• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Ads on New York Subway

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
And in the meantime, letting lonely people who feel like they're islands in a sea of theists that they aren't as alone as they thought they were isn't a bad thing either.
I don't know many atheists who feel a sense of aloneness though. Most of us simply go on with life and don't center it around our non-belief. That's sort of my point. An atheist who centers his life around his atheism has turned it into a religion when in fact a true atheist has no such angst.

From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists. Stay away from church is the first step. Don't discuss religion at work is the second. Get those two covered and the rest is pretty simple. Personally, I have no problems with people in general and I don't bemoan the fact that I never really discuss non-belief with anyone else (except here). Life has too many other interesting things to do and see than to be wrapped up in any kind of -ism.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I don't know many atheists who feel a sense of aloneness though.
I agree. I certainly don't need others to help prop up my non-belief.

Most of us simply go on with life and don't center it around our non-belief. That's sort of my point. An atheist who centers his life around his atheism has turned it into a religion when in fact a true atheist has no such angst.
Agreed. I don't even think of it in real life, it's only when I come to RF that people ask me, "What is your religion?"

From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists.
This comment blows my mind, lol. I have never met such a person in real life. I've run into a few on RF, but I just thought they were silly. I can only guess my response if someone hit me with a snide comment about non-belief, in person. My reaction would probably be quite memorable.

Stay away from church is the first step.
Ok, I admit it, I am a bit of an extremist here. I have boycotted churches all my adult life and do not attend weddings or funerals if they are held in a church. (And yes, that has caused me some grief over the years.)

Don't discuss religion at work is the second.
Generally speaking, it is never a good idea to discuss religion while at work.

Personally, I have no problems with people in general and I don't bemoan the fact that I never really discuss non-belief with anyone else (except here). Life has too many other interesting things to do and see than to be wrapped up in any kind of -ism.
In a slight twist on the old Neil Young song, It has never meant that much to me that peoples religions mean that much to them. We all have our hangups, I suppose.

OmarKhayyam

"This comment blows my mind, lol. I have never met such a person in real life. I've run into a few on RF, but I just thought they were silly. I can only guess my response if someone hit me with a snide comment about non-belief, in person. My reaction would probably be quite memorable."

You should get out more.;)

Sign on a local church recently "We are a Christian nation. Vote smart."

Ad for local political rally, "Come join us in some real conservative fellowship and gospel music."

Sign on a local used car lot,"We practice what Jesus preached."

And I can assure you based on personal experience there is at least one eatery in town where an announced atheist will NOT be served.:cover:

blackout

Violet.
Don't ask me WHY I keep thinking about this thread. haha

I just had a really funny thought that ATotalStranger
should be the front man for the Athiest campaign...
called
"Ask an Athiest"

Could you imagine!?

That would be so funny!

It would earn you athiests MAJOR humor points.

Just put all of his posts up on posters,
randomly located all over cities.

Snarky. :D

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Either one! Since when do Atheists need to proselytize? That's a MM O'hare tactic and never works.

It's not proselytizing. It's telling people that it's OK not to believe, and that if they don't believe in God, there's nothing wrong with them.

The act of advertizing in order to convert people to your way of thinking or preaching to the masses so as to sway them is typical of religion.

It's not an attempt to convert anyone. It's an attempt to let those who don't believe know that they don't have to hide it, and it's an attempt to let those who do believe know that non-believers are perfectly normal, good people.

I mean, seriously, what does this organization hope to gain except new members which translates into more money which is precisely what churches do?

New members into what? What it hopes to gain is acceptance of non-belief by both believers and non-believers.

It's rather silly to think that a national forum of debate is going to sway anyone toward atheism.

You're right, it is. That's why they're not trying to sway anyone, just to get those who were already swayed to be comfortable with it, and to now be shy in admitting it to everyone.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't know many atheists who feel a sense of aloneness though.

I'd say that's probably more because you haven't talked to them about it than anything. This is no different than homosexuality. They are both things that society in general looks down on but doesn't understand. They both tend to ostracize the people who take part in them. It's not like atheists are necessarily suicidal or depressed or anything, but when 76% of the population is Christian and everywhere you go, Christianity is promoted as the way you should live your life to the point where, because many Christians think it's wrong, gay marriage is banned, you do tend to feel ostracized.

Most of us simply go on with life and don't center it around our non-belief. That's sort of my point. An atheist who centers his life around his atheism has turned it into a religion when in fact a true atheist has no such angst.

It's not about centering on it or not. It's the fact that it makes you different, and in many people's eyes "bad". Gay people don't necessarily "center" their life around their sexuality, it's just a part of them, but it definitely tends to alienate them from a good portion of society.

From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists.

Then you're not living in America.

Stay away from church is the first step. Don't discuss religion at work is the second. Get those two covered and the rest is pretty simple. Personally, I have no problems with people in general and I don't bemoan the fact that I never really discuss non-belief with anyone else (except here). Life has too many other interesting things to do and see than to be wrapped up in any kind of -ism.

So, anyway, back to reality here in America where the phrase "America is a Christian nation" is as common as "How are you today". Yes, avoiding church and discussing religion at work might help lessen the exposure to people who look down on non-Christians, but you simply can't get away from that group of people unless you move to another country and pay no attention to the U.S.

I'm not really caught up in my atheism either, but the fact is many, many people are caught up in their Christianity and in thinking that non-Christians (especially the dreaded atheists) are bad, and they show it every day. I also don't bemoan anything. However, there are many people out there who don't feel comfortable saying out loud that they're atheists, and that's not the way it should be.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know many atheists who feel a sense of aloneness though. Most of us simply go on with life and don't center it around our non-belief. That's sort of my point. An atheist who centers his life around his atheism has turned it into a religion when in fact a true atheist has no such angst.
You don't need to "center your life around atheism" to want to occasionally talk about common issues with other people.

And if anything brings up associations to religion, it's the idea of dividing atheists into the categories of "true" and "false". I find it odd that on the one hand you argue that atheism is "simply the absence of belief" but on the other, you argue that "true" atheists don't do certain things. Well, as long as the people who are getting together, talking about issues they consider relevant and even putting up transit ads don't believe in gods, then they are "true" atheists by the only real definition.

From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists. Stay away from church is the first step. Don't discuss religion at work is the second. Get those two covered and the rest is pretty simple.
That's fine if that's how things work for you. Speaking for myself, if I wanted to avoid people who would look down on atheists, I could never go to another family gatherings where my in-laws were present. Edit: And I can't even seem to avoid things like public prayer - for some reason, when you're into auto racing, even if you don't go to church, church comes to you.

And I don't think that it's enough to just avoid people who would look down on you. Those people who disagree with your atheism can still try to affect you even if you never meet them face-to-face... when they vote, for instance.

Personally, I have no problems with people in general and I don't bemoan the fact that I never really discuss non-belief with anyone else (except here). Life has too many other interesting things to do and see than to be wrapped up in any kind of -ism.
Wait... are you really trying to say that belief and non-belief are subjects that are somehow invalid or unworthy for consideration by atheists? If so, I think it's rather presumptious of you to try to make this decree for others.

Last edited:

logician

"From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists"

Not as simple as you may think. I'm sure most of us have had a plumber, electrician etc. come in spouting off strongly their belief in Christiainity like everyone else must follow suit. These people annoy me tremendously, because they are taking advantage of a captive audience (Person that really needs plumbing done) to push their religious beliefs, something they shouldn't be doing.

I've never had such an experience with an atheist.

gnomon

From what I've seen it's not too hard to avoid people who would look down on atheists. Stay away from church is the first step. Don't discuss religion at work is the second. Get those two covered and the rest is pretty simple. Personally, I have no problems with people in general and I don't bemoan the fact that I never really discuss non-belief with anyone else (except here). Life has too many other interesting things to do and see than to be wrapped up in any kind of -ism.

I'll remember that as people hand me literature at work that discusses the dangers of Satan.

It's a freaking Ad for those who might have a different philosophical interest.

Get over it already!

Argamemnon

tormented soul
Those atheist nujobs would still maintain that atheism is not a religion. Yeah, and I saw pigs flying across my window.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Those atheist nujobs would still maintain that atheism is not a religion. Yeah, and I saw pigs flying across my window.

Not that I expect any answer at all, much less an honest one, but in what way do you think this or anything else makes atheism a religion?

Oh, and did you catch those pigs on video? That could make you some money!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Not that I expect any answer at all, much less an honest one...!

You might get an honest answer but probably not a well reasoned answer. People who think atheism is a religion are usually flying on emotions more than reason.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
You might get an honest answer but probably not a well reasoned answer. People who think atheism is a religion are usually flying on emotions more than reason.
I'll never understand why religious people seem to think calling atheism a religion is an insult.:sarcastic

Atheism is no more a religion than "clear" is a color or "I don't vote" is a political party.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Yes, that's true. Although, I think sometimes they're being dishonest with themselves.