• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists - Where does the intelligence of life come from?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I want to ask those who do not believe in any Gods or creators, what do they think is the driving force behind life. What I'm trying to say is, we argue about evolution v creation as regards the evidence we have but, say if evolution is true, then what is the intelligence behind the cells changing and re-organising themselves, who or what is directing them? Curious to know how you think

Your question is a bit vague and unformulated. It's not clear to me what you're asking. Are you asking why living organisms are so complicated, or how they come to have intelligence, or why it appears that the universe is designed by an intelligence?

Do you think you understand the Theory of Evolution?

As for the "driving force behind life" I don't know whether there is one, or whether it would be possible for us to know if there is one, or whether it makes any difference to us whether there is or not.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I didn't ask for proof of a lack of divine intervention, I asked for proof of the theory that we all came from a soup of chemicals that just hapened to react and fuse into 'life'. After all there are enough people who throw the 'show me the proof' argument at people who do believe in the supernatural, why shouldn't it be the same the other way around? Is there definitive proof or is it just a case of having 'faith' in the soup theory?

If you don't think life is intelligent then how do you define your own intelligence?

So it's abiogenesis that you want to ask about? Or atheism?
I think you need to re-think and focus your question a little bit.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Do you mean how did life start? I think the best answer is "I don't know." Life started so long ago, and there is no one who witnessed the start of life, so it is completely 100% impossible for ANYONE to know how life started. No one was there, except the first forms of life, which are very likely long gone by now, dead.

When I say that, however, I do not mean that there is a possibility of a god or gods existing. The chances of someone making something like that up and it being true are very unlikely. There's lots of mythical beings I've heard of: god, bigfoot, the lochness monster, unicorns... but I've never seen proof that any of them actually exist. Just because I cannot prove they don't exist doesn't mean I'm going to claim they might. When I see any of the four for myself, I'll believe in them, but that's not going to happen. :D

So yes, I think the best answer is that some stuff happened and life started somehow, and we'll never know how it all began. Not knowing isn't so bad. It's better than making stuff up that isn't even true. I like to say having no answer is better than having a wrong answer. And I mean no disrespect to people who believe in god(s.) I just really don't think an existing god is remotely plausable.

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi, knock knock,

I am reading Stuart Kauffman's "At Home in the Universe" right now. He proposes that life is self-organizing, and that self-organization inevitable in any environment that acheives an equilibrium between order and chaos. The order on earth would be due to the kinetic action of molecules sustained by the constant input of energy from the sun, and the chaos would be the second law of thermodynamics in action. It's a fairly revolutionary concept that natural selection and self-organization (think of this in terms of the formation of crystals) work together to produce the diversity of life on our planet. It feels to me like he's onto something, but of course I'll reserve judgment until I've finished the book and seen the evidence. If you're genuinely interested in talking about this (non-religious concepts of the origins of life) rather than trying to work a bunch of standard, boring and oft-debunked ID arguments into the discussion, I'd be happy to keep you posted with the evidence he presents.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm a theist... but I don't believe in ID...
I accept that life is chemistry and that chemistry happens naturally.
Our intelligence evolved over time from our ancestors out of deep time.

wa:do

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I want to ask those who do not believe in any Gods or creators, what do they think is the driving force behind life. What I'm trying to say is, we argue about evolution v creation as regards the evidence we have but, say if evolution is true, then what is the intelligence behind the cells changing and re-organising themselves, who or what is directing them? Curious to know how you think

As far as I understand it, nothing needs to be directing them. It's just the chemistry acting as it naturally would. Chemical A reacts with chemical B in either a beneficial or detrimental way to the host life form. If it so happens that it's beneficial, then the life form may survive longer in it's environment and pass on the instructions to the next generation to use said chemical. If not, then it will die. Simple enough.

knockknock

Ok, thanks for the polite answers from some of you. I'm going to try and re-structure my question with some evidence of what I'm trying to say. Thanks again

knockknock

I'll make you a deal. You stop spewing your willfull ignorance and vapid rhetoric on the internet, and I'll stop insulting you. How's that sound?
How it sounds is like you are an unpleasant person who doesn't have patience, manners or many social skills, or is it that you just like to trawl religious forums with the intention of bashing those who believe in God?. Just the words you use are vile and totally unnecessary. Why did you have to drop in and personally insult me, I mean, I'd like to know what makes you think you have the right to do that?

gnomon

The direction comes from Syd who is the comptroller for all life forms in the quadrant which includes this solar system called Plunk V. Syd's office complex is located on a station orbiting a gas giant in the star system Betelgeuse. The quagnaut specifically in charge of life on Earth is Doreen. Here subordinate, Bob, drives human life.

Bob's new.

Jill, driver for whales, has filed numerous complaints with the Balance Board describing Bob's ineptitude in driving humans.

But Bob is Syd's son-in-law.

Damn nepotism.

Alceste

Vagabond
Ok, thanks for the polite answers from some of you. I'm going to try and re-structure my question with some evidence of what I'm trying to say. Thanks again

You don't need evidence to ask a question. You can just ask it. I interpreted your question to be "how do complex organisms arise out of their basic chemical components", since otherwise it makes no sense. Were you actually asking people who don't believe in intelligent design how they explain the intelligence behind the design, and I just misunderstood you?

If so, I can clarify, atheists don't see the world as a "design", and see no need for an intelligence directing things, so you might be better off sticking to the question I thought you asked. :)

Please, for mercy's sake, don't provide us with "evidence" of ID though, k? We've all heard it (and debunked it) a hundred times, and on the off chance we've forgotten, we can look up the Discovery Institute ourselves.

Last edited:

Aslinitato

Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I want to ask those who do not believe in any Gods or creators, what do they think is the driving force behind life. What I'm trying to say is, we argue about evolution v creation as regards the evidence we have but, say if evolution is true, then what is the intelligence behind the cells changing and re-organising themselves, who or what is directing them?

This question in fact contains a logical fallacy known as "begging the question". Why do you assume that there is some kind of "intelligence" behind the development of natural organisms? The closest are the processes of natural selection and genetic drift, but they can hardly be said to possess "intelligence", considering that they are concepts, and not living things that possess brains.

I directed the question towards atheist because anyone else would most probably belief in a higher force of some kind. I am interested in genuine answers from people who believe that everything was just a big accident and all came into being through pure chance.

Again, you beg the question by using the word "accident". To say that everything was an "accident", you would be stating that a being caused such an accident, implying there to be a god/superpowerful organism, something that atheists don't accept.

Also, "pure chance" may be the wrong term. For instance, abiogenesis was not a result of "chance", but biochemical processes, which utilize chemical reactions and interactions. And evolution is guided by natural selection, the opposite of chance.

"There's no intelligence involved" WOW! That's a bold statement! Are you sure you mean that?

There is no need for him to prove a negative, as there is no evidence that intelligence guided the development of life on Earth, or the development of the Earth in general. If you believe otherwise, than it is your job to present arguments that prove such.

I know what natural selection is, it's simply survival of the fittest or most efficient which then prosper.

Since there is a huge misunderstanding in regards to what "survival of the fittest" means in a Darwinian context, I think it might be best if I clarify.

"fittest", in this instance, doesn't necessarily mean most endowed, physically or mentally. It means organism that is most adapted to it's environment, which can come through strength, intelligence, natural defense mechanisms, etc. This allows for creatures to be able to spread their genes to their offspring, therefore allowing that genetic line to continue through the population.

However, I'm talking how life suddenly appeared and evolved.

As noted, abiogenesis is not "random". Exactly what evidence does you possess that demonstrates that intelligence would be necessary?

Can you prove that?

There is no credible evidence that intelligence guided abiogenesis or the evolution of organisms. Therefore, it is sensible to retain that position until credible evidence emerges.

I didn't ask for proof of a lack of divine intervention, I asked for proof of the theory that we all came from a soup of chemicals that just hapened to react and fuse into 'life'.

You show a woeful lack of information on how exactly science works. There is no "proof" is science, only evidentiary support. This is because scientific theories, even those believed to almost certainly be true, can be overturned in science if solid enough contrary evidence presents itself.

After all there are enough people who throw the 'show me the proof' argument at people who do believe in the supernatural, why shouldn't it be the same the other way around? Is there definitive proof or is it just a case of having 'faith' in the soup theory?

Again, you throw around the word "proof", which is absolutely meaningless in discussions of science. In addition, there has officially been life created in the laboratory, something that creationists claimed for years couldn't happen as a result of abiogenesis being false.

From the website "Wired", Brandom Keim reports-

Brandom Keim (Wired Science) said:
They mixed the molecules in water, heated the solution, then allowed it to evaporate, leaving behind a residue of hybrid, half-sugar, half-nucleobase molecules. To this residue they again added water, heated it, allowed it evaporate, and then irradiated it.

At each stage of the cycle, the resulting molecules were more complex. At the final stage, Sutherland’s team added phosphate. “Remarkably, it transformed into the ribonucleotide!” said Sutherland.​

According to Sutherland, these laboratory conditions resembled those of the life-originating “warm little pond” hypothesized by Charles Darwin if the pond “evaporated, got heated, and then it rained and the sun shone.”

Such conditions are plausible, and Szostak imagined the ongoing cycle of evaporation, heating and condensation providing “a kind of organic snow which could accumulate as a reservoir of material ready for the next step in RNA synthesis.”

Intriguingly, the precursor molecules used by Sutherland’s team have been identified in interstellar dust clouds and on meteorites.

“Ribonucleotides are simply an expression of the fundamental principles of organic chemistry,” said Sutherland. “They’re doing it unwittingly. The instructions for them to do it are inherent in the structure of the precursor materials. And if they can self-assemble so easily, perhaps they shouldn’t be viewed as complicated.”​

(See the article "Life's First Spark Re-Created in the Laboratory".)

If you don't think life is intelligent then how do you define your own intelligence?

I define my intelligence by what I know, my ability to articulate my own thoughts, and my ability to do such as compared by my peers.

Curious to know how you think[/quote]

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
How it sounds is like you are an unpleasant person who doesn't have patience, manners or many social skills, or is it that you just like to trawl religious forums with the intention of bashing those who believe in God?. Just the words you use are vile and totally unnecessary. Why did you have to drop in and personally insult me, I mean, I'd like to know what makes you think you have the right to do that?

It is true - I have little patience for those who are disingenuous and/or dishonest. However, my social skills are more than sufficiently developed, and I display impeccable manners to those who deserve such treatment. You're here to preach your willful ignorance and spew your vapid rhetoric. You're not interested in hearing honest answers to your questions or engage in honest debate. You're disingenuous and dishonest, and I reserve the right to point this out.

knockknock

It is true - I have little patience for those who are disingenuous and/or dishonest. However, my social skills are more than sufficiently developed, and I display impeccable manners to those who deserve such treatment. You're here to preach your willful ignorance and spew your vapid rhetoric. You're not interested in hearing honest answers to your questions or engage in honest debate. You're disingenuous and dishonest, and I reserve the right to point this out.

If you knew me you wouldn't jump to such harsh judgements. Perhaps one day we'll evolve into a nicer race - God willing !

S-word

Rather than ask the question, "Where does the intelligence of life come from?" I believe that first the question must be asked, "Where did the life that evolved that intelligence come from?"

I believe that when mankind who first learned to create fire and the wheel, lived in caves, he didn't have the intelligence to create the space shuttle and all its ground support systems.
But after many billions of follow up creations, each of those creations being representative of the heights to which the mind of man had evolved, he finally evolved the intelligence to create the space shuttle and all it's intricate ground support systems; and if Man is created in the image and likeness of God. I would suppose that each creation in the universe is representitive of the height to which the intelligence that evolved in the life you speak of, had attained to at the point in time of each of those creations.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I suppose it all comes down to the OP being a statement of incredulity worded as if it were a question.

There are indeed people who believe that life, as it is, must have been designed by purpose.

Of course, most (nearly all) of us who actually look at the evidence find out otherwise. Having a good understanding of how natural selection works and not being too attached to the idea of mankind having a god-given mandate help, of course.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
How does it know to pass this on?

That's kind of a misleading question. It doesn't "know" to pass it on, as if there's some intelligence to know. It's part of the programming. It's the same way our bodies "know" to eat and sleep. It's just the way they work. It's not a conscious thing, and there's no intelligence involved.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Exactly... it's just the way the nucleotide bases match up. Simple chemistry.
It's like asking how water knows to make ice crystals.

wa:do

knockknock

That's kind of a misleading question. It doesn't "know" to pass it on, as if there's some intelligence to know. It's part of the programming. It's the same way our bodies "know" to eat and sleep. It's just the way they work. It's not a conscious thing, and there's no intelligence involved.
But who programmed it? How and why does one chemical know how to react against another. Surley that could speak of design at the vary base level couldn't it?