• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

ArtieE

So theists are just non-converted atheists. ;)
Christians don't believe in gods with one exception. If we could get them to not believe in the Christian God too they would be 100% atheists.

That would mean that everyone is essentially some form of atheist.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Christians don't believe in gods with one exception. If we could get them to not believe in the Christian God too they would be 100% atheists.

That would mean that everyone is essentially some form of atheist.
So, if atheism is just a term for everything, at a state on a continuous scale, then the term "atheism" is superfluous. It doesn't really add any meaning or purpose, has no function for labeling things. It's like saying "it has color". Great. It does. But which kind? To say someone is atheist has in itself not additive meaning. You always have to qualify it with some additional adjective or noun, or it doesn't say anything. If I meet a person and he tells me he's an atheist, then I can say, well, me too, and the neighbor too, and everyone else too, so you're not special. So then, nothing has been really said until he can explain what kind of atheist (or human) he is. All the meaning falls on the qualifiers, completely.

With that now out of the way, then it shouldn't be a problem for someone to call themselves atheistic atheistic even theistic atheist.

---edit

Ooops. I found a slight error. It was meant to say: "then it shouldn't be a problem for someone to call themselves pantheistic atheist, or even theistic atheist."

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

Show us something that doesn't obey cause and effect law.

I think what was trying to be said is that there exists a fundamental level of interaction in the universe for which there is no out-right cause. For instance, gravity. We know that accumulation of mass increases gravity, but what is the real cause? As far as I know, it is unknown. We know that protons within an atom's structure maintain one polarity of charge and that electrons maintain an opposing/attractive charge. Why is this? Again, the true cause is unknown. Existence simply could not BE without there being these fundamental, unalterable and immutable functions. And that base layer does not, in any way, imply an intelligence.

From your perspective, this immutable layer of function is your God, is it not? A thing which does not obey cause and effect. And (beating a dead horse here) I would say that if the relatively "simplistic" immutable/base/fundamental mechanisms that run the universe like gravity and polar-charge attractions necessitate an intelligence having been behind them in your eyes, then something as grand as your God must also have required an intelligence to have been set into motion - and so on, and so on... ad nauseum.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So, if atheism is just a term for everything, at a state on a continuous scale, then the term "atheism" is superfluous. It doesn't really add any meaning or purpose, has no function for labeling things. It's like saying "it has color". Great. It does. But which kind? To say someone is atheist has in itself not additive meaning. You always have to qualify it with some additional adjective or noun, or it doesn't say anything. If I meet a person and he tells me he's an atheist, then I can say, well, me too, and the neighbor too, and everyone else too, so you're not special. So then, nothing has been really said until he can explain what kind of atheist (or human) he is. All the meaning falls on the qualifiers, completely.

With that now out of the way, then it shouldn't be a problem for someone to call themselves atheistic atheistic even theistic atheist.
It seems you are attempting to erode a line drawn.....and at the same time draw one.

After all that has been said in this thread.....I still contend....
There is no god...is a declaration.
It is a declaration has the mere utterance comes from having thought about it.
even if those thoughts were shallow and emotionally driven.

'not something special'....indeed.

God and heaven would be interested in something special.
Why choose out of mediocrity, when the very best is at hand to choose from?