• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible - Book of lies

AdamEve

There are also many other people which call Bible the book of lies.
In order to get to that conclusion one only has to read the bible, no extra sources are necessary.
If we turn the bible on page one we will find two completely different descriptions of the same event - creation of earth.
In these descriptions order in which various things were created is completely different.
This is enough to conclude that one of these descriptions must be a lie.
So we have found first part of the bible which must be a lie.
Bible is full of completely different, mutually exclusive descriptions of the same event. Using the above resoning for each of these pairs of descriptions we can conclude that at least one of the descriptions must be a lie.
And this is how we can make conclusion that Bible is book of lies.

Awoon

In order to get to that conclusion one only has to read the bible, no extra sources are necessary.
If we turn the bible on page one we will find two completely different descriptions of the same event - creation of earth.
In these descriptions order in which various things were created is completely different.
Bible is full of completely different, mutually exclusive descriptions of the same event. Using the above resoning for each of these pairs of descriptions we can conclude that at least one of the descriptions must be a lie.

The Bible wasnt written to people west of Greece.

AdamEve

The Bible is not a book of lies. I think you just want to start trouble with the Christians.
I have given arguments that support my cnclusion.
Anyone not agreeing woth me should either attack those arguments or the process of conclusion made upon them.
Just saying that what I said is not true without giving any counter arguments does not contribute to the discussion in any way.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Or they could be metaphors. For example, I find the story of Adam and Eve to be very reminiscent of puberty.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Heh... you've also given arguments that support Ismaili's conclusion; it does look like you're just trying to start trouble.

Anyone not agreeing woth me should either attack those arguments or the process of conclusion made upon them.
Just saying that what I said is not true without giving any counter arguments does not contribute to the discussion in any way.
Well, here's a contribution: you've used an incorrect definition of the word "lie".

Awoon

The Bible wasnt written to people west of Greece.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
By these standards almost every religious text which was ever written is a book of lies. anything from Sumerian, Babylonian, Egyptian, and Biblical literature, Greek and Roman, Aztec, Maya, or Buddhist and Hindu scriptures.
I think you are looking for things in the Bible, which are not meant to be there.

Villager

There will be many complaints that the Bible was a book of lies. Jam-packed with under-statements.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
First off, define "lie".
Now please present the first group of verses and then the second group of verses and explain why one of the two MUST be a lie.

AdamEve

Or they could be metaphors. For example, I find the story of Adam and Eve to be very reminiscent of puberty.

But i am not talking about meaning of the descriptions here.
I am not talking about if adam or eve really existed or if god really created this and that.

I am just sayong that of the story goes like
Genesis 1:25-27
(Humans were created after the other animals.)
And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image.... So God created man in his own image.

I am perfectly OK with it beleiving that this might be truth.

But if story then continues like this
Genesis 2:18-19
(Humans were created before the other animals.)
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Then one of this two stories must be a lie because in first story humans were created after the animals and in the second before the animals which is contradictory which means one of the stories is lie which means we dont know how god created earth and stuff in it.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No you haven't.
You have merely made an unsubstantiated claim, then made more unsubstantiated claims to "support" your initial unsubstantiated claim.

You have not as yet presented anything other than a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.
Please present an argument.

As is merely claiming what you said is true without giving an actual argument does not contribute to the discussion in any way.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I am not talking about if adam or eve really existed or if god really created this and that.*
Until such time as you define the word "lie" you have done nothing more than make an unsubstantiated claim about the Bible being full of lies.

AdamEve

Describing metaphors as lies is disingenuous at best.

I am not saying if it should be understood literally or as methaphor.
I am saying even if you understand it as methaphor two stories frim first page in the bible contradict itself in amny levels.
I have already given an example how in these two stories order in which men and animals were created was different.
Here is another example showing how order in which men, woman and beast are created in different order in these two stories.

Genesis 1:27
(The first man and woman were created simultaneously.)
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 2:18-22
(The man was created first, then the animals, then the woman from the man's rib.)
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them.... And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

AdamEve

Until such time as you define the word "lie" you have done nothing more than make an unsubstantiated claim about the Bible being full of lies.

Lie is untruthful statement.
If two statements contradict eachother, meaning that they can't be simultaniously true, then at least one of them must be untruthful.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I am not talking about if adam or eve really existed or if god really created this and that.

I am just sayong that of the story goes like
Genesis 1:25-27
(Humans were created after the other animals.)
And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image.... So God created man in his own image.

I am perfectly OK with it beleiving that this might be truth.

But if story then continues like this
Genesis 2:18-19
(Humans were created before the other animals.)
And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Then one of this two stories must be a lie because in first story humans were created after the animals and in the second before the animals which is contradictory which means one of the stories is lie which means we dont know how god created earth and stuff in it.

You're taking it too literally.

Are you aware that these two accounts were taken from two different sources?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Lie is untruthful statement.
If two statements contradict eachother, meaning that they can't be simultaniously true, then at least one of them must be untruthful.

Not quite. A "lie" is a deliberately untruthful statement. Just because something happens to be untrue does not make it a lie.