• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist by birth?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Why people won't leave them alone and insist on making them atheists, I don't know.

The only reason I can glean is that they take the position that atheism is an absence or "lack" of belief, and somehow mistakenly think atheism cannot be defined as an absence of belief unless they go to the ridiculous point of defining infants as atheists.

outhouse

Atheistically
The only reason I can glean is that they take the position that atheism is an absence or "lack" of belief, and somehow mistakenly think atheism cannot be defined as an absence of belief unless they go to the ridiculous point of defining infants as atheists.

doesnt have anything to do with that.

its just a defnition

is that they take the position that atheism is an absence or "lack" of belief

which is exactly the definition of atheism :facepalm:

Acim

Revelation all the time
Just so. I disagree that the babies are missing (lacking) any beliefs, just as the rocks and trees are not missing any beliefs. Their beliefless worlds are complete and whole, and perfect and fine, just as they are.

Why people won't leave them alone, and instead insist on making them atheists, I don't know.

You disagree that babies are lacking beliefs?

I'm not understanding what you mean by this, and would like to understand it.

Acim

Revelation all the time

How is this ridiculous?

Strikes me as entirely accurate.

I've addressed this about 4 times already in this thread. Probably more than 4 times.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Describe this ability to 'disbelieve' and how that applies to atheism?

Would seem to contradict what atheists on this site have told me, but by all means, I'm open to this understanding.

You have no idea how I tried to do the same thing.

Its like trying to tell a Christian that they are a psychologically carnal animal, they just ignore it.

outhouse

Atheistically
you take those against the definition and ask them to define it

[Wilamena abnd K T]

I bet their definition does not match the one in place at this time. who's fault is that?

Acim

Revelation all the time
One more time, how is it any more meaningful to describe a newborn as an atheist than a rock or dog as an atheist? That's all I've been asking all along, and still haven't seen even an attempt to answer this.

It is up to each of us who do have opinions and ability to communicate those, in interactive way, to decide how meaningful it is to describe people / things as atheistic. Me, given the definition of implicit atheism, I understand how argument can be made for babies, rocks, and trees being implicitly atheistic. I think it is more meaningful to reference the baby in this way, since it is developing into 'one of us.' But that doesn't mean I think the rocks and trees atheism is to be completely ignored, just that my bias would put more emphasis on the infant human.

(Whistling while I work)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How is this ridiculous?

Strikes me as entirely accurate.

I've addressed this about 4 times already in this thread. Probably more than 4 times.

Describing the beliefs or non-beliefs of things which cannot hold beliefs is just a silly exercise. Of course, I realize that there are many people who relish engaging in silly and pointless exercises.

blackout

Violet.
how so?

that would put the qualifier for atheism that one must first know theism and reject it.

thats not the case, the definition and qualifier for atheism is non-belief

Babies do not/cannot "qualify" themSelves as atheists or theists.

They have not yet been uploaded with the programming
needed to do so.

The Programmers will begin installing WORD
almost immediately,
but the upload takes a long........ long................ time...........

Acim

Revelation all the time
Describing the beliefs or non-beliefs of things which cannot hold beliefs is just a silly exercise.

According to you. That is your 'meaningful explanation' contribution.

Implicit atheism strikes me as 'silly exercise.'

Of course, I realize that there are many people who relish engaging in silly and pointless exercises.

You of all people I would think would 'get this.'

blackout

Violet.
Just so. I disagree that the babies are missing (lacking) any beliefs, just as the rocks and trees are not missing any beliefs. Their beliefless worlds are complete and whole, and perfect and fine, just as they are.

Why people won't leave them alone, and instead insist on making them atheists, I don't know.

People often begin the exercise of "making" things(ideas) of their children,
right from day one.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Lol, atheists are at each others throats as much as Christians, but as soon as you say something they don't like they don't mind setting aside personal beliefs to team up with their mates.

A funny herd you guys are :D

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Soooo....

Babies aren't able to believe or disbelieve a concept like God, but we still need to assign them a title because at some point they will believe or disbelieve as they learn and grow and because we have a need to assign them a title?

I'd re-read the thread, but I'm going cross-eyed.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Soooo....

Babies aren't able to believe or disbelieve a concept like God, but we still need to assign them a title because at some point they will believe or disbelieve as they learn and grow and because we have a need to assign them a title?

I'd re-read the thread, but I'm going cross-eyed.

Its almost like condemning isn't it?

Such a narrow view saddens me.