly, an atheist, I don't see why that causes any issue. When would that come up with any real importance?

ArtieE

once again, you are dictating what is the "proper" words.
No I'm just telling you what the proper words are after reading tons of definitions and explanations and understanding them.
I disagree with your interpretation, because other words, not requiring modifiers, already exist, existed long before anyone started this implicit/explicit and weak/strong modifiers for atheism (which appears to be in the 1970s, from what I can tell). To wit: Theist is perfectly fine for someone who believes.
Theist is perfectly fine for someone who believes god(s) exist.
Atheist is perfectly fine for someone who actively believes that there is no god/gods.
No, strong atheist is perfectly fine for someone who actively believes that there are no gods.
Agnostic is perfectly fine for one who is neither theist or atheist.
Not at all. Agnostic is perfectly fine for someone who doesn't know whether gods exist or don't exist. You can have both agnostic theists and agnostic atheists.

atanu

Premium Member
Nearly?

If you agree,then it makes no sense to say that Joe is neither right or wrong. He is, indeed, either right or wrong. Don't you think?

Please consider that I cannot imagine a room that has neither at least a chair nor no chair at all. Can you?

Ciao

- viole
Now suppose that Joe has never seen or heard of a chair. He has no conception. Being in dark means that. isn't it? A baby is in this position.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Now suppose that Joe has never seen or heard of a chair. He has no conception.

we will address that later. Suppose that he does.

Do we agree that under this premise he is either right or wrong?

Ciao

- viole

atanu

Premium Member
we will address that later. Suppose that he does.

- viole

Then the metaphor of a dark room is not applicable. You have already introduced some light. Please do not change the reference point that we are talking of beliefs of babies. Also do not kindly stretch the metaphor beyond what it is intended for.

A baby has no conception regarding deity.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Or rather, there's no coin at all. Which side comes up from a coin that hasn't been tossed yet?

Jumi

So...everyone goes to heaven?........

Picture Jesus, Judas and Hitler at the same Table...sharing bread and a sauce bowl....
looking each other.....in the eye....

oh hell.....
Well that's how Christianity was taught where I live, belief not actions. If you have personal relationship with Jesus you're going to heaven no matter what you do was how it was taught. It made zero sense to me of course, why have a punishment if it's not for anything other than lacking belief.

jonathan180iq

But there may be a coin without any head or tail.
Coins without heads or tails are called marbles... And we aren't talking about marbles. We are talking about coins, and coins have heads and tails.

Just like a room either has a chair in it or it does not.
There is no situation in reality where a room can both have a chair and not have a chair.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Even if, when my brain is off or whatever, I am, implicitly, an atheist, I don't see why that causes any issue. When would that come up with any real importance?
Let's posit a man that is the only person in the whole wide world, all others having suddenly vanished. And he's never heard of god. Who is there to imply his atheism for him?