• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and their jargon of insults

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I hear this line quite a bit.
Which is most ironic seeing as it is the theist who have set the bar.

Now that some atheists have decided to bring themselves down to the set bar, theists are getting all in an uproar.
What bar?
Though they really should be happy about it.
At least now there are atheists who, albeit a small minority of them, can, at least marginally, justify the theist victim complex.
I don't think those people need atheists, their god gives them such complexes.

Little Dragon

I recall watching a story about a scientist in New Mexico that had developed a method to study lightning by shooting a copper wire into the air attached to some sort of rocket. He was very successful from all accounts and the video.
Silver wire might have been even more successful in getting struck. Although the difference was probably slight. Silver being even more conductive than copper or gold.

cladking

I seem to recall something in the news recently about something going on in the middle east….
Hmmm, I can’t quite put my finger on it……

Total death toll so far ~ 2500

Death toll in WW II > 20,000,000

Can you explain how an individual can have a scientific perspective that precludes a belief in science

I hate to break this to you but "science" is a perspective and a methodology. It is not supposed to be a belief system.

Dan From Smithville

"We are both impressed and daunted." Cargn
Staff member
Premium Member
Silver might have been even more successful in getting struck. Although the difference was probably slight. Silver being even more conductive than copper or gold.
It would have probably cost a bit more too.

It seems rather dangerous as research goes. On one of the videos they showed a natural lightning strike that struck just behind without his being aware or at least immediately aware.

But there is a lot of research that has an increased element of risk I suppose. Handling deadly infectious organisms may not be a quick as lightning, but dead is still dead.

Eli G

Imagine that a person with a capacity like photographic memory (anyone can search for this on the Internet. See post#5), devises a productive way to use his capacity, say, as a security guard in some shop... Suppose that his talent allows him to remember all the faces of people who entered the premises at a certain time, and that makes it easier for the authorities to discover an individual that the security cameras could not capture... Would that be "miraculous" from the atheist, materialist, point of view?

Do atheists have any materialist explanation for human talents that can be classified as "supernatural" precisely because of the extremely rare incidence of such gifted abilities in certain individuals?

Imagine an individual, like Jesus, in whom more than one of these abilities somehow converge... how would atheists consider him? :rolleyes:

Little Dragon

Do atheists have any materialist explanation for human talents that can be classified as "supernatural" precisely because of the extremely rare incidence of such gifted abilities in certain individuals?
You mean people who are neural divergent? That is not supernatural. That is atypical neurological composition. Such as that displayed by people with autism. :expressionless:

Dao Hao Now

Total death toll so far ~ 2500

Death toll in WW II > 20,000,000
And of that death toll for WWll….
tell me again how many were shipped off and exterminated in places like Auschwitz-Birkenau and Treblinka?
Was it 6,000,000 if memory serves?
Oh, and what did they have in common?
Can you seriously say there wasn’t a religious element to this?

I hate to break this to you but "science" is a perspective and a methodology. It is not supposed to be a belief system.
You might want to break it to yourself……
I used your own words verbatim.

You got that partially correct…
The scientific method
(often simply referred to as science) is in a nutshell; a process used to validate observations while minimizing observer bias. Its goal is for research to be conducted in a fair, unbiased and repeatable manner.

Eli G

Still a human.
Of course; Jesus was human ... at least that's what we, JWs, understand. But he was gifted, because he received some energy that no common humans receive. He didn't have autism.

Anyways, you, as I do, consider gifted persons a reality, so miracles, supernatural, and somehow "magic" are realities as a consequence.

PS: "atypical neurological composition" is an interesting name for that. :)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Imagine that a person with a capacity like photographic memory (anyone can search for this on the Internet. See post#5), devises a productive way to use his capacity, say, as a security guard in some shop... Suppose that his talent allows him to remember all the faces of people who entered the premises at a certain time, and that makes it easier for the authorities to discover an individual that the security cameras could not capture... Would that be "miraculous" from the atheist, materialist, point of view?

Imagine an individual, like Jesus, in whom more than one of these abilities somehow converge... how would atheists consider him? :rolleyes:
Yes, the claimed events did not happen. Look at all that you have. All of the miraculous events were not written about until more than thirty years after his death.

Were you alive when Elvis died?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
My impression has always been that he was the big daddy of atheism, but obviously not so for atheists then!
I really do find it odd that so many theists think Dawkins is some sort of leading figure of atheism. Somebody on another forum (a Hindu) recently referred to him as "your patron saint" - just bizarre :confused:. I've seriously never thought of him (or anybody else, for that matter) like that nor do I know of any other atheists that do. His book was probably the weakest of the so called 'new atheist' books. IMO Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell was probably the best, but I wouldn't regard him as a leading figure either.

Perhaps it's just that Dawkins is more well known by the general public?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I recall watching a story about a scientist in New Mexico that had developed a method to study lightning by shooting a copper wire into the air attached to some sort of rocket. He was very successful from all accounts and the video.

There was a Horizon documentary on the bbc about this aired several years ago. Very interesting (as most Horizon docs were)