• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Atheist"--the term itself

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A lack of belief doesn't need to be a belief in itself. A simple illustration

Person 1: "I saw a flying saucer."
Person 2: "I don't believe you."

Person 2 does not hold a belief that flying saucers don't exist. He just doesn't believe that Person 1 saw a flying saucer. There is a fundamental difference between believing something is not true ( let's call it active atheism) and not believing something is true (passive atheism).

See the difference? When you believe something is not true, you must have reasons for that belief.

Whereas not believing until proven is the default and logical stance.
Right. I think it's important to also point out the distinction - and I think that this might be where Augustus is having trouble - between having a belief about the validity of an argument and having a belief about that argument's conclusion. I can reject "the sky is blue because pixies paint it that way" without rejecting "the sky is blue."

prometheus11

I think you're missing out on the value of negation, especially the negation of value.

I'm not missing out. If you'd like to start a thread about negation and values, I'll give it a read. Sounds interesting.

Where'd that red herring get off too, now?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm beginning to wonder if I might not be the only person in this thread who really doesn't care how an atheist defines his or her atheism, so long as they make their views clear when appropriate or necessary for communication.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm beginning to wonder if I might not be the only person in this thread who really doesn't care how an atheist defines his or her atheism, so long as they make their views clear when appropriate or necessary for communication.

*is beginning to feel lonely*

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

*is beginning to feel lonely*
You've made your view clear.

But this is an Internet forum. It's only purpose is to make views clear.

Edit: Go you!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Kinda sorta. At the end of the day, what a person believes is more important than the label we place on those beliefs.

That being said, there are all sorts of bizarre assumptions built into defining atheism as "active disbelief" that I think are interesting to unpack.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Grand scheme of things, you are of course correct. But, It is all good fun when the silliness like "babies are atheists" comes out.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Kinda sorta. At the end of the day, what a person believes is more important than the label we place on those beliefs.

Exactly!

That being said, there are all sorts of bizarre assumptions built into defining atheism as "active disbelief" that I think are interesting to unpack.

Interesting? Yes, I agree with you there. Especially since -- in my view, at least -- there seems to be a "political" agenda that is often enough involved in insisting that atheism means and only means "active disbelief". In fact, I don't think this thread, or so many similar threads, would go on for as long as they do if none the participants wanted to score "political" points against atheists. But perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But, It is all good fun when the silliness like "babies are atheists" comes out.

Granted. I have to agree with you there. Although I'm not sure we have the very same reasons for thinking "babies are atheists" is a bit silly.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, it's a different term. Different meaning.
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/insist?s=t

To indulge your pedantry: What theology insists on the framework you espouse and why should anyone other than its adherents be beholden to it?

The label "atheist" includes the "deity neutral".
Is the term agnostic no longer meaningful?

Although I'm not sure we have the very same reasons for thinking "babies are atheists" is a bit silly.
Now you have to tell, you can't tease us like that.

Things I've learned: Babies are amoral atheist holocaust deniers. Maybe the Medieval Church had it right with limbo after all!