• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Okay. Then probably you are agnostic atheist. Or may be I am wrong again?

I don't hold the belief that god(s) exist.
I don't hold the belief that god(s) don't exist.

Some people call that atheist. Some call it agnostic. Some call it both. Whatever you want to call it is up to you.

atanu

Premium Member
I don't hold the belief that god(s) exist.
I don't hold the belief that god(s) don't exist

Some people call that atheist. Some call it agnostic. Some call it both. Whatever you want to call it is up to you.

To me, this position (highlighted with blue above) when linked with your earlier statement "do not know either way whether god exists, so do not believe either way" is unambiguous, label or no label.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Or just doesn't know the answer.
Would you accept Wikipedia as an authority? There is nothing on the 'Agnostic' page that suggests that the agnostic is ignorant (just as there is nothing on the 'Athiest' page that suggests that).

Okay. Then probably you are agnostic atheist. You have clear linkage between states of knowledge and belief or non belief.

Or may be I am wrong again?
I would offer the idea if I may that perhaps labelling things is the most direct path to killing the experience of truth. The minute you put a linguistic tile on something and label it with an epoxy of context, you have killed the felt presence of immediate experience, which is boundless in dimension. Until you label it. After that it is difficult to escape the mental templates we create, and the more we define them and apply them, the more we diminish the possibilities in everything. So, rather than to say that someone is a Monistic Idealist Pantheist, which is a classification piled on a classification, we could be direct and honest and say that no one knows jack about what they really are. In truth, what are you? What am I? Probably something we can't get our heads around anyway.

Just some observations and opinions that I hold, and not offered as truth.

All the best,
Gary

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I would offer the idea if I may that perhaps labelling things is the most direct path to killing the experience of truth. The minute you put a linguistic tile on something and label it with an epoxy of context, you have killed the felt presence of immediate experience, which is boundless in dimension. Until you label it. After that it is difficult to escape the mental templates we create, and the more we define them and apply them, the more we diminish the possibilities in everything. So, rather than to say that someone is a Monistic Idealist Pantheist, which is a classification piled on a classification, we could be direct and honest and say that no one knows jack about what they really are. In truth, what are you? What am I? Probably something we can't get our heads around anyway.

All the best,
Gary
Well said....
similar to ....'ahmmmmmmm'.......
and when someone asks what you are doing.....the more you speak....the less it means...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So it is your claim there is only one exception?
Reason brings me to it.

At the point of singularity....the things we know don't exist.
No heat, no cold...no light, no shadow....no movement....

I place Spirit first to make sense of it.
Dead things (substance) cannot beget life.
Dead things don't, 'just move'.

So...God first.
And it's rather difficult to say...I AM!.....without something to show for it.

So then.....'bang'...
so to speak

atanu

Premium Member

All the best,
Gary

Thank you Gary. I agree. There is a scriptural saying "Mind and word return from it." While the origin of both mind and word is in fullness of the silence, but mind and word attain infinitude in it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Reason brings me to it.

At the point of singularity....the things we know don't exist.
No heat, no cold...no light, no shadow....no movement....

I place Spirit first to make sense of it.
Dead things (substance) cannot beget life.
Dead things don't, 'just move'.

So...God first.
And it's rather difficult to say...I AM!.....without something to show for it.

So then.....'bang'...
so to speak
One wonders why you would confuse your "reasoning" by using a word that heavily implies a past.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Cause and effect. When you see a clock, a car, a house, you see a intelligent effect. Some humans manipulated some matter in a intelligent way and constructed those things I wrote. The objects: car, house, clock, etc, are effect from an intelligent agent: man, the cause who in fact is an co-creator. The primary creator, cause of all other things, including matter manipulated by human, human, animals, etc, it's an intelligent being. An intelligent effect must have an intelligent cause. That's all, very simple.
No, it i even simpler than that - those intellects evolved from bacteria, and thus need no intelligent creator.