• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism...the religion of...science?

linwood

Bishadi said:
People not understanding the quantum framework of life is something I have learned to live with for over 20 years and it has only been in the last 3 or 4 years that quantum biology has really been explored.
Apparently you`re as knowledgable of quantum mechanics as you are evolution.

hero said:
Science often, even thought not technically, seems to be the belief of an atheist. What they place their faith in.
I have confidence in experimentally verified and reproducible results, yes; but I wouldn't call it "faith" as in the kind of belief which does not depend on empirical evidence to support it. When a theory predicts a linear relationship between temperature and voltage for a certain metal and I make measurements and plot voltage vs. temperature and that data falls along a straight line to within experimental error, yes it boosts my confidence that that theory is a good description of reality. To call that "faith" would be an abuse of the word.

Bishadi

Apparently you`re as knowledgable of quantum mechanics as you are evolution.

is that quality discussion? is it wrong to post an opinion to your question? Esoteric yes, substantiated … ? You try or is combining both evolution and quantum mechanics a little too much.

Try this one http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m12592/latest/

It is about the …………….study of the energetics of chemical reactions with our understanding of mass relationships, determined by the stoichiometry of balanced reactions and the relative atomic masses of the elements

Basically showing how base metabolic (chemical) processes must include neighborhood resonant affects created by reactions. The problem with the existing model is that chemical reactions do not describe resonances. Nor do metabolic processes of biology.

linwood

Considering the very fundamentals of quantum theory are still very broadly defined and theological concepts of god and creation are impossible to define consistently, comparing the two is an exercise in futility.

There has to be a better starting point.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Mr Spinkles said:
I have confidence in experimentally verified and reproducible results, yes; but I wouldn't call it "faith" as in the kind of belief which does not depend on empirical evidence to support it.
I don't know Spinks. It appears to me that there are several atheists, even on this forum, who ascribe to the Science of the Gaps. They express a faithful devotion that science will someday be able to answer questions that man has had for ages. They extrapolate that since Science has answered so many questions that it will certainly be able to answer most if not all questions. For many of us this is nothing more or less than faith.

There is certainly nothing wrong with faith. It does not mean that you are bereft of evidence or intelligence. It merely means that you see clearly what others regard as mere intuition.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
NetDoc said:
I don't know Spinks. It appears to me that there are several atheists, even on this forum, who ascribe to the Science of the Gaps. They express a faithful devotion that science will someday be able to answer questions that man has had for ages. They extrapolate that since Science has answered so many questions that it will certainly be able to answer most if not all questions. For many of us this is nothing more or less than faith.

There is certainly nothing wrong with faith. It does not mean that you are bereft of evidence or intelligence. It merely means that you see clearly what others regard as mere intuition.
I think you presume to much. No Scientist nor Atheist will say that they expect science to give them all the answers. It is not a crutch. It is a tool, yes, but not something to fall back on.

Scuba Pete

That's why I wrote "most or all"... it is not as much presumption as it is observation. I don't see faith as either a crutch or something to fall back on. It's unfortunate that you do. There is nothing unhealthy about a reasoned faith.

NetDoc said:
I don't know Spinks. It appears to me that there are several atheists, even on this forum, who ascribe to the Science of the Gaps. They express a faithful devotion that science will someday be able to answer questions that man has had for ages.
Science has already answered questions that humans have had for ages. Questions like, why do people get leprosy? I think there's a big difference between allowing oneself some optimism in light of science's past success and expressing a "faithful devotion" to, say, prophesies written in an ancient text. To refer to the former as "faith" is to abuse the word, i.m.o.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
NetDoc said:
To refer to it as anything else is a mere denial of reality, i.m.h.o. :D
Better to have faith in something for which you can see evidence...or better yet, reality!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NetDoc said:
To refer to it as anything else is a mere denial of reality, i.m.h.o. :D
I think Mr Spinkles has a point, NetDoc; "Faith" to me, is the 'knowing that God exists" not the believing in the scriptures 'because it says so'.
icon12.gif

Scuba Pete

Which is precisely why I believe in God, Fade.

It is becoming apparent that many on this August Forum view "Faith" as some sort of disease to be avoided at all costs. Could this be some sort of intellectual snobbery?

Somehow some see faith as entirely unevidenced and unreasoned. This perception of faith is not only jaded to the max, but misses reality by a LONG shot.

Scuba Pete

Michel,

are you suggesting that you have no evidence or reasons for believing God exists? That is, is your faith truly "blind"?

Mine is not.

Fade

The Great Master Bates
NetDoc said:
Which is precisely why I believe in God, Fade.
This perception of faith is not only jaded to the max, but misses reality by a LONG shot.
Or it's just a rational reaction to the ramblings of delusion. :D

Ceridwen018

NetDoc said:
To refer to it as anything else is a mere denial of reality, i.m.h.o.
NetDoc, we have been over this "two definitions of faith" debate a billion times. Do you honestly still not understand it?

are you suggesting that you have no evidence or reasons for believing God exists? That is, is your faith truly "blind"?

Mine is not.
Is that really something to be proud of? The Bible says you should have faith like a child, ie, blind faith. What's so bad about blind faith anyway?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Ceridwen018 said:
Is that really something to be proud of? The Bible says you should have faith like a child, ie, blind faith. What's so bad about blind faith anyway?
If think God will take "blind faith" and build on it if the person permits it.