• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I meant that it doesn't fit with what I know, of course.

No, I was saying I don't believe in Abe-Mango, and stating the reason. I wasn't stating a default position.

But I don't have a default of "no" in regards to Abe-Mango. I have a reason to disbelieve.
If you don't positively believe that is enough.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Exactly.
There would be no need to have this conversation because his default status regarding deities would not exist. There can be no discussion of implicit atheism without there first being a theistic claim.

This means - drum roll please - that the default position for every single thing that has ever lived is.... ?
A lack of belief in deities.
It can only become an active disbelief when there is claimed to be something to believe in.
If his default status doesn't exist, how can he have a default status?

Aquitaine

The first claim is ".. Does not deny and does not posit... ", even claiming a baby like innocence/ignorance. Yet there is such emphatic opinion that what other person believes is only 'MYTH'. Ha ha.

That's because I'm expressing my own views, which are pretty atheist in nature. I'm not describing the neutral baby's position.

atanu

Premium Member
"Disbelief" includes both the belief that something does not exist AND the mere lack of a belief. They are not the same thing, and we are discussing the later here.

If 'mere lack of belief' meant absence of any mental content then a stone would be an atheist. Or, if a 'mere lack of belief' meant a lack of knowledge of the proposition wrt to deity, then a baby would be an atheist. If both of these are true then atheists are foolish indeed .. Vacuum minds.

We are discussing the term 'lack of belief of deity'. In the context of an atheist it can only mean that an atheist has considered the question of existence of deity and has come to a conclusion that the deity in question does not exist.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
If 'mere lack of belief' meant absence of any mental content then a stone would be an atheist. Or, if a 'mere lack of belief' meant a lack of knowledge of the proposition wrt to deity, then a baby would be an atheist. If both of these are true then atheists are foolish indeed .. Vacuum minds.

We are discussing the term 'lack of belief of deity'. In the context of an atheist it can only mean that an atheist has considered the question of existence of deity and has come to a conclusion that the deity in question does not exist.
Yup. Agree.

If the label "atheist" should be used on babies who doesn't have the neural pathways to have an opinion either way, then we could just as well start claiming that babies have no belief in organization and government, no belief in their own existence, no belief that they are, themselves atheists or theists, no belief in that their parents are their real parents, no belief in Hitler being wrong, no belief in roads, taxes, life, existence, math (they don't believe 1+1=2), and so on, which then means they're parent-hating nihilistic nazi anarchists who reject math! Well... they are kind'a rebellious at times. :D

atanu

Premium Member
You still lack a belief in something that you are unaware of.

Suppose, leibowde84 is a stone, unaware of things, can we say that "leibowde84 lacks belief"?

Please pause and try to be honest.

I would assume we are talking about conscious beings, as I am not sure why the term "atheist" would be useful in any way in describing a stone. But, I guess technically you might be able to. Why would that bother you?

Why would you assume things when pinned down?

You claimed "You still lack a belief in something that you are unaware of". I asked you whether a stone, which is truly unaware can be said to be lacking a belief? Now, you wish to restrict this only to conscious things. As if conscious things can have an empty mind. Ha.

Conscious things can only have the following positions wrt to a prposition: "I believe", " I do not believe", or "I am undecided".

For a mind which is empty in respect of a proposition (as in a baby) or in case of absence of a mind (as in case of a stone) the correct statement is: "neither disbelief nor belief". A stone or a baby is unaware of the proposition.

atanu

Premium Member
Yes.. that's what you often offer as an argument.

PLEASE explain your position if you.. care to be involved in a discussion /

Honestly no. What explanation can one offer when you (and a few others others) claim 'reasonableness' for yourself?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
For a mind which is empty in respect of a proposition (as in a baby) or in case of absence of a mind (as in case of a stone) the correct statement is: "neither disbelief nor belief". A stone or a baby is unaware of the proposition.
Also, we should ask the baby what the baby believes about being an atheist. As it so happens, the baby disagrees. A baby doesn't believe he/she is an atheist. So obviously the atheists are wrong about the babies being atheists by default, since babies don't believe they're atheists. And this unbelief in being atheists, they are... by default! :D

atanu

Premium Member
Yup. Agree.

If the label "atheist" should be used on babies who doesn't have the neural pathways to have an opinion either way, then we could just as well start claiming that babies have no belief in organization and government, no belief in their own existence, no belief that they are, themselves atheists or theists, no belief in that their parents are their real parents, no belief in Hitler being wrong, no belief in roads, taxes, life, existence, math (they don't believe 1+1=2), and so on, which then means they're parent-hating nihilistic nazi anarchists who reject math! Well... they are kind'a rebellious at times. :D

Yes. Babies have neither belief nor disbelief on these points. They have not considered these prpositions at all.

Those who have considered a proposition can have only three position:

"I do believe".
"I do not believe".
"I am undecided".

To say I have mere lack of belief is either meaningless (as for a baby or for a stone) or the following will obtain:

From another author

1 If the term “atheism” describes a missing mental property (i.e. a lack of belief), then the definition is too broad to be meaningful. Given this new definition there would be no difference between an atheist and the armchair he’s sitting on; that is, an armchair also lacks a belief in God just like the atheist.
2 If the term “atheism” simply describes a lack of belief, then there can be no argument to support what is lacking. It is merely describing an absence of an opinion. Atheists, therefore, cannot support absence with any good reasons; for, in absence, there is nothing to support. This relegates their view to the same level of seriousness as an aversion to lima beans or boiled cauliflower.
3 If the term “atheism” simply describes a lack of belief, then atheists like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens went to an awful lot of trouble writing books describing their missing mental property. As a matter of fact, I’m curious how the internet atheist should interpret Dawkins’ chapter title in The God Delusion: “Why There Almost Certainly is No God”. Perhaps he should read it as: “How My Lack of Belief Explains Why There is No God”.