• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning ‘Woke’ Words in State Documents, Arkansas Governor Signs Executive Order

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I already said:

Yes, it is a psychological thing. Like happiness. That is a psychological thing. We can see what neurochemicals are involved, but the state itself, like so many things, is felt in the mind.

Thanks for your response.

Now I think I understand that there is a strong fear that trans people are susceptible to stigmatization, is that correct?

And that fear is why it's considered bad to call trans anything like a "condition" or a "disorder" or an "illness", is that correct?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Thanks for your response.

Now I think I understand that there is a strong fear that trans people are susceptible to stigmatization, is that correct?

And that fear is why it's considered bad to call trans anything like a "condition" or a "disorder" or an "illness", is that correct?
311. I'm not repeating myself with something you've already responded to.
But I will say something like depression or schizophrenia are stigmatized amd they are mental illnesses.

icehorse

Premium Member
311. I'm not repeating myself with something you've already responded to.
But I will say something like depression or schizophrenia are stigmatized amd they are mental illnesses.

These conversations can span many pages and get interleaved with other conversations - so i'm not trying to put a burden on you, i'm striving to make sure we stay on the same conversational page :)

So, if we use depression as an example. I think it's called a disorder. And a person can have this disorder (depression), and still flourish. Similarly, I can agree with what I think you said earlier, that some trans people can thrive without interventions.

So if I said - hypothetically - that "trans is a disorder", my understanding is that that statement would be considered to be possibly contributing to stigmatization. So instead, WHO is calling it "gender incongruence", correct?

Do you agree with the above?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What harm is there in treating a trans woman
as a woman, & a trans man as a man?

It would depend completely on context.
I can imagine quite some contexts where for example treating transwomen as actual women to be very harmful to actual women.

Here's another "fun" one I once heared....

Suppose you work on an ER. A transwoman comes in and tells you that she suspects she migh be having a miscarriage.
Would you spend time on her actually investigating a potential miscarriage - and thus thereby taking away time you could be spending on another patient who actually has a real emergency?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I can imagine quite some contexts where for example treating transwomen as actual women to be very harmful to actual women.

Suppose you work on an ER. A transwoman comes in and tells you that she suspects she migh be having a miscarriage.
Would you spend time on her actually investigating a potential miscarriage - and thus thereby taking away time you could be spending on another patient who actually has a real emergency?
Ah yes, the serious problem of people thinking they have had miscarriages despite not having wombs. Totally a real problem worthy of lots of careful consideration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Such as.....
I've not "heared" of it happening.
In my experience with health care, the intake process
immediately addresses cis vs trans status, along with
allergies, current medical conditions, etc.
If you see otherwise, the problem is with incompetence,
not the patient.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, it is. The label "disorder" is arbitrary. You would not argue that "people born without arms" don't constitute a category of person.
I consider it a disorder too, but this is different
from people who label things "disorder" as a
means to diminish other people.
Terminology evolves in response to accumulated
dysfunctional baggage, ie, connotations.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Sure, but what we deem a "disorder" doesn't disqualify something in the way icehorse wants it to, any more than - in a world where being right-handed is socially expected and preferred - calling people who are left handed "disordered" means we can disqualify them as a category of person.

icehorse

Premium Member

Forcibly trying to bend reality to avoid possible negative connotations is dishonest, and does more harm than good.

If we want a better world, we have to find solutions that do not require lying.