• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists & Agnostics: If there is a God...

Please read OP: What basic model of God do you find most likely?

• Total voters

GayAtheist

Sorry to go with a typical atheist response, but I find none of the options likely. I personally find it likely there is no such thing as "god", but it is simply an invention from the dark ages to control the masses of the day.

Thats it! :rainbow1:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not asking if you find them likely, in fact, I am assuming you don't. I'm asking which makes more sense to you if you are wrong.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Probably not, I'm just curious for curiosity's sake.

Review the thread. I haven't asked anyone why they don't believe in whatever they picked. There's no 'Gotcha!' coming. I'm just curious. Would you feel better about it if I played, too?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
If I was wrong, and "god" existed would it matter which one I thought "he/she" was?!
Oh, and for the record, one of my deepest-held, strongest theological beliefs, second only to the belief that there is a God at all, is that we're ALL wrong about God, myself included. And no, I don't think God minds a bit.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Can I ask why you think we're all wrong about "god" then? This for me is curiousity also!
Because God is ultimately beyond human understanding. We're all just guessing. Further, I believe that when we do really figure it out, we stop being reborn, something like attaining nirvana.

So, basically, I just want to know what your second-bes guess is. :)

GayAtheist

Do you not think because there is no evidence for "gods" existence, some believers peddle the line that "he/she" is beyond human understanding?!

If this "god" was supposed to have created us all, then surely "he/she" would have created us with the ability of understanding him/her and his reason for our existence?!

I still think none of the options you have given are relevant, as I don't believe in any "god" whether it be yours or someones from another religion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you not think because there is no evidence for "gods" existence, some believers peddle the line that "he/she" is beyond human understanding?!
In some cases. I am very well aware that there are theists who attempt to argue God's nature, and even God's desires, then resort to "beyond our understanding!" when those arguments are torn down, but this is the exception, not the rule.

EDIT: In my case, God's ultimate ineffability is a central tenet of my theology, not some desperate cop-out.

If this "god" was supposed to have created us all, then surely "he/she" would have created us with the ability of understanding him/her and his reason for our existence?!
One of many reasons that I do not believe that God is a Creator-type deity. Rather, I believe that God is existence as we know it. I believe that we and all we observe are aspects of God, living theomorphisms. Further, I believe that humans seek to understand God because this is the process by which God seeks to understand itself. (Which is why indivduals leave the cycle of reincarnation upon achieving that understanding; they've 'graduated' the God-school that is life.)

But all this is off-topic. If you wish to discuss my beliefs further, I ask that you either take questions to the thread linked in my signature, or start a new thread for debate and point me to it. Or both. Whatever you prefer. :)

I still think none of the options you have given are relevant, as I don't believe in any "god" whether it be yours or someones from another religion.
The options I gave are merely suggestions. If you would like to speculate down an entirely different line, I'd be thrilled by that. All I'm asking is that you consider the possibility that you might be wrong, and speculate about what else might be. Is that so hard? I'll play, too, if you like.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
If there is a god then I would feel that the deistic concept is most likely as it does not contradict with anything that I currently believe but just really adds to it.

Tiberius

To me, the question is meaningless.

it's like asking, "If there is a square circle, what do you think it's probably like? What idea do you find most likely, based on your understanding of reality as it is? Why?"

Presenting it as a hypothetical instead of a fact in no way changes that it is impossible.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To me, the question is meaningless.

it's like asking, "If there is a square circle, what do you think it's probably like? What idea do you find most likely, based on your understanding of reality as it is? Why?"

Presenting it as a hypothetical instead of a fact in no way changes that it is impossible.
Wow. That's got to be the most perfect example of a strawman I've ever seen someone actually try to use....

Smoke

Done here.
Should we make the initial assumption that God exists, the personal testimony of many of the people on this forum that God personally cares about their welfare would be a compelling argument for a personally-involved God.
Actually, I don't think that's very compelling evidence. Gods always love the people who make 'em, as Zora said, and believers testify to the beneficence of many different gods.

GayAtheist

The fact that you are impressed by such drivel disappoints me. :(

Oh well. Never mind, eh?!

Maybe you should then present a point of view that will impress me, if my last response was such a disappointment to you. I'll wait with baited breath. . . :sarcastic

Panda

42?
Premium Member
The fact that you are impressed by such drivel disappoints me. :(

Actually Storm I understand where that is coming from. Some peoples views could be so based on the idea that their is no god that they can not imagine any form of a God. So yes it could be like a square circle.

Tiberius

My point, Storm, was that every single God concept I have ever been shown is either contradictory to itself and/or the universe, or is not worthy of being considered a god. So, to me, any God concept worthy of being called a god is contradictory just as a square circle is. And contradictory things can't exist. So, I can't tell you what God would be like if he did exist, because I don't think he can exist. And anything that does exist can't possibly be a god. So, to me, the question is meaningless.

Now, where was that strawman?