• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attempting to Censor X in the UK

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Do you realize how many times you've said you have no attachment to the term (several times at least, in various threads), and yet you run the term into the ground using it and all sorts of variants - woke-ism, woke-ists, "the woke" and so on. If you don't realize that, try doing a search of your posts using the term woke and maybe you'll realize your actual and real attachment to the term.

No, you don't get the point, but it hasn't stopped you from (over)using it until you've deprived it of meaning except for what it means to you.

As for the origin of woke:

View attachment 95619

As soon as a different term is offered, I will stop using "woke". Yes, I agree to its roots, but I'm concerned with what's happening in 2024.

And yes, I do often criticize woke ideas and behaviors. That's because they crop up all over the place.

icehorse

Premium Member
From what I've seen "the movement" has been straw men and caricatures from the imaginations of conservatives. For example, the archetype of the dyed hair girl who complains about "micro transgressions", which has no significant presence in reality. Conservatives however have convinced themselves that there is a vast army of this stereotype, who are all living amalgamations of everything they hate.
With respect, you haven't been looking very hard..

- DEI is now a multi-billion dollar industry
- Ivy league university presidents refuse to call out clear anti-semitism
- Any criticism of trans activism is met with cries of "transphobia"
- Any criticism of Islamists is met with cries of "Islamophobia"
- The UK frequently devolves into a two-tier policing system for fear of angering the woke
- Non-woke speakers at colleges are frequently silenced via "heckler's vetos" from the woke
- There is wide spread refusal to call Hamas a terrorist organization
- Standing up for women's rights frequently results in being canceled
- Lesbians who don't want to date men are labeled "TERFs"
- Many states now have laws to defend gender ideology, but these laws cannot even define what "gender identity" even means
- There are many best-selling books that promote ideas like "universal white guilt" and "oppressed vs. oppressor"
- There are widespread calls to defund the police

And that's just off the top of my head..

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
With respect, you haven't been looking very hard..

- DEI is now a multi-billion dollar industry
What's the product? How does it turn a profit? DEI is another one of those words that's been appropriated and turned into a slur. "DEI" with a hard "r".
- Ivy league university presidents refuse to call out clear anti-semitism
Any specific example? Keep in mind that criticizing the Israeli government or military is not a form of anti-semitism.

- Any criticism of trans activism is met with cries of "transphobia"
But opposing the rights and equality of others is bigotry, though.

- Any criticism of Islamists is met with cries of "Islamophobia"
Any form of religious fundamentalism should be open to criticism and scrutiny, especially when they use their beliefs as justification to violate the rights and freedoms of others.

- The UK frequently devolves into a two-tier policing system for fear of angering the woke
- Non-woke speakers at colleges are frequently silenced via "heckler's vetos" from the woke
Again, when I see the word "woke" I can't take it seriously.

- There is wide spread refusal to call Hamas a terrorist organization
Hamas are terrorists. That's an objective fact. But so is the IDF for targeting and killing civilians.
- Standing up for women's rights frequently results in being canceled
But standing up for women's rights is "woke", isn't it? This statement is misleading, however.
- Lesbians who don't want to date men are labeled "TERFs"
Another misleading statement.
- Many states now have laws to defend gender ideology, but these laws cannot even define what "gender identity" even means
Defending peoples rights and equality is essential for a free society.
- There are many best-selling books that promote ideas like "universal white guilt" and "oppressed vs. oppressor"
And? There is also this book: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Harvest-collection-semen-based-recipes/dp/1481227041
- There are widespread calls to defund the police
The militarization of PDs with serious corruption and misconduct issues is a bad idea.

icehorse

Premium Member
What's the product? How does it turn a profit? DEI is another one of those words that's been appropriated and turned into a slur. "DEI" with a hard "r".

Any specific example? Keep in mind that criticizing the Israeli government or military is not a form of anti-semitism.

But opposing the rights and equality of others is bigotry, though.

Any form of religious fundamentalism should be open to criticism and scrutiny, especially when they use their beliefs as justification to violate the rights and freedoms of others.

Again, when I see the word "woke" I can't take it seriously.

Hamas are terrorists. That's an objective fact. But so is the IDF for targeting and killing civilians.

But standing up for women's rights is "woke", isn't it? This statement is misleading, however.

Another misleading statement.

Defending peoples rights and equality is essential for a free society.

And? There is also this book: https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Harvest-collection-semen-based-recipes/dp/1481227041

The militarization of PDs with serious corruption and misconduct issues is a bad idea.
sigh... :(