• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist by birth?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One more time, how is it any more meaningful to describe a newborn as an atheist than a rock or dog as an atheist? That's all I've been asking all along, and still haven't seen even an attempt to answer this.
Because one of the things we're discussing is the human default position, which is best examined before any software's added.

outhouse

Atheistically
No, an atheist is a non believer in a god.
Specifically.

A newborn doesn't believe anything at all.
about anything.
A newborn is as much a non believer in god concepts
as it is a non believer in scientific theory.
Do we have a specific label for that? :D

somebody who does not believe in God or deities

does the child believe in gods or deities???

there is no qualifier that one has to first know deitys and gods and then later choose to not believe

we do have a label :) its called ignorance. It doesnt work with laws or definitions

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No, but neither did my dog. I wouldn't describe him as an atheist.

I am certainly of the position that atheism is an absence of a particular belief. However, unlike some other people, I think that you have to have an understanding of what that belief is for an absence of that belief to be meaningful. In other words, things that cannot hold beliefs cannot be atheists - this includes dogs, rocks, and human infants.

then you miss the complete point.

atheism is the default position we are born with.

Its as simple as this, your either a theist or a atheist. Were you born a theist???? :shrug:

this isnt about meaningful at all. this is about definition only.

You responded to me first. My post was clearly about it being meaningful from the start. Hence, why I pointed out you should have been reading for comprehension many posts back. I suggest you take my advice in the future to avoid further embarrassment.

Tristesse

Exactly, can a newborn baby ever believe or disbelieve in god? No. At some point in human development when we are no longer infants we develop this capability, but but we do not start out with this ability, so to say we start out atheists is a meaningless statement - at least as meaningless as describing a rock as an atheist.

Thats exactly why I said they are implicit atheists. Atheists by virtue of not having a concept of a deity. You keep referring to atheists who reject the notion of a god, thats not what I'm talking about. New borns don't have a belief in anything, which qualifies them as an atheist amoung a myriad of other things.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Not really, we're talking about definitions not meaning. I find it meaningless to refer to a newborn child as an atheist, does that mean it's not true? I'll say it again, I don't care about the meaning, this has to do with definitions.

Then perhaps you should read my posts more thoroughly before responding to them, as I've been very clear all along that I'm talking about whether it's meaningful or not. Reading comprehension for the win.

blackout

Violet.
Exactly, can a newborn baby ever believe or disbelieve in god? No. At some point in human development when we are no longer infants we develop this capability, but but we do not start out with this ability, so to say we start out atheists is a meaningless statement - at least as meaningless as describing a rock as an atheist.

It would take an eternity to cover every such silly statement of it's sort.

"New'borns don't believe in
this, and that, and that, and this, and the other thing, and the other thing,
and the other thing..........."

A tiresome and unnecessary exercise of the obsessive compulsive kind.

What's with all the baby talk?! :baby:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Because one of the things we're discussing is the human default position, which is best examined before any software's added.

The human default position is the complete lack of ability to formulate or understand any beliefs, so any discussion about what beliefs they hold or don't hold offers no useful information.

outhouse

Atheistically
You responded to me first. My post was clearly about it being meaningful from the start. Hence, why I pointed out you should have been reading for comprehension many posts back. I suggest you take my advice in the future to avoid further embarrassment.

your the one arguing a point off topic, I do not feel embarrassed at all.

It is you failing your arguement that children or babies are not atheist.

please try and stay on topic :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
One position (explicit atheism) is the rejection of a known belief. That would be essentially not possible for an infant human to demonstrate. The other position (implicit atheism) is lack of belief. That would be precisely what we are all (or most of us) agreeing that an infant human is demonstrating. As are rocks and trees.
Just so. I disagree that the babies are missing (lacking) any beliefs, just as the rocks and trees are not missing any beliefs. Their beliefless worlds are complete and whole, and perfect and fine, just as they are.

Why people won't leave them alone, and instead insist on making them atheists, I don't know.

Acim

Revelation all the time

Describe this ability to 'disbelieve' and how that applies to atheism?

Would seem to contradict what atheists on this site have told me, but by all means, I'm open to this understanding.