• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

cladking

evidence - whatever becomes evident to the senses; something is there, but what, and what does it imply?

Your definition fails to encompass known laws. It is simply a fact that we interpret our senses and reality in terms of what we know. Hence your definition is flawed. It has no referent. No stimuli occur in a vacuum. Our eyes do not perceive a ray of light outside of what we believe is the big picture. You not only can not palpate an abstraction but you can't palpate concrete without your entire belief system.

You are holding up your belief system as reality itself and then challenging others' beliefs as being incompatible with the "evidence". I'm sorry things are so complicated but the holiest of all thous remains those who believe in science.

Pogo

Your definition fails to encompass known laws. It is simply a fact that we interpret our senses and reality in terms of what we know. Hence your definition is flawed. It has no referent. No stimuli occur in a vacuum. Our eyes do not perceive a ray of light outside of what we believe is the big picture. You not only can not palpate an abstraction but you can't palpate concrete without your entire belief system.

You are holding up your belief system as reality itself and then challenging others' beliefs as being incompatible with the "evidence". I'm sorry things are so complicated but the holiest of all thous remains those who believe in science.
the evidence was there before the laws were known. OOPs. Gibberish followed.

leroy

It looks like you're still conflating what should be called evidence and what is it evidence of, which is oversimplification, not overcomplicating. It might behoove you to take a moment and think about that distinction, and then modify your use of language accordingly. If you have reason to disagree with either of the following -and by now you should have expressed that if you do, since I've explained this twice now already -please address that now:

evidence - whatever becomes evident to the senses; something is there, but what, and what does it imply?
evidence of - what that which is evident signifies

Yes, it is indispensable, but only if you want useful (sound, correct) conclusions. I refer you to arithmetic again. The addends to be summed are the premises, analogous to evidence. What do they imply? A correct sum. How do we determine that? Using the valid rules of arithmetic (rules of inference). If we vary from that, we get an incorrect result. Misadding even one individual sub-sum (7+5=11) plays the role of logical fallacy, and the erroneous sum that results is a non sequitur. It didn't derive from what preceded it.

What we are doing when examining evidence is analogous. If all of the steps between the start and finish are valid - no "misadding" - the conclusion will be correct. To do this, one must learn those rules and adhere t them faithfully.

Agreed. But to determine whether X is evidence of Y, one must apply valid reason to X and derive (deduce) Y.
I mostly agree with everything above……….any disagreement would be on secondary issues, but for the sake of this discussion I agree

The fine tuning argument does support an intelligent designer, but it is also consistent with naturalistic explanations for why our universe is the way we find it, and naturalistic explanations are preferred because they are more parsimonious. They only require that nature exist. Supernaturalistic explanations require both that nature exist and a supernatural realm with a supernatural intelligent designer, something for which we have no evidence.
something for which we have no evidence.
I am confused, aren’t you granting that there is evidence for a designer above in red letters?

naturalistic explanations are preferred because they are more parsimonious.

We´ve had this conversation before; I disagree, parsimony is just one of many criteria used to establish the best explanation………….other criteria such as "evidence for and against", "explanatory power", "explanatory scope", "intrinsic improbability" etc. are also important criteria.

For example borrowing from the previous example about ghosts……..”Real ghosts” is less parsimonious than “hallucinations”………… but if hypothetically we have a conclusive objection against hallucinations (say other whiteness, photos, videos etc.,) the ghost hypothesis would be preferred over the hallucination hypothesis even if it is less parsimonious. Unless and until equally conclusive objections against ghost are presented.

In other words a hypothesis doesn’t automatically win just because it is more parsimonious……

The claim that I am making is that if there is conclusive evidence against a hypothesis “A” and there is no conclusive evidence against Hypothesis “B” one should prefer “B” over “A” even if A is more parsimonious...........agree?

You can go on making this even less parsimonious if you like and add extra conditions, like a super-supernatural realm with an even more powerful intelligent designer that created the one you believe in, but you can see why that is not helpful and not desirable even though we cannot say that it is impossible. And just as you won't trouble yourself with that third level of possible reality, because why should you, I don't trouble myself with the second layer for the same reason. If there is more to reality that either of us know or believe, it can wait until we have a reason to seriously consider it before so doing.
Well I think we do have a reason for believing in such supernatural realm...........

But I agree we shouldn’t claim “extra layers” of reality if we don’t have a good reason for doing so

Incidentally, fine tuning is consistent with a deity, but not an omnipotent one - the kind you believe in that creates the laws of physics and all of spacetime and its contents. Why? Because you're describing a deity constrained by a higher reality, one which it must discover and incorporate into its creation so that it can build a universe that works like this one.

Disagree with the red text above, the way I see it, Fine Tunning is consistent and predicted by both an omnipotent deity and a non-omnipotent deity

But the argument is intended to support the existence of an intelligent designer, whether if this designer is a deity, an alien, a robot, or the specific God that I believe in, is beyond the scope of this argument.

Fine tuning is also consistent with a multiverse hypothesis wherein some substance is generating countless numbers of universes like CO2 bubbles in champagne, but with different physical laws and constants, with only those able to continue to expand for billions of years like ours doing so, the rest being failures to launch. Naturally, we awaken to discover ourselves in one of those universes and eventually discover how unlikely it is, but only when considered in isolation, as with a lottery. Whoever wins was unlikely to win when considered in isolation, but when we consider the pool of bettors, the chances that some will win becomes nearly certain.
I agree on that the multiverse hypothesis is more parsimonious than design………….but as I said earlier, my disagreement is on that I claim that parsimony is not the only criteria for establishing what explanation is the best.

The multiverse hypothesis also has weaknesses that in my opinion overcome the benefit of being more parsimonious.

The most relevant weakness against the multiverse is that we have a conclusive argument against this hypothesis.

My point (let me know if you agree) is that if there is a devastating knock down objection against a hypothesis, you should reject that hypothesis even if it is more parsimonious than its competitors.

Conclusive Objection against the multiverse hypothesis:

The Boltzmann Brain paradox, ……. The paradox states that it is far more likely that we live in a simple universe say a universe with just one star and one planet and that you are a person with a mental illness, living in a psychiatric hospital who lives under the illusion that the universe is complex with many stars planets and galaxies. (all the textbooks and the stuff that you learned in school about the universe are false memories)

So if we live in a multiverse, while I grant that eventually some finely tuned universes will emerge by chance alone………….for every finely tuned universe there would be trillions upon trillions of “simple universes” with persons with mental illness who live under the illusion that we live in a complex finely tuned universe.

So if you claim the multiverse hypothesis to be true, then you are intellectually obligated to conclude that you are a person who lives in a simple universe, with a mental illness who lives under the illusion that we live in a complex universe.

Or even more probable, that you are a bolzman brain

I take this to be a conclusive and devastating objection to the “multiverse explanation” or any chance hypothesis for the Fine Tuning of the universe……………..and since you don’t seem to have a devastating objection against intelligent design, Intelligent Design wins even if it is less parsimonious

as with a lottery. Whoever wins was unlikely to win when considered in isolation, but when we consider the pool of bettors, the chances that some will win becomes nearly certain.
But the fine tuning of the universe is comparable to winning the lottery hundreds of times in a row……………….sure in an infinite multiverse, someone will eventually win the lottery 100 times in a row……………..but long before that trillions of people would have an hallucination of them winning the lottery 100 times

In other words, if you observe yourself winning the lottery 100 times in a row and you are not open to the possibility that maybe someone is controlling the lottery in your favor (design),,,,,,,,,,,chances say that you are in a hallucination or a dream ………………

This is analogous to. If you observe yourself living in a finely tuned universe and you are not open to the possibility of design, chances say that you are just in a dream or a hallucination. …….

The argument is the same: parsimony. We have nature and life, but there is no other evidence for a deity. Here's where your reasoning is fallacious. Nature is evidence for both hypotheses, and though tey can be oredered using the parsimony principle, neither can be ruled in or out at this time, and so we can go no further that to say it's one of those. You've gone further anyway, and just picked one by faith - an intuition, hunch, or guess. Your conclusion is thus non sequitur. It doesn't follow from what preceded it. Had you not taken that last leap of faith, you'd be where I am, which does follow from the evidence.

Yes but from the fact that we have nature and life, it doesn’t follow that life appeared naturally, I would argue that prissily because we have nature and life we can study both and conclude that based on what we know about nature………….nature can’t create life

We can study organic molecules directly and with detail, we don’t need to speculate much, we know they can do and cant do………………….and based on everything we have seen we can say with high degree of certainty that they don’t organize naturally to form life.

My argument is because we know (with high degree of certainty) that natural mechanism can´t create life …….we need to find other alternatives, and design happens to be the best alternative

We expect the same laws of physics and chemistry everywhere in the universe, and the same elements.

Regarding your fingerprint analogy, my specific fingerprints are unique, but fingerprints are not. We do not require that the life that arises be identical like an identical fingerprint, just in the same category.

It's a very interesting topic regarding what is necessary for life to form. We can't say for certain, but it seems that liquid water persisting for very long periods of time and containing assorted simple ingredients may be enough, which is why there is interest in looking at the oceans under the icy crusts of Europa and Enceladus. We're still learning.
Even if we grant that life arose by natural mechanism…………..it would be very likely that life arose as a consequence of a very specific combination of molecules in very specific environment, in the correct time and place and under very specific conditions …………………there is no warranty that this very specific circumstances have been repeated anywhere in the universe.

leroy

Maybe that moon or planet needs to be associated with a single star. Maybe binary systems cause irregular orbits that periodically boil that water or causes it to freeze extinguishing

Yes, or maybe the planet or moon requires something much more unlikely and less common than a solar systems with 1 star…………..we simply don’t know.

Since we don’t know which ingredients are needed, we can´t know how likely or common is life expected to be...........

It's my opinion that one cannot reason properly if he's using that faculty to try to defend a false or unfalsifiable belief - process which always warps objectivity. That hurt the ID people and caused them to see what they wanted to see but was not there - irreducible complexity. That same observer bias harms clinical trials that depend on subjective assessments by the patient and impartial more objective but still somewhat subjective assessments by the clinician. For that reason, the trial is double blinded, meaning that neither the clinician nor the patient know whether the therapy being tested was administered or placebo.

If you're looking for evidence for a god that you've already decided exists, you'll turn the evidence you find into evidence to support your belief as the ID people did, who saw irreducible complexity repeatedly when none was there. The proper evaluation of any evidence requires a dispassionate, impartial evaluation of that evidence, using valid reasoning only to reach conclusions - just like the arithmetic problem. Vary from that narrow path at all and you're off the reservation. That's difficult to do when you've got a false or unfalsifiable belief directing that process.
The same could be said about you and naturalism…………..Since you already decided that naturalism it is difficult to reach at sound conclusions if the process of thinking and evaluating evidence is being guided by this unfalsifiable world view.

Let’s say that the hypothesis “an intelligent designer is responsible for the fine tuning of the universe “ happens to be the correct answer……………..how would you know? It seems that your mind has a process of filtration that rejects ID by default.

If you're looking for evidence for a god that you've already decided exists
And you are looking for a natural mechanism that can cause abiogenesis that you already decided exists………….in what way am I being more naïve than you?

gnostic

The Lost One
"evidence of"
Would simply be the thing that s being supported……..did I understood conrrectly

For example testimonies of people having seen ghost is evidence for ghost and also evidence for hallucinations…………why? because testimonies support both hypothesis

In the case of Natural Sciences, evidence are required to be observable, testable, and be independent of anyone‘s personal opinions or beliefs.

But your example, about the diagnosis of hallucinations, have nothing to do with Natural Sciences.

People who deal with diagnosis & treatment of patients suffering from hallucinations, would be working in the sciences of either psychology or psychiatry, and those 2 sciences would fall under the category of Social Sciences, not those in Natural Sciences.

Psychology deal with what people are thinking, what they feel, so psychologists are required to listen to their patient talking about their mental or emotional testimonies, as evidence that might be suffering from hallucinations, which might be the results of delusions or other neurological disorders, but hallucinations can also be the results of alcohol intoxication or that of drugs.

While psychologists and psychiatrists may patients’ testimonies as evidence, THESE ARE NOT EVIDENCE FOR ANY SCIENCE OF NATURAL SCIENCES.

Natural Sciences, like physics, chemistry, Earth science, astronomy and life sciences (eg any science or any field that are biology-related), those dont diagnose or treat people with with mental or emotional disorder…their testimonies wouldn’t count as evidence in these sciences.

Social Sciences, like psychology, anthropology, sociology, human geography, demography, political science, don’t follow or use the same types of evidence as those sciences in Natural Sciences.

Where Falsifiability of models, and Scientific Method are essential requirements for all sciences in Natural Sciences, they are all that important to any science that fall under the Social Sciences category.

As to testimonies of seeing ghosts, that would under the study of “Parapsychology“, which have long since been debunked, and even among communities of Social Sciences, Parapsychology is treated & classified as pseudoscience.

People who claimed to have seen “ghosts”, are not even treated seriously by psychologists or by psychiatrists…so no, such testimonies are not treated as evidence for ”ghosts”, not even by psychologists or psychiatrists.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would like to add a note about the interpretation of evidence because I am seeing a big blind spot in the discussion about it.

It is being presumed blindly and without any doubt that 1+1=2. And that whatever the 'pod' of evidence we apply this logical equation to, the result must 'add up' in this way, because this is the only possible way it can be reasoned.

But it is equally logical to presume that 1+1=3 simply by completeing the math and examining the possibilities that remain. One entity plus another entity, combined, describes three entities. The first one, the second one, and the combined one.

The point here being that whatever facts, observations, or entities we choose to inter-relate, the results will vary according to the reasoning process we are using to assess them. So that there is NEVER one RIGHT ANSWER (result). Because there is no singular right reasoning process to apply to the interaction.

1+1 can give us the result of 2 or 3. And either way the process will be "correct". Meaning it will be logically (correctly) reasoned. So behind the debate over what is and isn't evidence hides the matter of how the evidence is being reasoned. And that there is more than one "right way" to do this. Leading to more than one "right answer".

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I would like to add a note about the interpretation of evidence because I am seeing a big blind spot in the discussion about it.

It is being presumed blindly and without any doubt that 1+1=2. And that whatever the 'pod' of evidence we apply this logical equation to, the result must 'add up' in this way, because this is the only possible way it can be reasoned.

But it is equally logical to presume that 1+1=3 simply by completeing the math and examining the possibilities that remain. One entity plus another entity, combined, describes three entities. The first one, the second one, and the combined one.

The point here being that whatever facts, observations, or entities we choose to inter-relate, the results will vary according to the reasoning process we are using to assess them. So that there is NEVER one RIGHT ANSWER (result). Because there is no singular right reasoning process to apply to the interaction.

1+1 can give us the result of 2 or 3. And either way the process will be "correct". Meaning it will be logically (correctly) reasoned. So behind the debate over what is and isn't evidence hides the matter of how the evidence is being reasoned. And that there is more than one "right way" to do this. Leading to more than one "right answer".
I have two piles of sand.
How many piles of sand do I have after combining them?

1+1=?

cladking

No two identical things exist so what does the number "2" even mean? Does a third of an orange plus a third of an apple plus a third of a hammer equal most of a smashed fruit.

We use science and math to reduce things to patterns but then we mistake these patterns for reality itself. We see what we believe so people believe in the miracle of seeing reality. When science becomes your religion anomalies become invisible and reality a mirage seen through a kaleidoscope.

PureX

Veteran Member
I have two piles of sand.
How many piles of sand do I have after combining them?

1+1=?
One, which means there are now three possible 'correct' answers to the query 1+1=?: 1, 2, and 3.

Math is a way of inter-relating abstract representations. And there are different ways of rationally doing that.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1+1 can give us the result of 2 or 3.
If that's true for you, then you've become untethered from empiricism and are on a fantasy journey. You don't need to make this so difficult, and it interferes with making other progress. You have no foundation. You undermine yourself. I have chosen a different path. 1+1=2, not 3. It works.
it is equally logical to presume that 1+1=3 simply by completeing the math and examining the possibilities that remain. One entity plus another entity, combined, describes three entities. The first one, the second one, and the combined one.
1 entity plus 1 other entity = 2 entities. If you want to add the sum in with the addends as a single third entity, then you have 1 addend + 1 other addend + 1 sum = 3 entities.
Your definition fails to encompass known laws.
My definition of evidence doesn't need to address any laws. Nor need it.

The interpretation of that evidence requires valid rules of inference.
A man and a woman have a baby. 1 + 1 = ?
1 man + 1 woman = 2 people.

1 man + 1 woman+ 1 baby + 3 people.

You, @PureX, and a few other RF posters are epistemic nihilists, but only in your musings. In daily life, you're empiricist like I am. You make decisions all day every day based in the application of reason and memory (knowledge acquired experientially in the past) to the evidence of your senses. You see the toast, you see the butter, you remember that you like buttered toast, so you apply the butter to the toast and eat and enjoy it, possibly while posting on RF that 1+1=3. Apparently, that kind of thinking serves some need that you and @PureX have but most others don't:

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence."

"Solipsism is the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist."
I am confused, aren’t you granting that there is evidence for a designer above in red letters?
I am saying that nature can be explained both with and without an intelligent designer. Both hypotheses are logically possible.
parsimony is just one of many criteria used to establish the best explanation
If one has two narratives that account for what is observed, the simplest one is preferred.
a hypothesis doesn’t automatically win just because it is more parsimonious……
The alternative is not ruled out because it is less parsimonious but will not be the leading hypothesis until it describes the evidence better, which in this case means some new evidence better explained supernaturally than naturally.
The claim that I am making is that if there is conclusive evidence against a hypothesis “A” and there is no conclusive evidence against Hypothesis “B” one should prefer “B” over “A” even if A is more parsimonious...........agree?
If there is conclusive evidence against A, it is ruled out and no longer considered. Remember, the preferred hypothesis is the one that accounts for all relevant observation with the fewest number of suppositions or elements.
the way I see it, Fine Tunning is consistent and predicted by both an omnipotent deity and a non-omnipotent deity
Then make the counterargument that refutes my argument that the fine-tuning argument implies a god that must discover what those fine-tuning parameters are, meaning that it is not their author, merely their discoverer.
The most relevant weakness against the multiverse is that we have a conclusive argument against this hypothesis.
You went on to suggest Boltzmann brains. That's not a conclusive argument against anything. It's just another of the ways of suggesting that reality is not what it appears to be. Others include a matrix, a brain in a vat, and last Thursdayism. None of those invalidate an empirical epistemology even if correct. Allow me to illustrate:

Suppose you discovered for an indisputable fact that the world outside was an illusion. Nevertheless, you still see your hand and finger and a flame on a candle. It's not real, you think, and stick your imagined finger into the imagined flame, it burns and hurts, you imagine that you quickly withdrew you imagined finger from that imagined flame, and the pain ends. Are you going to do it again, or just go back to the old rules that always worked before and still work now?
So if we live in a multiverse, while I grant that eventually some finely tuned universes will emerge by chance alone………….for every finely tuned universe there would be trillions upon trillions of “simple universes” with persons with mental illness who live under the illusion that we live in a complex finely tuned universe.
No. Persons with mental illnesses only exist in universes that can support their evolution. Those failure to launch universes aren't tuned properly to permit that.
In other words, if you observe yourself winning the lottery 100 times in a row and you are not open to the possibility that maybe someone is controlling the lottery in your favor (design),,,,,,,,,,,chances say that you are in a hallucination or a dream ………………
OK. I actually do feel like I hit the lottery. I was born into a universe where my birth was possible, at a time and place that was especially fortuitous and to a good family in a country where I had opportunity and the gifts and privileges needed to live an easy and satisfying life.

How lucky is it to be born in mid-20th century America to kind and responsible parents that nurtured my development and encouraged me to be a good person and get a good education that was available for the taking, who promoted art and reading, and not a victim of poverty or discrimination. That's a lot of good luck. Was that a divine plan? Maybe. Maybe just good luck.

But here's what don't do: invent explanations. Well, I invent them, but I don't choose one.

My universe is the same as yours. The difference between the worlds we live in psychologically relates to the fact that I haven't made such a guess, whereas you have, so now your world has a god and magic in it, and these things have shaped the rest of your thinking differently from mine.
Even if we grant that life arose by natural mechanism…………..it would be very likely that life arose as a consequence of a very specific combination of molecules in very specific environment, in the correct time and place and under very specific conditions
That's not the hypothesis. It used to be. The original model for abiogenesis involved a lucky lightning strike into a luck combination of ingredients. Today, we understand life in terms of thermodynamics. From A New Physics Theory of Life :

"Why does life exist? Popular hypotheses credit a primordial soup, a bolt of lightning and a colossal stroke of luck. But if a provocative new theory is correct, luck may have little to do with it. Instead, according to the physicist proposing the idea, the origin and subsequent evolution of life follow from the fundamental laws of nature and “should be as unsurprising as rocks rolling downhill."

"when a group of atoms is driven by an external source of energy (like the sun or chemical fuel) and surrounded by a heat bath (like the ocean or atmosphere), it will often gradually restructure itself in order to dissipate increasingly more energy. This could mean that under certain conditions, matter inexorably acquires the key physical attribute associated with life.

“You start with a random clump of atoms, and if you shine light on it for long enough, it should not be so surprising that you get a plant,” England said."

Does that description involving heat baths sound familiar? It's also why randomly moving air molecules organize into tornadoes and hurricanes, and why they are stronger and more frequent as the heat bath warms. These are all what is called dissipative structures, life being understood as a more complex one.
you already decided that naturalism it is difficult to reach at sound conclusions if the process of thinking and evaluating evidence is being guided by this unfalsifiable world view.
I don't know what that means.
Let’s say that the hypothesis “an intelligent designer is responsible for the fine tuning of the universe “ happens to be the correct answer……………..how would you know?
Only if and when compelling evidence for it arises. Otherwise, never.
It seems that your mind has a process of filtration that rejects ID by default.
It's called critical thinking, and it doesn't reject ID. I don't know how to get you to understand that. I've told you repeatedly that I can't and don't rule that out. I also won't take the leap of faith you have and conclude that it is correct.
And you are looking for a natural mechanism that can cause abiogenesis that you already decided exists………….in what way am I being more naïve than you?
You still don't understand my position. If you can't see what I'm telling you, then I would suggest you stop presuming that you know what I believe.

This seems to be the most difficult concept for many people - understanding the distinction between I don't embrace an idea because I don't know that it is correct, and I declare the idea incorrect - sometimes written the difference between not knowing and knowing not. Until and unless you (and dozens of others here on RF) can comprehend that, you have no chance of understanding the agnostic atheist's actual position.

Last edited:

Pogo

You are perfectly welcome to create you own set of axioms for math. Whether they will find utility is another question. The axioms we use are not the only ones possible, but a set that has been found useful.
The same with evidence, the axiomatic structure of logic has been found useful, but you are welcome to create your own and apply it. Whether others find it useful or unproductive is another question.

PureX

Veteran Member
You are perfectly welcome to create you own set of axioms for math. Whether they will find utility is another question. The axioms we use are not the only ones possible, but a set that has been found useful.
The same with evidence, the axiomatic structure of logic has been found useful, but you are welcome to create your own and apply it. Whether others find it useful or unproductive is another question.
This is how bias forms and becomes blindly endemic. Being able to be versatile in conceptualizing and inter-relating representations of reality via math, metaphor, debate, or creative imagination opens the mind up to possibilities that would otherwise be cut off in the stubborn defense of an biased axiom.

The mathematical formula is an excellent example of how we can all too easily overlook the various conceptual possibilities "hidden" within even the simplest cognitive operation by taking the abstraction as a reality unto itself, when it is not. "X + X =?" can involve a lot of different possible resolutions depending of what each of the five symbols is intended to represent, exactly.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
One, which means there are now three possible 'correct' answers to the query 1+1=?: 1, 2, and 3.
My point is that I agree with your point by presenting another example of your point.

Math is a way of inter-relating abstract representations. And there are different ways of rationally doing that.
Now you lost me.
But it has been one heck of a morning.

cladking

You, @PureX, and a few other RF posters are epistemic nihilists, but only in your musings. In daily life, you're empiricist like I am.

No, I'm not. I built models using empiricism but the models are arranged to generate nexialism. Other people use their models in other unique ways using reason to create them. They did not necessarily use the same empiricism or the same methodology to create and use them.

Believing that 2 + 2 = 4 in a reality where no two identical things exist is a belief in miracles. Believing that consensus defines reality is a belief in miracles. Believing that scientific theory is set in concrete after reducing reality to experiment is a belief in miracles. Believing theory can be founded on anything other than experiment is a religion.

Believing science is always right and always changes one funeral at a time is a contradiction, a paradox, and an oxymoron.

Believing there is only one way to skin a cat is short sighted and naive.

PureX

Veteran Member
My point is that I agree with your point by presenting another example of your point.
And you did that well.
Now you lost me.
But it has been one heck of a morning.
When someone says "1 + 1 = ?" nearly everyone will automatically respond, "2". As that is the axiom we have all had drummed into our heads and we now accept it is the one and only proper response/solution to the query.

But it is NOT the one and only proper response to that query, as you pointed out. And as did I. There are other proper responses to that query because the query by itself means nothing. Everything depends on what those five symbols actually represent. And on how they are actually being related to each other. And this often gets overlooked, especially when we dogmatically hold onto the axioms we've been taught (or choose) to think stand alone no matter what.

Last edited:

cladking

My definition of evidence doesn't need to address any laws.
You ignored my point that sensation can't happen in a vacuum. You must have some kind of framework using models and experience to even know something is soft or blue. You have already accepted convention when you say something is cacophonous or melodious. When you say that momentum is mass times velocity you have accepted all of cartesian space and its definitions. You have reduced all of reality to miracles if you aren't aware of this. You probably believe in "laws of nature" and that these laws can be described with a coordinate system based in logic called "mathematics". You might believe that these laws are immutable and were discovered through the genius of humankind. You might also believe that we are discovering new laws every day and that this is indicative of our virtually complete knowledge of these laws. You probably believe not only that all the laws can be found through reduction in the lab and that not knowing things like the nature of consciousness and the means by which it and thinking arose are irrelevant. I think therefore I am, is sufficient knowledge to ignore the very process by which we organize our understanding of reality!!! THIS is the greatest miracle of all.

Homo omnisciencis doesn't need to understand himself in order to know everything. Once you put the (des) cartes before the horse you just go around in circles and frequently get stuck in the ditches on both sides of the road. Why did the chicken cross the road? to laugh at the silly cart and the humans who keep putting it in the ditch until the next funeral when we move a few feet up the road and put it in the ditch there

It's all very ironic and all caused by our propensity to know everything and our certainty there are no other ways.

cladking

"Nihilism is the belief that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated. It is often associated with extreme pessimism and a radical skepticism that condemns existence."

I am not a nihilist. I seriously doubt any of the others are either.

I am a realist in a community that believes in miracles. I believe reductionistic science started bogging down with Darwin and was firmly stuck with its head in the clouds by the time of Freud's dalliance with his sister in law. Cosmology is fixed in the mid-1920's and within a few more decades even technology will be tapped out even if it isn't turned against all of humanity to profit the few before then.

I believe modern science and ancient science can be run in tandem to get our des cartes out of the ditch. I believe nothing can suppress the adventurous spirit of humanity and not even the religion of Science can harm us if we don't let it.

I believe humanity can still exist in its current form in billions and billions of years. Remember there is no "Evolution" there is only change in species which we can successfully avoid so we don't end up like the Porpoises in Vonnegut's Galapagos (...so it goes).

Eli G

Humans are too limited, which affects the discovery of new knowledge:

1. Humans are limited in instrumentality. For example, we cannot even directly photograph some physical realities because they cannot be focused with our instruments. In order to observe “farther away” we must improve our instruments or methods.
2. The above causes us to be limited also in observation capacity. By not being able to observe real objects that are beyond the capacity of our most powerful instruments, we cannot develop more complete theories about reality and its laws.
3. Our paradigms change at an accelerated pace, and this prevents the establishment of a single “science” that allows the connection between all the natural sciences existing today, that is truly stable and helps make knowledge holistic.
4. Also the scope (and methodology) of human educational systems is deficient, being accessible not to people with advanced minds but to people who can pay for classes, turning information into merchandise.
5. There are selfish interests opposed to disseminating fundamental truths, because the commercialization of knowledge is the current norm. Private companies handle an unimaginable amount of information that, if made public, would contribute to the increase of human knowledge of the truth.
6. Some are trying to form social classes that repeat the ancient rise of the “religious priesthood.” We see in this forum some “worshippers” of a utopian deity called “Science,” who believe themselves to be above the rest of society when in reality it is the money magnates who are controlling human forces, and not the participants in the task of discovering new knowledge.

In conclusion, humans are deficient in directing themselves. We need our Creator's guide.

cladking

Humans are too limited, which affects the discovery of new knowledge:

1. Humans are limited in instrumentality. For example, we cannot even directly photograph some physical realities because they cannot be focused with our instruments. In order to observe “farther away” we must improve our instruments or methods.
2. The above causes us to be limited also in observation capacity. By not being able to observe real objects that are beyond the capacity of our most powerful instruments, we cannot develop more complete theories about reality and its laws.
3. Our paradigms change at an accelerated pace, and this prevents the establishment of a single “science” that allows the connection between all the natural sciences existing today, that is truly stable and helps make knowledge holistic.
4. Also the scope (and methodology) of human educational systems is deficient, being accessible not to people with advanced minds but to people who can pay for classes, turning information into merchandise.
5. There are selfish interests opposed to disseminating fundamental truths, because the commercialization of knowledge is the current norm. Private companies handle an unimaginable amount of information that, if made public, would contribute to the increase of human knowledge of the truth.
6. Some are trying to form social classes that repeat the ancient rise of the “religious priesthood.” We see in this forum some “worshippers” of a utopian deity called “Science,” who believe themselves to be above the rest of society when in reality it is the money magnates who are controlling human forces, and not the participants in the task of discovering new knowledge.

In conclusion, humans are deficient in directing themselves. We need our Creator's guide.

It is these problems in communication that are leading us toward "Tower of Babel 2.0".

It's not only that there is a growing failure of communication between scientists caused by proprietary knowledge and specialization but also an utter failure of communication between the few who understand science and laypeople who often worship at the Church of Science. The wealthy run science and government and they generally understand science EVEN MORE POORLY than the average college freshman.

Communication is failing in the most horrible ways. The first time this happened there were pidgin languages for humans to fall back on but this time there are no other languages. The first time resulted in centuries long dark ages and the only thing that kept the benighted people alive was ancient technology called "agriculture". This time there is NO fall back position and agriculture requires modern science which would be lost. This time we would go extinct because this time if communication fails there are no viable alternatives.

We have mystics in charge of Egyptology and nobody cares. We have "science" that very few understand the nature of its metaphysics. We have companies that run at very low efficiency already due to poor communication.

We MUST clean up our act and do it soon.