• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beauty

Nous

Premium Member
"see" discern or deduce mentally after reflection or from information; understand.

Enough?
What I meant by this: "Provide the evidence that music is not what people most commonly perceive as beautiful" is to cite the evidence.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I meant by this: "Provide the evidence that music is not what people most commonly perceive as beautiful" is to cite the evidence.
I do not understand. I think lots of superior people believe music is beautiful. Of course, I am not in their class, but sometimes water is musical, and I call musical water beautiful. Before I continue
........................I should probably read all those words first. Sometimes too many words is distracting.
Are? No! The whole bunch together is distracting. I think that a whole bunch is one. I might be wrong. I usually am. Sorry. I am having a crisis. Forgive me, please.

Nous

Premium Member
I do not understand. I think lots of superior people believe music is beautiful. Of course, I am not in their class, but sometimes water is musical, and I call musical water beautiful. Before I continue
........................I should probably read all those words first. Sometimes too many words is distracting.
Are? No! The whole bunch together is distracting. I think that a whole bunch is one. I might be wrong. I usually am. Sorry. I am having a crisis. Forgive me, please.
There is nothing to forgive you for. Please don't have a crisis, especially because of something I said.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Yes. Music, painting, scupture, literature, etc.,

No. That is not what I meant.
For instance, can you mention one music that everyone agrees to be beautiful ?

Ok. Prove it then.

In that case, perhaps everyone perceives beauty different in some way not because there is something wrong with them, but perhaps just because beauty is instructed by nature and nurture. What do you think ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What "this beauty" are you referring to, and why do you say it's merely subjective?

The elements that mathematicians have identified as denoting beauty in mathematics--symmetry, proportion, “simplicity in complexity, pattern in chaos, structure in stasis," are objective elements, are they not?
Beauty is what they feel.

That this is not an intrinsic property is illustrated by what is beautiful to one
person, can be ugly or neutral to another. Another illustration is human
preference for landscapes which are savannah like, reflecting our origins
of being both predator & prey.

Nous

Premium Member
No. That is not what I meant.
For instance, can you mention one music that everyone agrees to be beautiful ?

Ok. Prove it then.

In that case, perhaps everyone perceives beauty different in some way not because there is something wrong with them, but perhaps just because beauty is instructed by nature and nurture. What do you think ?
Can you name one scientific theory that everyone agrees on? I can't. There are hot disagreements about how to interpret quantum theory. Should we conclude from that fact that quantum theory lacks any objective aspects?

Nous

Premium Member
Beauty is what they feel.

That this is not an intrinsic property is illustrated by what is beautiful to one
person, can be ugly or neutral to another.
I'll just repeat this:

Can you name one scientific theory that everyone agrees on? I can't. There are hot disagreements about how to interpret quantum theory. Should we conclude from that fact that quantum theory lacks any objective aspects?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'll just repeat this:

My spidersense tells me that you disagree with me about beauty not being intrinsic.

Nous

Premium Member
My spidersense tells me that you disagree with me about beauty not being intrinsic.
Yes. Your argument that beauty is not "intrinsic" because people disagree about what is or isn't beautiful is fallacious: the fact that people disagree on what is beautiful or isn't beautiful does not imply that beauty is subjective. The SEP article provides several good arguments against the purely subjectivist stance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. Your argument that beauty is not "intrinsic" because people disagree about what is or isn't beautiful is fallacious: the fact that people disagree on what is beautiful or isn't beautiful does not imply that beauty is subjective.
Says the guy who provides no logical argument that beauty is objective.

The fact that there's wide disagreement about what is beautiful, by how
much, what is ugly, & by how much does indeed show subjectivity.
The SEP article provides several good arguments against the purely subjectivist stance.
If beauty is a property inherent in the object or system, rather than the mind
of the beholder, then this property would exist independently of the observer.
If observed, then it would also be the same for every observer.
An example is the mass of a hydrogen atom...
- The property exists even if there's no one observing it.
- Different observers all come up with the same mas when measured.

Now, let's consider what an intrinsic property is.
Ref....
Intrinsic and extrinsic properties (philosophy) - Wikipedia
An intrinsic property is a property that an object or a thing has of itself, independently of other things, including its context.

How do you define beauty?
How is it measured?
What is your reasoning that it's objective, ie, a property
which is inherent in a thing, independent of the observer?

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I was suggesting one possible way to prove that something is objective.
If, essentially, everyone agrees on perceiving something in the same way, that gives credence to it being objective. This, of course, doesn't entail that for something to be objective this must be a requirement. The issue then becomes how you deduce beauty to be objective if you have no method to figure out where it is.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Your argument that beauty is not "intrinsic" because people disagree about what is or isn't beautiful is fallacious: the fact that people disagree on what is beautiful or isn't beautiful does not imply that beauty is subjective. The SEP article provides several good arguments against the purely subjectivist stance.

The way I approach it is to ask if I think a different species, from a different planet (say) would b to find the same things 'beautiful'. So, while I think that other species would be able to verify properties of iron atoms, I do NOT think it likely AT ALL that they would see the same things as beautiful. For that matter, why would have the same range of color vision or acoustic responses? Would I expect them to find sunsets beautiful? maybe, but maybe not.

So, no, I don't expect beauty is some property of objects. It is more a property of *us* and how we respond to those objects.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If, essentially, everyone agrees on perceiving something in the same way, that gives credence to it being objective.
This is also explainable by humans sharing the same evolutionary origins.
So we prefer savannah landscape paintings over other environments.
Mountain gorillas would likely find them ugly compared to cool rainforests.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
This is also explainable by humans sharing the same evolutionary origins.
So we prefer savannah landscape paintings over other environments.
Mountain gorillas would likely find them ugly compared to cool rainforests.

And I was thinking about how houseflies probably find rotten meat to be beautiful and dung beetles find a heap of elephant dung to be quite attractive.

Nous

Premium Member
I was suggesting one possible way to prove that something is objective.
If, essentially, everyone agrees on perceiving something in the same way, that gives credence to it being objective. This, of course, doesn't entail that for something to be objective this must be a requirement. The issue then becomes how you deduce beauty to be objective if you have no method to figure out where it is.
So you would claim that since there is wide disagreement about how to interpret the quantum wave function, that removes any "credence to it being objective".