• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That sounds like an opportunity and the basis for a burgeoning business. You could be the Australian king of Mexican food.

Most Australians are happy with the Old El Paso range in the supermarket I think. Not sure there would be much demand and it sounds like a lot of effort.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Australians are happy with the Old El Paso range in the supermarket I think. Not sure there would be much demand and it sounds like a lot of effort.
It's a thought. Need some place to bury my many millions of...wishful dreams.

Pogo

Because that is not what I am asking. I'm asking what you think about the first cell, living that is. It certainly can be-seems to be-connected with abiogenesis, but I'm not asking about abiogenesis.
Well then you need more definition, cell generally refers to the lipid layer on the outside that contains something, these are naturally occurring similar to oil droplets in water. They might contain replicating structures which might or might not be considered alive. Ultimately the question is too general for an answer other than it is part of the progression of early life on earth.
Here we have even less than the fossils you find so inadequate so there really isn't even a point in discussing the topic as you will never be satisfied.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It looked really good.

The only problem is I discovered the masa harina I used has a best before date of August 2021. Been almost 24 hours since we ate it and we haven't died so hopefully that's a good thing. I've fired off a scathing email to the supplier I got it from.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'd suggest this thread;

There is no writing recorded from the age in which the great pyramids were built. The little does exist is highly fragmentary and Sumerian. But right after this era there exists very ancient Egyptian writing from the great pyramid building age and even older.

This is far and away the oldest corpus of writing in existence. That the "Egyptians" built the pyramids is a virtual certainty but if I'm right they weren't even the same species. They were wise and we are omniscient.
I find this last line interesting. What would make you think that humans of the ancient Egyptian variety were a different species. In a related questions, if you don't believe in species, why would you bother to claim that ancient Egyptians were a different species. That doesn't make any sense and contradicts the claim of disbelief in species.

I encourage you to read some general texts in biology and learn the facts about the things you believe. If you went into the reading with an open mind, I am certain you will be surprised what you find. And it would help you understand these debates and discussions.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The only problem is I discovered the masa harina I used has a best before date of August 2021. Been almost 24 hours since we ate it and we haven't died so hopefully that's a good thing. I've fired off a scathing email to the supplier I got it from.
It's a dry ingredient isn't it? Cornmeal I thought.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well then you need more definition, cell generally refers to the lipid layer on the outside that contains something, these are naturally occurring similar to oil droplets in water. They might contain replicating structures which might or might not be considered alive. Ultimately the question is too general for an answer other than it is part of the progression of early life on earth.
Here we have even less than the fossils you find so inadequate so there really isn't even a point in discussing the topic as you will never be satisfied.
So, in essence, would you agree then that no human really knows in physical terms how it (cell, cells, and life within those first cells). came about, theoretically allowing the process of evolution to make its way to life's present forms. Or previous forms.

Pogo

Reviewing your post, John53, I often wonder how people think Moses knew that life began on this earth. For instance -- discerning life around us before there were instruments capable of detecting age in fossils and other elements, we see earth, soil, rocks, animals, vegetables, stars, etc, many might wonder how did it all get here? They might also think maybe green grass, etc., animals, were always here.
You might think that but it is ultimately a guess without any reason behind it.
You would also need to demonstrate that Moses existed and or knew anything.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
You might think that but it is ultimately a guess without any reason behind it.
You would also need to demonstrate that Moses existed and or knew anything.
No, I don't need to demonstrate that Moses existed because I am \saying that many years ago a person named Moses wrote that first there was water on the earth, then plants, and then animals.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
No, I don't need to demonstrate that Moses existed because I am \saying that many years ago a person named Moses wrote that first there was water on the earth, then plants, and then animals.

Are you going to answer my question? What is a first cell?

Pogo

So, in essence, would you agree then that no human really knows in physical terms how it (cell, cells, and life within those first cells). came about, theoretically allowing the process of evolution to make its way to life's present forms. Or previous forms.
As you and @leroy have been told innumerable times, no we don't have the video but we know start and endpoints and in this case with some more study we can assemble a pyramid. Your complaint that we don't have the video has to be contrasted with your explanation of Poof the Magic dragon dunnit. We know far more than you do if going by mechanistical information. Motes and Beams?

Pogo

I'd fire off an email too. You should get a refund. Expired flour might impact the taste, but isn't likely to cause harm.
If your town is small enough that it has passed its sell by date, you should be glad they have it at all.
Need a cornbred and chitlins hoedown.

Pogo

Yup you are saying, but so what. I can say I went to the moon last week.