• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief: What is it?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The context of this forum? This forum covers many things including science and politics as well as religion. That's another reason one should not be vague, especially in an OP.

My vagueness was intentional. It's clear to me by other discourse in this forum that people use the word 'belief.' quite differently.

Please give an example of "experiential evidence" as relates to religious views. As far as I know, there has been no evidence presented to support religious views.

An example of experiential evidence is provided in posts 7 and 8 of this thread. Such an experience, as it relates to religious views, may be a mystical experience, such as an experience of oneness or enlightenment, or what one experiences in the state of samadhi.

Is that your opinion or a question?

It was a question, hence the question mark at the end in lieu of a period and absence of a qualifier expressing opinion.

What I already said was:
Atheism requires belief in rationalism and disbelief in woo.​

Do you see the difference between what I wrote and your not-so-clever rewording?

Not really. Both essentially say the same thing; Atheism requires belief in rationalism.

But that was a nice attempt at diverting attention from the actual question to avoid answering it.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What does belief mean to you?

Is it a requirement of religion? Why or why not?

Is it a requirement of atheism? Why or why not?

Does Salix have the best fashion sense on RF? Why or why not?

Belief is a thought, that is not necessarily true/false until tested in reality. It is unknown as belief. Until known its only imagined.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Belief is agnostic. Darkness is full of potential.

Luke 11:52

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Belief is a place where you don't know but it sure seems true.

I suppose it's a step in religion:

1)believe
2) try the spirits, prove God
3) know
4) have faith in your knowledge

74x12

Belief is surety of mind. Stay your mind on something that is true; so you're not wavering and unstable in all your ways.

amorphous_constellation

It means believing in the human project. What probably makes it 'religious' or 'spiritual' is that I think there's actually a goal we are working toward here. This differs from atheism, where they generally think there is no goal. It also differs from a lot of contemporary theism, where they believe that we're all just spurning some illusion on some level, here in the physical realm. They aspire to different forms of transcendence, saying that we should fixate on heaven, or seeing the nothingness in corporeality. In helping us think through our distractions in reality, perhaps those traditions give us important spiritual tools, but this realm were in is, I think, still the plane with which we are meant to contend and improve. But these questions are also more complicated than that, or I haven't gained enough wisdom to deal with them in the smoothest way

Last edited:

Ayjaydee

It means believing in the human project. What probably makes 'religious' or 'spiritual' is that I think there's actually a goal we are working toward here. This differs from atheism, where they generally think there is no goal. It also differs from a lot of contemporary theism, where they believe that we're all just spurning some illusion on some level, here in the physical realm. They aspire to different forms of transcendence, saying that we should fixate on heaven, or seeing the nothingness in corporeality. In helping us think through our distractions in reality, perhaps those traditions give us important spiritual tools, but this realm were in is, I think, still the plane with which we are meant to contend and improve. But these questions are also more complicated than that, or I haven't gained enough wisdom to deal with them in the smoothest way
Athiests have no goals?? I know plenty who do

amorphous_constellation

Athiests have no goals?? I know plenty who do
They don't typically see teleology in things do they. They have science, which enables them to take things apart and explain how they work, but aren't they pretty reluctant to give things a purpose? They can think as they wish, if it's how they wish to think

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I think belief is a requirement of religion because God cannot ever be proven as a fact.
I do not think it is a requirement of atheism because they do not need to believe in anything
I don't know, I never saw you in a suit at one of your restaurants. :D

Ayjaydee

They don't typically see teleology in things do they. They have science, which enables them to take things apart and explain how they work, but aren't they pretty reluctant to give things a purpose? They can think as they wish, if it's how they wish to think
Reluctant give things a purpose? Not that I've noticed

Dan From Smithville

These are not the droids you're looking for. O-WK
Staff member
Premium Member

I know of a few people that belong to churches, but are not believers. At least that is what they told me. If you are a serious practitioner of a religion, having faith and belief in some aspect of it would seem critical. I could not imagine maintaining my Christianity without believing in God or Christ, but I am not fanatical about it. It is personal view that I do not push on others.

Not that I am aware. Most of the atheist I have met seem to rely on a logical approach. There being no evidence, they see no reason to believe. But leave themselves open to the possibility of changing their minds if evidence came to light.

Claiming to know there is no god of any kind would fall under a condition of belief. Some atheists take that position, but I have only met a few. Or so they told me.
I do not have enough evidence to come to a conclusion on that question. For all I know, you just might.

stvdv

Veteran Member
To me, belief means I am not experiencing it now, so no proof; but I formed a mental picture of it.
Example: I never ate a whale, but I have firm belief it's too big a meal for me. No proof yet, though.
Example: I did not know how computers worked in 1980, but I had belief, that I could learn in 1 year.
When it comes to spirituality, I want my own proof. Proof of others, I don't count as "my proof".

stvdv

Veteran Member

IF you want to accomplish anything in life, you must believe in your self. So you need belief.

So, in that case it is a requirement of religion
So, in that case it is a requirement of atheism

Ayjaydee

IF you want to accomplish anything in life, you must believe in your self. So you need belief.

So, in that case it is a requirement of religion
So, in that case it is a requirement of atheism
False equivalence. And besides, different t usages of the word belief

stvdv

Veteran Member

I believe an "inclusive Religion" looks more friendly than an "exclusive Religion"

Nice you include "fashion" adorers into your "spiritual" topic:)