• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists believe in miracles more than believers

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Really? Think twice

If an archer hits the center of a bull's eye :darts::darts:, would you infer "intent"? Would you infer that his intent was to hit that spot

I wouldn't. She could be testing different shoot styles without doing proper aiming. She could have taken a pot shot.
Or she could even have been hallucinating.
So not actual concrete intent can be infered.

vijeno

What does “not being an explanation” even mean?

In what way IS it an explanation? An empty, abstract, absolute first cause without any attributes, outside of time and space - what does that even mean? (Without referring to the christian god, a personal god, love etc - that faces other issues, but that's not the question we're talking about.)

It's exactly the same as saying that the universe just exists without any cause - apart from the semantic or purely logical difference, of course.

"The undefined beginning of the universe is the first cause." - vs "The undefined beginning outside the universe is the first cause."

Seem to me to be VERY similar sentences indeed.

Everybody is guessing when it comes to the reason for existence.

I don't guess. I do not know the reason.

PureX

Veteran Member
Another ad populum fallacy. If the intention was for humans to exist, the universe we observe is a terribly wasteful way of doing it. And somebody else who don't understand that we don't know what or if there is some wider context than this universe.
I didn't say the intention was just for humans to exist. I said the inferred intention is that THIS universe exist.

You're playing a bind guessing game until you get to something that is anthropocentric and contrived.
We are all playing a blind guessing game, including you. But we can at least apply logic to those guesses. Which is what we are trying to do. No fight us required, because no one is proposing any truth, here. We are simply using logic to explore the various possibilities that humans can we come up with.
Begging the question fallacy. So much more Mr Logic.

Looks like you wouldn't know basic logic if it slapped you in the face with a wet fish. And if it had hands and access to wet fish, it probably would.....
Why are you so intent on fighting? It's getting bizarre.

Pogo

How do you know these are errors if you don't even understand the argument?
Because you have taken a random string and decided it means something relative to any other string when in fact without any further information all these strings are equally probable.

Pogo

Think for the first time.

You appear to have seen an arrow in a random place and are trying to draw a target round it.
And then he invents a being to put this arrow where he found it.
And then he attributes powers to this being to solve all his fears and wants,

And then the sun comes out and dries up the puddle.

We've been here before too many times.

leroy

Think for the first time.

You appear to have seen an arrow in a random place and are trying to draw a target round it.
You are changing the topic ....

You are making the absurd claim that an archer hitting the center of a bull's eye wouldn't be evidence for intent.......(Because he could have done anything, ether intentionally hitting or missing the spot)

First admit that your claim is nonsense.....and the we can move to an other topic

Pogo

You are making the absurd claim that an archer hitting the center of a bull's eye wouldn't be evidence for intent.......(Because he could have done anything, ether intentionally hitting or missing the spot)

First admit that your claim is nonsense.....and the we can move to an other topic
And you have taken an arrow and invented an entire backstory for it just from your imagination.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

No, it is unknown what the intent was.
First admit that your example is nonsense... and then we can move on to another topic.

F1fan

Veteran Member
What you can’t do is generate a positive experience in a belief beyond reality.
False. I can create illusions and fantasy if I want to. I just can't pretend that what others create as religious experiences are real as imagined. I can go to an event, feel awe, and pretend it is an experience with a God, I'm just not interested in doing that. I acknowledge that many learn to do this, and they do it.
Your positive experiences rely on your physical environment alone, so the “hit” you would get from expressing your ego is self gratification at best or parasitic at worse.
The difference between getting a reward from fantasy versus real exprience is obvious. How we humans get off and create expriences are part of how we learn and live. To my mind we need to understand the full nature of how our minds work so that as we learn to behave certain ways we have more freedom to make a decision that is good for us. I have serious problems with teaching and indoctrinating children into religious behavior because they don't understand how they are being influenced. Many adults don't even understand how they get influenced, and tend to react to interactions and manipulation in emotional ways, not lucid and rational. This is how so many peolpe are victims of fraud, they are gullible.
The best atheist is a non-theist.
These mean the same thing. Atheist means non-theist.

ppp

Really? Think twice

If an archer hits the center of a bull's eye :darts::darts:, would you infer "intent"? Would you infer that his intent was to hit that spot
If you find a body on the woods shot dead with an arrow through the brain, was the death intentional? Was the archer even aware of the person shot?

The answer is you don't know.

PureX

Veteran Member
If you find a body on the woods shot dead with an arrow through the brain, was the death intentional? Was the archer even aware of the person shot?

The answer is you don't know.
You know that the arrow was intentionally made to kill. You know that the head shot was the ideal placement for that arrow to attain that end. And you know that the likelihood of an arrow piercing a man in the head "by accident" would be very, very low. So logically it would be valid to assume that the result before you was intentional.

Not being certain that it was intentional does not negate the logic supporting the presumption.