• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and their jargon of insults

Little Dragon

In the 1950's science shut down mass transit in the US in order to sell more oil, tires, and cars.
Utterly absurd statement. "Science" has no control over government policy decisions, you speak of the scientific base of knowledge and the scientific community as if it was some sort of monolithic entity. Total nonsense. If you want bad mouth the scientific method, there are better and more logical ways to do so. Who would benefit from car sales? Not scientists lol. Inane.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You guys might want to learn to take what you can dish.
I hear this line quite a bit.
Which is most ironic seeing as it is the theist who have set the bar.

Now that some atheists have decided to bring themselves down to the set bar, theists are getting all in an uproar.
Though they really should be happy about it.
At least now there are atheists who, albeit a small minority of them, can, at least marginally, justify the theist victim complex.

cladking

Utterly absurd statement. "Science" has no control over government policy decisions

This might be funny if I had a sense of humor.

You do realize that the federal government, oil, car, and tire industries openly conspired to shut down mass transit in order to increase sales.

Of course at the time there was also an effort to decentralize cities to contain the damage of a nuclear exchange. But the latter object could have been achieved by improvements in mass transit as well. Today the government pours money into such boondoggles to make a few rich. People don't want to give up their cars except to get to the airports.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

You do realize that the federal government, oil, car, and tire industries openly conspired to shut down mass transit in order to increase sales.

Of course at the time there was also an effort to decentralize cities to contain the damage of a nuclear exchange. But the latter object could have been achieved by improvements in mass transit as well. Today the government pours money into such boondoggles to make a few rich. People don't want to give up their cars except to get to the airports.
Interesting.
Now all you need to do is tie this to science....

Otherwise it is yet another bold empty claim.

Little Dragon

Why would I care one tiny bit? I am not a US citizen. No offence.
Has nothing to do with scientific progress.

cladking

This was transformative and highly destructive. It set up most of today's problems including high CO2 production and planned obsolescence (the intentional production of garbage from valuable raw materials).

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member

According to Nicholas Bloom, the transit issue can largely be laid at the feet of the American people for poor policy choices and not on secret conspiracies. But what does he know. He's just an expert. We can dismiss his findings by calling him a Peer and never addressing anything he has to say.

Little Dragon

Neither does the widespread belief in science. It wasn't believers in science who came up with the inventions to create the internet. It was people with ideas.
A mindless statement. All computers require deep understanding of physics and information technology. Did you think the physics behind electronics was just found in a skip?