• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible - Book of lies

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Lie is untruthful statement.
If two statements contradict eachother, meaning that they can't be simultaniously true, then at least one of them must be untruthful.
A lie is any statement with the intention to deceive.
It is the intention of deception that makes a statement a lie, not the validity of the statement.

Villager

It's truly amazing. Not so long ago, atheists were mocking those they took to be Christians for taking Genesis literally, now they have to do the very same to get any sort of appearance of success.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's truly amazing. Not so long ago, atheists were mocking those they took to be Christians for taking Genesis literally, now they have to do the very same to get any sort of appearance of success.
You ought not lump us all together in this fashion.
We're a diverse bunch.....as are Xians.

AdamEve

And how about when priests talk about god creating earth and they only talk of the first version of it and FORGET to mention that there is another one comp,itely different.
What coul we call that?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
one wonders if your chosen deity is as fond of dishonesty as your two posts in this thread have shown you to be.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And how about when priests talk about god creating earth and they only talk of the first version of it and FORGET to mention that there is another one comp,itely different.
What coul we call that?
How do you know that the priest in question even knows about the other one?

waitasec

Veteran Member
A lie is any statement with the intention to deceive.
It is the intention of deception that makes a statement a lie, not the validity of the statement.
i'm not so sure intent is the point though.
the term, "looks can be deceiving" doesn't mean the deception was intentional.
if one were to look to the bible for answers one would also need to take it with a truck load of salt.
;)

AdamEve

At which point did I state that I take it literraly?
I just compared two stories to be contradictory without going innto disvussion if they are methaphors or literal.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
But if he did know would that be lying?
Don't know.

The problem here is your attempt to paint everything with the widest possible brush.
Is the priest intentionally trying to deceive with his omission of the second story?
If not then no, it is not a lie.
If so, then yes it is a lie.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
At which point did I state that I take it literraly?
I just compared two stories to be contradictory without going innto disvussion if they are methaphors or literal.

Presenting the contractions as evidence of "lying" ie., intentional dishonesty, implies that both stories are in fact intended to be taken literally.

Unless you actually are approaching them that way, calling them "lies" makes as much sense as "Lord of the Rings---Book of lies".

Walkntune

There are also many other people which call Bible the book of lies.
In order to get to that conclusion one only has to read the bible, no extra sources are necessary.
If we turn the bible on page one we will find two completely different descriptions of the same event - creation of earth.
In these descriptions order in which various things were created is completely different.
This is enough to conclude that one of these descriptions must be a lie.
So we have found first part of the bible which must be a lie.
Bible is full of completely different, mutually exclusive descriptions of the same event. Using the above resoning for each of these pairs of descriptions we can conclude that at least one of the descriptions must be a lie.
And this is how we can make conclusion that Bible is book of lies.

The Bible is the same thing spiritually as a mirror is physically. What you see in it is a reflection of your own soul!