• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: Does Evolution Disprove the Existence of God?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Well, I'm an atheist, but this does seem to me the God you get left with. It's kind of a cool idea but would have no measurable impact on our lives.

Basically I think these deep origin questions are outside of the scope of what we're able to learn or know, at least right now and possibly ever, so I'm very agnostic toward them. I think all of us are entitled to squinch up our eyes and take a flying guess at what on earth it might be. To some, on an intuitive level, this is their best guess. For me, completely unknowable = the functional equivalent of non-existent (as I think I said earlier in this thread) so I'm a strong atheist. I positively assert that there is no God, because I think that God is defined as non-existent, which is to say utterly unknowable.

Then perhaps the answer to the question posed in the OP is:

Given the evolutionary history of life on earth, you either end up with an incompetent, bumbling, uncaring, cruel, and horribly wasteful god....or no god at all.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

There is a myth that to measure something is to understand it. I can use neuroscience to quantify various responses to Bach, but that does not explain art appreciation.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Then perhaps the answer to the question posed in the OP is:

Given the evolutionary history of life on earth, you either end up with an incompetent, bumbling, uncaring, cruel, and horribly wasteful god....or no god at all.

Or a magnificent but unknowable Deist God. This God, while completely speculative and not accessible to us, would be a bajillion times cooler, more powerful and complete than the tinkering magician of YEC.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure." -- Albert Einstein

There is a myth that to measure something is to understand it. I can use neuroscience to quantify various responses to Bach, but that does not explain art appreciation.

That's right. You can study it scientifically, but that's not the same as being moved by it.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Or a magnificent but unknowable Deist God. This God, while completely speculative and not accessible to us, would be a bajillion times cooler, more powerful and complete than the tinkering magician of YEC.

I suppose, but in my mind "unknowable" is functionally the same as "nonexistent".

Alceste

Vagabond

Well hallelujah - I agree with Jay on something. I've just been reading about the history of anthropology and some of the ridiculous notions scientists had about phrenology - that by measuring the dimensions of a skull, and describing indigenous penises and breasts in excruciating detail they could learn about a people's proper place in the evolutionary continuum (the pinnacle of which was - surprise! - the upper class Victorian gentleman scientist). IMO, measuring stuff is only as meritous as the aims of the relevant field of study.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I still haven't seen anyone really address this question...

What sort of god are you left with given the evolutionary history of life on earth and all its suffering, bloodshed, waste, and inefficiency?

Since you asked:

Brahman.

gnostic

The Lost One
I'd have to say "no".

Darwin's Evolution make no claim that God exist or not.

What the evidences support with regards to evolution are that humans have existed far longer than the Genesis of around 6000 years.

alceste said:
William of Ockham already discovered that God is unnecessary 500 years before Darwin's birth.

But then again, Darwin never claimed to be atheist. He was like his friend, Huxley, an agnostic.

logician

Evolution is a widely accepted explanation for the development of natural life. It has nothing to do with spirituality - let alone religion. This goes two ways, as there is no science in religion (and no religion in science). The two depend on remaining separated.

And really, disproving God is impossible, same as it is not possible to disprove the celestial teapot or any other figment of ones imagination, like the Matrix, His Noodliness and Non-Existence. (Russell's teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Disproving certain well-defined god concepts can be done, however.

Hitchey

From another thread:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1711601-post22.html

Personally, I haven't seen any atheists make this argument, but I figured I would start a thread and simply ask the atheists of RF whether they have made the argument, or think, that if evolution is true, then god can't exist. So, atheists, do any of you agree with this statement?
Personally I have never argued that evolution disproves God, infact I have frequently argued with Creationists that one can accept evolution and believe in God.