• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism - what does it mean?

captainbryce

It's an act that symbolizes death of the old, and rebirth of the new. The act itself is NOT necessary for salvation. Even so, those who do believe (have faith) and are baptized will be saved. Kinda like how 100% of people who eat carrots will die. It doesn't mean if you are not baptized, that you have no chance of salvation. Belief (faith) is necessary, however.
Fair enough. I take it from your response that you define baptism as the symbolic ritual of dunking in water then?

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Fair enough. I take it from your response that you define baptism as the symbolic ritual of dunking in water then?

Yes. However, I also believe that true baptism is that of Spirit (love) and of fire (life's trials). It's the same concept that Bruce alluded to. It's a process of purification. Water baptism symbolizes this, but life and love fulfills it. The earth is a metaphorical furnace of refinement. Jesus stands as the refiner.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
According to 1 Peter 3:20-22...we are 'saved' through the water of baptism. It plainly says, "...that now water saves you also"...just like it did Noah. "It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (thru His shed blood). It puts one into the body (church). The water cleansed the earth...baptism does the same. Baptism saves us...but not it alone. Ephs 2:5. Just like the waters of the flood...the ark also played a part.
OTOH, in Matthew 3:11, John the Baptist tells us that Christ's baptism is not of water:

“As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

And if baptism was really necessary for salvation, what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1:17 would be very strange:

For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel

psychoslice

Veteran Member
OTOH, in Matthew 3:11, John the Baptist tells us that Christ's baptism is not of water:

And if baptism was really necessary for salvation, what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 1:17 would be very strange:

I like this way of seeing the baptism, its how I see it also......baptism of fire is beyond the water baptism, it for the mature in spirit.

arthra

Baha'i
I haven't seen this topic on here recently, so I wanted to get a sample of opinions regarding baptism. This question is obviously geared primarily towards Christians, but others are welcome to provide their own input.

What is baptism, and what is the significance of it to you? Is this a requirement for salvation?

Baha'is don't actually baptize but it was defined by Abdul-Baha as spiritual...

The performance of baptismal celebration would cleanse the body, but the spirit hath no share; but the divine teachings and the exhortations of the Beauty of ABHA will baptize the soul. This is the real baptism. I hope that thou wilt receive this baptism.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v2, p. 327

The second birth of which Jesus has spoken refers to the appearance of this heavenly nature in man. It is expressed in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and he who is baptized by the Holy Spirit is a veritable manifestation of divine mercy to mankind. Then he becomes just and kind to all humanity; he entertains prejudice and ill will toward none; he shuns no nation or people.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 40

"Thou hast asked regarding the naming of children: When thou wishest to name a babe, prepare a meeting therefore; chant the verses and communes, and supplicate and implore the Threshold of Oneness and beg the attainment of guidance for the babe and wish confirmated firmness and constancy; then give the name and enjoy beverage and sweet-meat. This is spiritual baptism."

~ 'Abdu'l-Bahá: Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, pp. 149-150

(Compilations, Lights of Guidance, p. 138)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

FYI - there's a hypothesis I first heard here on RF that I've since heard from other sources and seems to match up with the descriptions in the Bible: originally, baptism wasn't a mere dunking in water; rather, the person being baptized would be held under water nearly to the point of drowning. The new Christian would interpret their near-death experience as a literal, physical death. In this view, when Paul talks about believers having "died with Christ", he thought that baptized Christians really had literally died.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I like this way of seeing the baptism, its how I see it also......baptism of fire is beyond the water baptism, it for the mature in spirit.

That's pretty much the Quaker view of baptism: that water baptism was made obsolete by Christ, and now believers are "baptized in the Holy Spirit".

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Hebrews 5
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Hebrews 6
6 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

3 And this will we do, if God permit.

Lets us go unto perfection, perfection means to be mature in spirit.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That's pretty much the Quaker view of baptism: that water baptism was made obsolete by Christ, and now believers are "baptized in the Holy Spirit".

Yes baptism into the holy spirit, this is more of a realization of your true inner SELF, the Christ Consciousness, the Quakers understand it much better.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
What I'm getting at is the fact you gave a very convoluted answer to what should have been a relatively simple question. With all due respect:
Why say, "with all due respect" when no respect whatsoever is intended? There was nothing "convoluted" about my answer. Sorry it went over your head.

My Question
: What is baptism?

Your Answer: I believe that baptism is the ordinance or sacrament by which someone, having come to have faith in Jesus Christ and having repented of his or her sins, is granted remission of those sins and enters into a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ.
Jeesh, my answer was as good when you quoted it as it was the first time around when I posted it.

That's a great philosophical answer, for what Baptism represents (according to you), but it doesn't actually tell me WHAT it is.
It doesn't? Well, then I guess you've got a comprehension problem.

Is baptism the act of believing an repenting?
No. It's a sacrament/ordinance which should follow believing and repenting.

Does it happen as a result of believing an repenting?
Not unless you choose to receive it.

It is the ceremony of dunking in water?
Technically, yes. But any "dunking in water" is not being baptized.

Is it something that the Holy Spirit does to you ceremony notwithstanding?WHAT IS IT?
Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins really has nothing to do with the Holy Spirit. The scriptures say we must be baptized by water and by the spirit. The two sacraments/ordinances are separate. It is only when we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands following our water baptism that we have received both kinds of baptism.

Your Answer
: According to the Savior himself, baptism is essential to our salvation. = Baptism is necessary.

Your Answer: This doesn't mean that baptism, in and of itself, saves us, because it doesn't. = Baptism is not necessary.
Yup, just as I thought. Comprehension issues. I never said "baptism is not necessary." That was you paraphrasing me -- very poorly, I might add.

Your Answer
: But Jesus did say that he who believes and is baptized will be saved. = Baptism MIGHT BE necessary.
Once again, your paraphrasing skills suck big time.

After reading your response, I'm no more clear on the issue than I was before. For the benefit of those who might not be familiar with the Christian perspective, I'd like to know if this can be explained rationally at a level where someone who is not a Christian can know what baptism really is.
If you're no more clear on the issue than you were before, that's your problem, not mine. I'm sure my answer was understandable to everybody else who is following your discussion. I almost never have a problem getting my point across. When I do, it's almost always because the person who just can't quite get it isn't making the slightest bit of effort.

Perhaps, but that wasn't my question.
Actually, it was. You asked, "Wouldn't baptism come as a result of believing and repenting." My answer was: No, it wouldn't. It should, but it wouldn't necessarily. It would come as a result of believing, repenting, and choosing to be baptized.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Would either of you care to elaborate on this point? Do you believe that Baptism is a requirement for salvation, or do you think that it happens as a result of someone becoming saved? This is a chicken or the egg question?
I'm trying to figure out here if you are genuinely unable to understand what I'm saying or if you're just trying to back me into some kind of a corner. I say this because you seem to have considerably more trouble understanding my posts than most people do.

Baptism is a sacrament (we LDS call it an ordinance, but the two are essentially the same thing). We believe that when we receive this ordinance, we are making a conscious choice to enter into a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. A covenant is a two-way promise. We promise to take upon ourselves the name of Jesus Christ, to honor him in all we say and do, and to do our best to keep His commandments, repenting again whenever we fall short. In return, He promises to be our Mediator with our Father in Heaven, when we stand before Him to be judged, and to assume the punishment for the sins have committed and will continue to commit (as a result of the fact that we are still fallible mortal beings who are predisposed to sin). Through this promise, we are assured salvation, provided we "endure to the end" -- meaning that we be fully committed to serving Him faithfully for the remainder of our lives.

Jesus indicated that baptism is required for salvation. It's a sacrament/ordinance which is expected of us. It is how we solidify our relationship with Him. Still, baptism alone will not benefit us in the slightest. It must accompany a sincere heart and a willingness to be faithful servants. The scriptures say that "he who believes and is baptized shall be saved." Salvation, I believe, is a process -- not a one-time event. Since the scriptures also tell us that Jesus Christ is the "author of salvation unto those who obey Him," we know that being baptized is the beginning of our committing to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

It's not a chicken or the egg issue at all to Mormons. Perhaps it is to some people.

payak

I believe that baptism is the ordinance or sacrament by which someone, having come to have faith in Jesus Christ and having repented of his or her sins, is granted remission of those sins and enters into a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. According to the Savior himself, baptism is essential to our salvation. This doesn't mean that baptism, in and of itself, saves us, because it doesn't. But Jesus did say that he who believes and is baptized will be saved.

Ok,however John the babtist was doing before he had anything to do with Jesus yes.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I haven't seen this topic on here recently, so I wanted to get a sample of opinions regarding baptism. This question is obviously geared primarily towards Christians, but others are welcome to provide their own input.

What is baptism, and what is the significance of it to you? Is this a requirement for salvation?

The baptism is symbolic IMO. It is a symbol for being "circumcized of the spirit", though the symbol is as important as actually accomplishing what it represents which is being "reborn of the spirit". Outward gestures for inward transformations. Jesus was always saved but still spelled it out in symbolism and metaphors, admitting that its all cryptic.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Water baptism is a show of trust between the one baptized, the one baptizing and all the others who have undergone baptism for the same purpose.

It is a show. The baptism has no power over anyone. The person can make it have power. Other people can and do expect an outward show of the purpose of baptism. But by itself it isn't anything but getting wet. I think it is what Katzpur was alluding to. Baptism becomes something along with a promise. Without the real promise, it is nothing.

captainbryce

Yes. However, I also believe that true baptism is that of Spirit (love) and of fire (life's trials). It's the same concept that Bruce alluded to. It's a process of purification. Water baptism symbolizes this, but life and love fulfills it. The earth is a metaphorical furnace of refinement. Jesus stands as the refiner.
Copy that. :)

captainbryce

I'm trying to figure out here if you are genuinely unable to understand what I'm saying or if you're just trying to back me into some kind of a corner. I say this because you seem to have considerably more trouble understanding my posts than most people do.
Trust me, I haven't understood you or any of your combative responses towards me in the past, so from this point on, I'm no longer inclined to try to understand your posts. Goodbye!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Trust me, I haven't understood you or any of your combative responses towards me in the past, so from this point on, I'm no longer inclined to try to understand your posts. Goodbye!
Me combative? :rolleyes: From the first time I ever tried talking to you, you brushed me off as someone who had been spoonfed Mormon doctrine for so long that I was incapable of thinking for myself. Then, in this thread, you tell me that my attempt to explain what baptism means to me, you tell me my answer was "convoluted." And I'm supposedly the one who's combative. It looks like we're just going to go with the status quo here; you say you're "no longer inclined to try to understand [my] posts." Apparently nothing has changed. You've NEVER tried to understand my posts. That's unfortunate, because nobody else seems to have a hard time understanding them at all. In fact, I'm always having people tell me how understandable I make Mormonism for them. So, whatever floats your boat. It's all the same to me.

Heim

That's beautiful.
Could it also be seen as an initiation into the faith?

Heim

When formally leaving the (Roman) Catholic church, this is often called 'getting debaptized'.
I formally left the Catholic church, but I never considered myself as 'debaptized'. I may not be a member of the Catholic church anymore, but the sacrament lasts.