• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief: What is it?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I think belief is a requirement of religion because God cannot ever be proven as a fact.

This assumes all religions recognize God.

I don't know, I never saw you in a suit at one of your restaurants. :D

I typically only wear a suit to business meetings. I'm usually in shirt sleeves and dress pants in my restaurants. I get down and dirty just like anyone else working there.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
And if one sees non self there is no need for belief

Yours and my religion as it relates to the Self are quite similar, from what I understand. The concepts of "no-self" and "Self is absolute" aren't all that different, all things considered. Swami Sarvapriyananda talks about it briefly here:

Ayjaydee

Yours and my religion as it relates to the Self are quite similar, from what I understand. The concepts of "no-self" and "Self is absolute" aren't all that different, all things considered. Swami Sarvapriyananda talks about it briefly here:

I'll let you know if and when I ever see non self

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Belief is simply an assumption that is unaccompanied and unsupported by evidence.
It says nothing about the truth or falsity of that assumption.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What does belief mean to you?

Is it a requirement of religion? Why or why not?

Is it a requirement of atheism? Why or why not?

Does Salix have the best fashion sense on RF? Why or why not?

I'ld say that a belief is the acceptance of a proposition / claim as true or likely true.

Atheism is the oppositie. It is not accepting the claim of theism as true.

night912

Really, so anything you see is knowledge, hear or touch is knowledge. You eyes, ears and touch are never wrong or can't be fooled. You eyes, ears, and touch automatically know what the sense is.
You eyes, ears and touch can only be wrong or fooled if and/or once you believe.

Truth is you believe they do and then you test your beliefs or don't.

That's a very dumb and irrational way of thinking. You will constantly contradicting and harming yourself. Believing something to be true before having any kind of knowledge of it isn't a good way. Eating a poisonous mushroom because you believe it isn't poisonous isn't a bright way of reasoning. Why do you want to believe in a million false things and not a million true things.

The only reason we can learn is because we believe we know.
No, that's how we don't learn and don't advance. How can we learn and do something better when we a believed that we are already doing it the best way. You will not progress very much. How can you learn something new if you believe that it can't be known, or don't believe that it can be known.

Can you prove reality is not just in your mind.
Yes, you can unless if you already believe that it is just in your own mind.

Is all that you see, hear and touch knowledge or do it only become so with trial and error or proof.
Yes it is. That's also how you are able to skip some trial and error resulting in gaining more knowledge at a fast progressive rate. You gain knowledge about doing things both ways, the right way and the wrong way.

night912

Something in which you are convinced as being true.

Yes. There must be some kind of common beliefs that's shared among the religion.

No, why would the belief of not believing be a requirement.

I lack the belief that you have the best fashion sense on RF, because you haven't shown me anything that has convince me of believing it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The acceptance that something exists without sufficient evidence to regard it as a fact..

It is. It's the foundation of faith, which is trust in a belief.

Atheism is a position, not a belief, which is established by a lack of sufficient evidence to accept the existence of god(s).

Who said he has any fashion sense at all?

1D274906144915-ss-140617-men-freaky-fashion-tease.today-inline-large.jpg

Last edited: