• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm refraining from answering this question from a person who claims to understand evolution but just doesn't see the evidence as any thing but a deliberate troll. I don't feel like getting dinged again for not taking the question appropriately seriously.
That said, what is it about those who wear their religion so blatantly on their sleeves that they seem the least honest and most unlikable. I am certainly not interested in worshiping their god.
Peace.
I've watched a creationist physicist stumble and collapse through a discussion of genetics and evolution while his audience ate it up. Never understanding all the errors and erroneous information he just taught them. They apparently had no basis and didn't show signs of interest to have the basis to know that much of what he explained to them wasn't science or knowledge acquired through science at all. He had a physics degree and a creationist, so everything he claimed about science must be true.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Exactly, but the problem is that pointing out the problem is not enough, you have to show that causation “always” and ”necessarily” occurs within time

Causes happen before effects. :shrug:
Read your own linked wiki article.

Not granted, but Physics doesn’t have a say on the origin of the physical world anyway

:facepalm:

……………what you have to justify is why would the cause of the universe, be limited by the laws of the universe.

Irony. I'm not "limiting" the origins of the universe that way.
The problem is that YOU are trying to use the laws inherent of the universe, to explain the universe itself.
Causality is a phenomenon of the physics of the universe. It requires the universe as it depends on temporal conditions.
You try to invoke the physics of the universe in a context where the universe doesn't exist. :shrug:

The wiki article, talks about the controversy o weather if causation “requires time” or not,

It does not.

I asked you elsewhere, what alternative do you suggest……..(you answered I don’t know)…….. the reason I asked that question, because it seems to me that all imaginable alternatives have the same problem, no matter what alternative you pick , you will always have to deal with “causality” without time..........am I wrong?

I said that I don't know. I tend to not make claims about things I don't know. That's what you do.
I can only say that it is nonsensical to invoke phenomenon that require the universe to exist to try and make statements about a context where said universe does not exist.

I don't require any "alternatives" to point that out.

--
from the wiki articlle

And I asked you who these supposed "writers" are.
My guess is some "philosophers", like that other article you linked to. People who aren't physicists.

In summary, this seems to be our point of disagreement , I argue that cause and effect are metaphysically prior to cause and effect

And what does that mean?
"prior" is a notion of time. As per GR, there is no "before" the universe. So what are you talking about?

you argue the opposite……………..

I just go with what we know as per physics.
I argue that it is nonsensical to invoke the physics of the universe and pretend they apply without said universe.

why are you so sure that you are correct in such a controversial topic?

It seems to only be controversial in your little world.
It's not controversial in physics.
That, or you are confusing "controversial" with "counter-intuitive".

I certainly agree it is counter-intuitive. But then many things in physics are. GR, quantum physics, extreme gravity,.... all those are things that create or involve conditions that our human minds, which evolved to avoid being eaten by lions - not to have intuitive affinity with the quantum world, can not properly comprehend.
Yet, it is what it is.

This is the problem I see with "philosophers" who try to "reason" about this stuff. They use their "intuition" and "common sense" to "build arguments". And then they come to conclusions like "there is a cause for the universe". The problem is that intuition & common sense is completely worthless once we deep dive into the (to us) alien world off quantum physics, extreme gravity, extreme speeds, T = 0, etc.

I like the analogy that Brian Greene once made....
Suppose I throw you a tennis ball. Even without warning. In the blink of an eye, you will know where to put your hand to catch it, when to close your hand etc. You might even be able to account for wind direction in a split second and adjust your hand position.
We can make very complex formula to calculate exactly the trajectory of that ball by knowing the force with which it is thrown, the angle, the weight of the ball, the atmospheric pressure, the gravitational field we are in, etc. But none of that is necessary for you to catch that ball. You intuitively know where it will end up and how to catch it. This is because we have affinity with slow speeds, medium gravity, tennis balls, etc.

Yet, to catch a proton or neutrino, we need to build multi-billion dollar machinery. And even though we design and build the machines, we ourselves actually barely comprehend why it works.

So to sum up: to use "common sense" and "intuition" to try and reason yourself into answers concerning these topics.... you will most certainly end up with the wrong answer.

As @ratiocinator has said multiple times already, your postings here also show that your mind concerning physics, is still stuck in the Newtonian world. A world where time is independent of the universe. A world where if you remove the sun from existence, the orbiting earth instantly travels into outer space instead of only after 8 minutes. A world where the flow of time is unaffected by space, by gravity, by speeds. Enter Einstein. He showed us how wrong that is.

.................do you understand that I need more than “I am correct because I say so”
Not once has anyone here said any such thing.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That is far from “obviously true”……you need more that “because I say so” to support that claim

I bet yes, I bet that many have go from:

1 I am nearly 100% sure that change requires time

To

2 hmmm perhaps not, perhaps change doesn’t necessarily requires time, there is at least room for reasonable doubt

But I also bet that no skeptic would admit it
How can you have change without time?
It necessarily requires time.
Moment 1: state X
Moment 2: state Y

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Now now, you have never seen any other
type of argument in this context- there is
no other- so aren't you a lil unfair to deprive
someone that widow's mite?

People can believe what they like, when they can provide a sound hypothesis based on observations and/or mathematics I'll be glad to read it

cladking

Yes.

God never appears, never says, never does. If you disagree, a video of a TV interview where [he] appears, speaks and acts would be an interesting start ─ though of course in this AI era we'd need to get [him] into the lab at some point to verify the claims about [him].

I was referring to His fan base. Believing in Science is increasing because people think that technology proves theory. Ancient people used counterweights with no more understanding than crickets. We can just as well land on the moon without really understanding much of anything.

If you don't have such an example ─ and by now it certainly looks like you don't ─ then please just say so.

I think you just want to bog this down in semantics.

Why don't you provide an example of two individuals having the exact same models of anything at all? They don't even have to be scientists but their predictions must be identical to several decimal points and if given a test with increasingly specific question they must answer them all identically.

There are no two people with the same beliefs and just because you've never noticed this among scientists changes nothing at all.

My favorite example is Young and Champollion. Young solved hieroglyphs mathematically while Champollion used more typical methods. Young was right, Champollion was wrong so Darwin and two centuries of war and genocide arose.

Do you believe every Peer has the exact same model for each quark and its behavior? When you ponder this try to remember that no model is correct. We don't even know the fundamental forces that affect these things so how could any model be right. Rather some models make better predictions and whenever this can be shown experimentally that model becomes the accepted model by every peer. But this new model will only survive until an even better model appears.

cladking

...this can be shown experimentally that model becomes the accepted model by every peer

Obviously those peers nearer the top of the pecking order can drag their feet longer and quite often they drag their feet until the mortician drags them for them.

And then science changes.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I find it interesting and ironic that some proclaiming negatively that science has become a modern belief system as part of some great conspiracy seem to be themselves consumed by the reprimand of their own fire. The indictment against science declared so on the basis of what has been a mixed bag of content pulled from various, largely unnamed, sources. From what I have observed over time, I believe this can easily be characterized as a personal belief system and not anything related to a scholarship or a science. One consisting of empty assertions, rambling agendas, repeated mantras, secret re-definition of words, semantic acrobatics, and not only a failure to provide evidence and explanation, but an apparent and energetic disdain for those things. These offerings don't promote discussion or debate and the feeling I get is that they are preached to be absorbed without review and seen only as sage and factual.

Within the scope of this view is a vacant, faceless and otherwise undefined group known as Peers that are seen as the central enemy to all that has been declared. The devil in the dark. All that is bad can be associated with these mysterious Peers. To be named a follower or, Heaven forbid, be one is the greatest of sins against these truths of universal sudden change, single trait speciation and upside down-landing flies. The implication is that these Peers and their followers should be rejected and cast out. The parallels to history of such is not lost on me. If your personal views and ambitions have no legs, create an enemy that is trying to silence the truth and beat on them.

I would call this entire effort the promotion of a personal belief system and not a discussion of facts, reason or any science. If a person feels this way, that is fine, but I see no reason to have it replace experience, useful explanation, observation, study or conclusion. I don't agree that it should be promoted and posted as if it is factual or some sort reasoned conclusion. In my view, it doesn't promote growth, debate or discussion of the topics where it raises its face.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I find it interesting and ironic that some proclaiming negatively that science has become a modern belief system as part of some great conspiracy seem to be themselves consumed by the reprimand of their own fire. The indictment against science declared so on the basis of what has been a mixed bag of content pulled from various, largely unnamed, sources. From what I have observed over time, I believe this can easily be characterized as a personal belief system and not anything related to a scholarship or a science. One consisting of empty assertions, rambling agendas, repeated mantras, secret re-definition of words, semantic acrobatics, and not only a failure to provide evidence and explanation, but an apparent and energetic disdain for those things. These offerings don't promote discussion or debate and the feeling I get is that they are preached to be absorbed without review and seen only as sage and factual.

Within the scope of this view is a vacant, faceless and otherwise undefined group known as Peers that are seen as the central enemy to all that has been declared. The devil in the dark. All that is bad can be associated with these mysterious Peers. To be named a follower or, Heaven forbid, be one is the greatest of sins against these truths of universal sudden change, single trait speciation and upside down-landing flies. The implication is that these Peers and their followers should be rejected and cast out. The parallels to history of such is not lost on me. If your personal views and ambitions have no legs, create an enemy that is trying to silence the truth and beat on them.

I would call this entire effort the promotion of a personal belief system and not a discussion of facts, reason or any science. If a person feels this way, that is fine, but I see no reason to have it replace experience, useful explanation, observation, study or conclusion. I don't agree that it should be promoted and posted as if it is factual or some sort reasoned conclusion. In my view, it doesn't promote growth, debate or discussion of the topics where it raises its face.
It occurs to me that that this will mark me as a Peer or a devout follower. Simply for having reasonable opinion based on the evidence. But an opinion that doesn't shine favorably on all the "truths" that have been told.

But I'm a mere stinky-footed bumpkin that could know nothing of all the ancient evidence that is never revealed.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It occurs to me that that this will mark me as a Peer or a devout follower. Simply for having reasonable opinion based on the evidence. But an opinion that doesn't shine favorably on all the "truths" that have been told.

But I'm a mere stinky-footed bumpkin that could know nothing of all the ancient evidence that is never revealed.
I just noticed your "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" under your avatar, Googled it, and discovered that that is the title of the eighth episode of the third season of the original Star Trek, which I have been gradually rewatching this year, but have only gotten to near the end of the second season. I reviewed the Wiki link on that below:

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky - Wikipedia

Why did you choose that phrase to put under your avatar? Nothing in the description of the plot revealed the answer to me. Maybe you just liked the phrase rather than making a reference to Star Trek.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I asked for mechanism, and choice by selection is just saying "choice by choice."
Selection denotes consciousness. So if you (and Darwin) think the environment is conscious, that's your (conscious) selection.

Pogo

I find it ironic projection where AIG, Kent Hovind, the Discovery Institute and other religious leaders/peers ascribe dogmatism and intransigence to scientists theistic or otherwise while insisting that the only way to "real science" is to put on your "Bible" glasses and that now evidence can be valid if it disagrees with their view of scripture.

Another alternative since the best known peers are the heads of these organizations that have no product but rely entirely on their followers funding their lifestyles, it looks a lot like grift and they know a good scam when they see one.

Audie

Veteran Member
People can believe what they like, when they can provide a sound hypothesis based on observations and/or mathematics I'll be glad to read it
Thing is, so far nobody (least
of all, any yec) has anything at all
to say that meets your savage
and unfair demands.

Audie

Veteran Member
I find it ironic projection where AIG, Kent Hovind, the Discovery Institute and other religious leaders/peers ascribe dogmatism and intransigence to scientists theistic or otherwise while insisting that the only way to "real science" is to put on your "Bible" glasses and that now evidence can be valid if it disagrees with their view of scripture.

Another alternative since the best known peers are the heads of these organizations that have no product but rely entirely on their followers funding their lifestyles, it looks a lot like grift and they know a good scam when they see one.
Shallow and dishonest.

Religion has long been a favourite cover for such people.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thing is, so far nobody (least
of all, any yec) has anything at all
to say that meets your savage
and unfair demands.

I demand nothing and and certainly not savage and unfair.

Well maybe just a little because my comments are heavily weighted in the realm of cosmology

However anyone can provide contradictory hypothesis (i know quite a few)

Audie

Veteran Member
I demand nothing and and certainly not savage and unfair.

Well maybe just a little because my comments are heavily weighted in the realm of cosmology

However anyone can provide contradictory hypothesis (i know quite a few)
Nothing unfair about asking the impossible? :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was referring to His fan base. Believing in Science is increasing because people think that technology proves theory. Ancient people used counterweights with no more understanding than crickets. We can just as well land on the moon without really understanding much of anything.
It seems to me that belief in science is DEcreasing. Is it still taught in school?
When I was a boy there were no flat Earthers that I ever heard of. And an old Earth and evolution by natural selection was assumed. Science was accepted and scientists trusted.
I couldn't imagine the sort of fantasy realities some posters seem to be living in, or the unevidenced conspiracy theories I hear bandied about.

I think you just want to bog this down in semantics.

Why don't you provide an example of two individuals having the exact same models of anything at all? They don't even have to be scientists but their predictions must be identical to several decimal points and if given a test with increasingly specific question they must answer them all identically.

There are no two people with the same beliefs and just because you've never noticed this among scientists changes nothing at all.thing
But people with the same beliefs about specific things are common. Scientists generally agree on the basics of their disciplines.
My favorite example is Young and Champollion. Young solved hieroglyphs mathematically while Champollion used more typical methods. Young was right, Champollion was wrong so Darwin and two centuries of war and genocide arose.
Huh?
Do you believe every Peer has the exact same model for each quark and its behavior? When you ponder this try to remember that no model is correct. We don't even know the fundamental forces that affect these things so how could any model be right. Rather some models make better predictions and whenever this can be shown experimentally that model becomes the accepted model by every peer. But this new model will only survive until an even better model appears.
What the heck is a peer? Isn't peerage a political position?
Cladking, you strike me as woefully ignorant of science and the scientific method. The controversies you see are fantasies, and the underlying foundational premises are real and rational. You seem to live in an imagined world of delusion and fantasy.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Selection denotes consciousness. So if you (and Darwin) think the environment is conscious, that's your (conscious) selection.
No. Conscious intent is not needed.
Pups in Siberia born with short fur freeze. Those with long fur thrive. Pups in Brazil born with long fur overheat, and their short furred brothers thrive. Where is the intent?