• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baptism - what does it mean?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When formally leaving the (Roman) Catholic church, this is often called 'getting debaptized'.
I formally left the Catholic church, but I never considered myself as 'debaptized'. I may not be a member of the Catholic church anymore, but the sacrament lasts.

I believe a person's baptism into God's flock is binding no matter what the religious persuasion of the person at the time. The reason is I believe there is just one God. But an infant baptism is different. Infant baptism is a reflection of the parent's intention, not the child's.

Heim

I believe a person's baptism into God's flock is binding no matter what the religious persuasion of the person at the time. The reason is I believe there is just one God. But an infant baptism is different. Infant baptism is a reflection of the parent's intention, not the child's.
I do agree. Although the child can later come to terms with it and accept the baptism.
Maybe some people feel the need to have a second baptism later on in life? A baptism that they themselves have chosen.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do agree. Although the child can later come to terms with it and accept the baptism.
Maybe some people feel the need to have a second baptism later on in life? A baptism that they themselves have chosen.

Yes. I was baptized into the Lutheran Church as an infant and again as a Jehovah's Witness as an adult.