• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists have nothing to rely on

Status
Not open for further replies.

outhouse

Atheistically
The Great Flood isn't strictly a Christian thing. In fact there's actually a LOT of religions that have their flood myths, whether it's Abrahamic, Dharmic, Oriental or Pagan. There's a lot of stories that various myths of the world flooding, not all of them are the same but having a flood certainty isn't impossible. The Earth goes through changes through various periods in time and perhaps back then, ice melted and flooded or an absurd amount of rain happened or maybe a planet passed near Earth and the closeness of the planet upset the oceans and ice caps and caused much flooding. It would also explain why certain civilizations disappeared as well without a trace. Civilizations don't just disappear for no reason.

Legends have exaggerations but there is some truth to them and shouldn't always be dismissed as totally false.

This post reflects a severe lack of historical knowledge on the topic.

There is flood mythology because it floods everywhere almost every year.

As described the biblical flood is a factual impossibility, so your wrong again.

We know exactly when and where this mythology started and how it evolved for thousands of years before the Israelites collected multiple traditions redacting to collections into one story you now obviously know little about.

outhouse

Atheistically
, but it never occurs to any atheist as to why respected well known scientists took their time to study such things if there is no "proof" of magic or mysticism.

False rhetoric. You have ZERO evidence atheist ever thought anything like this.

People are born into theism and mythology and magic, its not a choice they made based on evidence.

If theology was based on evidence, there would be no theology

Shad

Veteran Member
No they aren't remembered for it, but it never occurs to any atheist as to why respected well known scientists took their time to study such things if there is no "proof" of magic or mysticism.

It occurs to me. I look at the superstitions which existed during their life time. I compare this to what the individual believes/studies. Ergo they tend to hold beliefs which are dominate for their time. Catholics that believe in magic, German Witch hunts for example, did so in a time in which the general population believed in magic. How many modern Catholics in developed nations believe that type of magic or any magic at all? How many in undeveloped nation believe in magic? You will find in both cases social norms dictates current beliefs. Social norms do not always change with religion or science as influences

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
It occurs to me. I look at the superstitions which existed during their life time. I compare this to what the individual beliefs/studies. Ergo they tend to hold beliefs which are dominate for the time. Catholics that believe in magic, German Witch hunts for example, did so in a time in which the general population believed in magic. How many modern Catholics in developed nations believe that type of magic or any magic at all? How many in undeveloped nation believe in magic? You will find in both cases social norms dictates current beliefs.

Agreed

You Galileo and Newton who were both religious.

We see clearly how religion tried banishing the truth with Galileo.

We see clearly where Newtons theology stopped his forward progression in his own theories

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
By the way,why do you still spell god the wayconservative euro jews do,as you have almost nothing in common ? Are you making fun of yourself or the jews?
Just to make a distinction that I don't mean here Jesus whom Christians believe as god while he was just a prophet, a human being.
Regards

Aquitaine

It is certainly interesting how difficult it is for some people to just accept that atheism is ok.
And how regardless of all the mythical delusions many of the religious indulge in, we are all in the same boat, with the same lack of "protection".

Unification

Not believing in mythology is depressing?

If I wanted to stoop to a similar level, I would ask, do people that believe in things that don't even exist hold sanity?

Wrong. We just don't believe in mythology or things that don't exist.

It has nothing to do with education many theist and non theist refuse.

Just because education levels have shown to be higher in non theist, means little here in your context which is blatantly obvious :rolleyes:.

The same EXACT thing that you will endure, your brains stops one day and your dead. The problem is you may not understand is that we only get one life. We know this so we can live our lives more full.

Everyone dies, not everyone truly lives.

Either will you, unless you can prove mythology is actually real.

If a being knows everything that you do, and on top of that, believes in myths, would that constitute an even more full life, as the mind was not limited in a certain box? It would be more full?

Can you explain why or why not believing in myths would even matter in the first place, if they just die anyhow? Really wouldn't matter. May as well have a more open and full mind during the one life, whether true or false. Why does a being have a mind that is capable of all sorts of creative imagination and beliefs, yet should confine and limit it in a box because of laws and regulations by the mind police?

Does it fulfill your life arguing and debating over myths? Without myths, you wouldn't have anything to debate about. Some of your fulfillment would be taken away.

A source with full knowledge and truth where the energy and heat goes precisely would be lovely.

Can you provide sources that an individual is their brain, because we all have the same exact physical brain, yet are all very different.

I don't believe in myths, but in meaning behind myths... Just trying to get a more precise reason and definition as to what a "full" life is and how you know precisely what happens at physical death if you've never died and lived again to tell about it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
G-d has told us and nothing is more sure than Him to tell it,

The fact of the matter is that even taking for granted that some revelation of God must be truthful (and that is no small leap of faith in itself), there are a great many others besides the Torah, the Gospels and the Quran.

Right then, even if we also somehow knew for a fact that for whatever reason we are supposed to take some scripture's words over our own (supposedly God-given) discernment and moral sense, most scriptures are at odds with the others to a very significant degree, so we would have to decide what to accept and what to reject anyway. And how to interpret and apply the religious teachings, as well.

The bottom line is, no matter what the truth about God's existence, will and scriptures may turn out to be, some things we may be certain about. One of those is that God did not find it important to make his existance and will at all clear, at least in a normative sense. Either he wants we people to use our judgements, or else we must do so anyway because there is no true alternative.

as He has created the universe/s and everything found in them naturally.

If so, then it must follow that he has no problem with atheists. Nor should anyone else.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Religious people have their God/gods to rely on. During difficult times they can seek help in mosque church synagogue or whatever, but atheists rely only on sex drugs alcohol for "spiritual comfort".
Well imho this a b.s statement if ever I saw one .
I know lots of athiests that take life right on the chin .

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Well imho this a b.s statement if ever I saw one .
I know lots of athiests that take life right on the chin .
Agreed. Personally, I think the thread contains ample evidence as to why so many do not believe in god/s. The reasoning demonstrated by so many true believers is so superficial that it is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.