• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best feminist films and games

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
What in your opinion are the best film and gaming representatives of feminism?

I'd like to put in a vote for Kill Bill vol 1 & 2. :bounce

[youtube]-czwy-aVbbU[/youtube]
YouTube

Alceste

Vagabond
I liked fried green tomatoes and the colour purple. For more action, girl with the dragon tattoo and spring breakers. Fargo is also really good. And the Help.

Although I admit, I'm defining feminist films rather loosely as films with well-developed, strong, atypical, independent female lead characters. Funny that there are so few!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I liked fried green tomatoes and the colour purple. For more action, girl with the dragon tattoo and spring breakers. Fargo is also really good. And the Help.

Although I admit, I'm defining feminist films rather loosely as films with well-developed, strong, atypical, independent female lead characters. Funny that there are so few!

Good choices! I remember being obsessed with The Color Purple after it was released. Couldn't stop watching it back in the day and freely wept every single time I saw it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
A few female characters who come to mind that are strong/independent and break the damsel-in-distress/eye candy stereotype are:

Samus Aran from the Metroid series of console games.

Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2 and following episodes.

Rochelle and Zoey from The Left 4 Dead series.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I got really sucked into Portal and Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider though... let's be honest; she was one of those scantly clad, large breasted, one dimensional characters made to appeal to horny, pimply-face teenage boys.

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I got really sucked into Portal and Tomb Raider.
Never got into either of those.

It's no surprise that I'd pick Diablo 3 though. Male and female characters are equal in every way, but the ladies just look so much cooler. Virtually, no pun intended, all my characters are female. Oddly, the lady I play with every night normally makes male characters, LOL. There is something sweet about a frail looking character in stiletto's running up to save a Schwarzenegger-esque male character.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Never got into either of those.

It's no surprise that I'd pick Diablo 3 though. Male and female characters are equal in every way, but the ladies just look so much cooler. Virtually, no pun intended, all my characters are female. Oddly, the lady I play with every night normally makes male characters, LOL. There is something sweet about a frail looking character in stiletto's running up to save a Schwarzenegger-esque male character.

It takes skills to run, dodge, fight, and lift in high heels. :p

Alceste

Vagabond
I don't debate that. I just wouldn't count her as a good representation of feminism in games, since the aim is to break objectification and stereotypes. ;)

Ok, but she is an *** kicking, rich, single treasure hunter. Flat character, sure, but hardly a trope. Silly outfits, sure, but sometimes real women also wear silly outfits and I still respect them.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm no 'trekkie', but wouldn't a lot of female characters from Star Trek count? Like Cpt. Janeway, etc.

We've been watching stargate. That has some strong female characters, but we haven't watched enough for me to remember their names.

Battlestar Galactica was pretty balanced, I thought. Sci fi is usually pretty good.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I watched the hunger games recently. I thought the female characters in that were good.

Katniss Everdeen is a great strong female character, IMO.

My daughter encouraged me to read the books, insisting that they were good and not a "typical teen romance book" (her words). I always knew her to scoff at Bieber, Bratz dolls, Hannah Montana, One Direction, and pretty much anything that was pop culture. So I was surprised when she recommended the books to me saying that I would really like Katniss.

Bless her heart, she was so right with her prediction. :yes:

Wherenextcolumbus

Katniss Everdeen is a great strong female character, IMO.

My daughter encouraged me to read the books, insisting that they were good and not a "typical teen romance book" (her words). I always knew her to scoff at Bieber, Bratz dolls, Hannah Montana, One Direction, and pretty much anything that was pop culture. So I was surprised when she recommended the books to me saying that I would really like Katniss.

Bless her heart, she was so right with her prediction. :yes:

Yeah I think Katniss was awesome in the film. I'm skeptical of books that are that popular because of rubbish like Twilight and such, but after watching the film I'm more open to giving the book a go.