• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Versions

may

ApologeticsCatholic said:
when books are removed it takes away from the orignial translation....
so if you want a closley translated valid bible, then choose a bible with the apycropha,
i was just thinking that if you want a version that is close to the original, then put Gods name back in its original place , its in there nearly 7 ,000 times but most translators have removed it .
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.psalm 83;18

The "Name" of God is unknown the term jehova simply means "the lord" in itself its a translation, God has been called many things in the bible, but when asked he does not say my name is Jehove he says "I am ____________" as in i am who was is and always will be, he didnt give himself a name, but humanity has titled him Jehova or lord. and who are humans to give God his name?

may

ApologeticsCatholic said:
The "Name" of God is unknown the term jehova simply means "the lord" in itself its a translation, God has been called many things in the bible, but when asked he does not say my name is Jehove he says "I am ____________" as in i am who was is and always will be, he didnt give himself a name, but humanity has titled him Jehova or lord. and who are humans to give God his name?
the name Jehovah means (he causes to become ) and whatever he wants to happen ,will prove to be ................ many translations put I AM , but it should say I WILL PROVE TO BE ................ his name has great meaning and sums up just what he is . and there is no one else like him .......... everything he says will happen ........... will happen ......................I WILL PROVE TO BE WHAT I WILL PROVE TO BE......................
The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te·tra-, meaning "four," and gram´ma, "letter"). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).

Ask him where he got the word Jehovah from?
The holy bible?

What does it say? does it spell out the word jehova?
No? of course not, so what does it say?

tetragrammaton? how come no one seems to have heard this highly mystical term before?

What then is a "tetragrammaton!" is it Y W H Hi?

"what does the word tetragrammaton mean?" "Tetra," in Greek means FOUR, and "grammaton," means LETTERS. It simply means "a four letter word." thats it a four letter word Not Jehova!

Can you read into Y H W H the word Jehovah?

Originally, both Hebrew and Arabic were written without the vowel signs The native of each language was able to read if even without those vowels. Not so the outsider, for whose benefit the vowels were invented

i know i know you want to add vowels so we can pronounce it , ok lets!

wait.....

YHWH becomes YeHoWaH

Juggle as you like but you can never materialise Jehovah!

from which hat did you draw your "J"?

is this is the 'popular' pronunciation from the 16th century?

The exact sound of the four letters YHWH is known neither to the Jews nor to the Gentiles, yet you are ramming JEHOVAH down everyones throats.

The letters Y H W H occur in the Hebrew (Jewish) Scriptures Exactly 6,823 times
nd it occurs in combination with the word "Elohim;" 156 times in the genisis alone.

his combination YHWH/ELOHIM has been consistently translated in the English Bible as "Lord God," "Lord God," Lord God," ad infinitum.

What is YHWH; and what is ELOHIM? Since the jews did not articulate the word YHWH for centuries, and since even the Chief Rabbis would not allow the ineffable to be heard, they have forfeited the right to claim dogmatically how the word is to be sounded. We have to seek the aid of the Arab to revive Hebrew, a language which had once died out. In every linguistic difficulty recourse has to be made to Arabic, a sister language, which has remained alive and viable. Racially and linguistically, the Arabs and the Jews have a common origin, going back to Father Abraham.[FONT=Garamond, times new roman]1 [/FONT]

for arguments sake lets look at the resemblance in lagnuages.

Elah-- Ilah-- god
Ikhud--- Ahud ---one
Yaum --- Yaum-- day
Shaloam-- Salaam- peace
Yahuwa-- Ya Huwa-- oh he

very similiar!

YHWH or Yehova or Yahuwa all mean the very same thing. "Ya" is a vocative and an exclamatory particle in both Hebrew and Arabic, meaning Oh! And "Huwa" or "Hu" means He, again in both Hebrew and Arabic. Together they mean Oh He! So instead of YHWH ELOHIM, we now have Oh He! ELOHIM.

NOT JEHOVA!

and as posted to you in another post with the similiar topic

Who do you say I am? [Matt 16:15]

And Jesus said, "if you do not believe that I AM, you will indeed die in your sins." [John 8:24--Greek]. This "I AM" is none other than God Almighty who appeared to Moses in the flames of the burning bush.

seeing as JW love revelation.

Revelation

Revelation 1:8; "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God , "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

"the Lord God"

Who is the Alpha and the Omega?"

Revelation 21:6-7 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End....and I will be his God."

Who is the beginning and the end?

Revelation 22:12-13 "Behold, I am coming soon!...I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

In this verse we already see that this Alpha/Omega; First/Last; Beginning/End is coming soon. Verse 16 says, "I, Jesus..."

who is the First and the Last?

Revelation 1:17-18

"Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last [now who is this First/Last?--Jehovah God?] I am the Living One; I WAS DEAD, AND BEHOLD I AM ALIVE FOR EVER AND EVER!.

"When did Jehovah God die?"

Case Closed! See you next year! Good try!:shout

may

The truth is, nobody knows for sure how the name of God was originally pronounced. Why not? Well, the first language used in writing the Bible was Hebrew, and when the Hebrew language was written down, the writers wrote only consonants—not vowels. Hence, when the inspired writers wrote God’s name, they naturally did the same thing and wrote only the consonants.

While ancient Hebrew was an everyday spoken language, this presented no problem. The pronunciation of the Name was familiar to the Israelites and when they saw it in writing they supplied the vowels without thinking (just as, for an English reader, the abbreviation "Ltd." represents "Limited" and "bldg." represents "building").
Two things happened to change this situation. First, a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong to say the divine name out loud; so when they came to it in their Bible reading they uttered the Hebrew word ’Adho·nai´ ("Sovereign Lord"). Further, as time went by, the ancient Hebrew language itself ceased to be spoken in everyday conversation, and in this way the original Hebrew pronunciation of God’s name was eventually forgotten.
In order to ensure that the pronunciation of the Hebrew language as a whole would not be lost, Jewish scholars of the second half of the first millennium C.E. invented a system of points to represent the missing vowels, and they placed these around the consonants in the Hebrew Bible. Thus, both vowels and consonants were written down, and the pronunciation as it was at that time was preserved.​
When it came to God’s name, instead of putting the proper vowel signs around it, in most cases they put other vowel signs to remind the reader that he should say ’Adho·nai´. From this came the spelling Iehouah, and, eventually, Jehovah became the accepted pronunciation of the divine name in English. This retains the essential elements of God’s name from the Hebrew original...................... but we must retain the essential elements of Gods name , most translations have not done this they have put other things instead:no:

Ill just keep refering back to my Last page, JEHOVA is never mentioned in the Bible ....Case CLOSED! J doesnt exist in the term Y W H W and you can try as you like you will never for JEHOVA out of it, simple, and to the point, nice try again, there is no justification for it , and the term you used simple means "4 letters" THATS IT!
no offense but straight foward a 10 year old would understand it.

if the pronunciation of gods name was eventually forgotten how is it you know? and where is it ACTUALLY found in scripture, its not

writer

97 any translation with the aprycrohpha to be a valid translation,
that'd depend on the translation

when books are removed it takes away from the orignial translation....
was the aprycrohpa removed? yes
should it be in a valid translation? YES
To the contrary: Whether apocrypha's present or not has nothing, especially nothing directly, to do w/ translation. Translation's one thing. Apocrypha's another.
In any case, as Jerome and many others realize, the Jewish Apocrypha never was Scripture, never will be, and never can b

102 many names given to [G]od
amen

103 That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.psalm 83;18
Jesus is Jehovah in flesh. Unless you believe that I am, you'll die in your sins.
The Word was God, the Word was with God, the Word became flesh.
Existing in the form of God, emptied Himself, becoming in the likeness of men, and being found in fashion as a man, becoming obedient even unto death; therefore God's highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, that in the name of Jesus every knee should bow, every tongue should openly confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father

104 The "Name" of God is unknown the term jehova simply means "the lord"
To the contrary: "Jehovah" means "He who is," Exodus 3:13-16; John 8:24, 28, 58; 18:5-6, 8; Genesis 2:4-9, 15-22

God has been called many things in the bible, but when asked he does not say my name is Jehove he says "I am ____________" as in i am who was is and always will be, he didnt give himself a name,
He did "give Himself a name." When He became flesh.
And when eight days were fulfilled to circumcise Him, His name was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before He conceived in the womb. Luke 2:21.
"Jehovah's Salvation." Jesus (Jehovah) is Jehovah's salvation. Himself. Not a substitute or another mediator.
"He is" means "Jehovah"

but humanity has titled him Jehova or lord. and who are humans to give God his name?
His chosen ones. Jehovah Himself became man

106 Can you read into Y H W H the word Jehovah?
yes. As u wrote in 105: "The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te·tra-, meaning "four," and gram´ma, "letter"). These four letters (written from right to left) are יהוה and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH)"

YHWH becomes YeHoWaH. Juggle as you like but you can never materialise Jehovah!
from which hat did you draw your "J"?

"J" in English, is sometimes used as for our Y sound, or "Y." Like it's for our H sound in Spanish. No "juggling" involved.

In the Son of Jehovah. Who is Jehovah. And Who became one of us, flesh, to die. Although Jehovah's eternal life never was, nor could ever be, extinguished.

He passed thru death, and, behold, is living forever more.

still stands Jehova Never died, his son who is Also God did die however and rise from the dead

"In the Son of Jehovah. Who is Jehovah"
"in the son of god. WHO IS GOD"

enouph said?

"J" in English, is sometimes used as for our Y sound as for our Y sound not are Y and speaking in general we are refering to a greek language not modern day english

and may be transliterated into English as YHWH not JHVH YHWH period. as per what i wrote in pst above

writer

110 Jehova Never died, his son who is Also God did die however and rise from the dead
Jehovah's Son is Jehovah. John 8:58; Zechariah 14:3-4. Jehovah's Sent One (upper case) is Jehovah. Zech 2:8-10; Colossians 2:9. Jehovah became a man (born of a virgin) named Jesus Christ.

...and may be transliterated into English as YHWH not JHVH YHWH period.
To the contrary: YHWH may be written as YHWH or as JHVH, JHWH, in English.
At least as English stands currently

In ecglish it may be possible based on sounds and possiblity of sounds alone but seeing as the early text and language doesnt even come close to having a similarity with the English language the reason you choose is not valid.

and i agree Gods son is indeed God Christ is God.

writer

at least here, write and read English.
English is one language. Hebrew's another. They're two different languages.
There's lot o' languages in the world. Even lots o' different alphabets and scripts, like Hebrew vs English.

the reason you choose is not valid.
i gotta disagree

and i agree Gods son is indeed God Christ is God.
i gotta agree. And do wholeheartedly. As He is "all" that matters. Thanks

cardw

If you want to get a good overview of this problem of versions Bart D Ehrman has a great book called, "Misquoting Jesus" where he goes over the difficulty of establishing an official translation.

The major difficulty is that we have a whole lot of early versions of the Bible in Greek that differ from each other. In fact there may be as many as 20 to 30 thousand differences in the texts. Many are minor, but there are a number that are quite significant.

Richard

may

EARLY in the second century, after the last of the apostles had died, the falling away from the Christian faith foretold by Jesus and his followers began in earnest. Pagan philosophies and doctrines infiltrated the congregation; sects and divisions arose, and the original purity of faith was corrupted. And God’s name ceased to be used.:(

writer

115 God's name ceased to be used
What nonsense. Jesus is God. According to the Scriptures. And His New Testament believers

114 ...official translation.
Official? Legal? What? That probably makes as little sense as Bart Ehrman's book

The major difficulty is that we have a whole lot of early versions of the Bible in Greek that differ from each other.
The OT? The N? Overall they differ very little. Perhaps 114 has some particular portions in mind

In fact there may be as many as 20 to 30 thousand differences in the texts.
On its face, this also sounds as ludicrous as Mr Ehrman's book

Many are minor,
This sounds more accurate and reasonable

but there are a number that are quite significant.
Not really. Perhaps 114 would care to specify at least one, for unbiased readers to judge

may

The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the first five books of the Bible. In this he included the name of God, usually spelled Iehouah, in several verses,
Genesis 15:2; Exodus 6:3; 15:3; 17:16; 23:17; 33:19; 34:23; Deuteronomy 3:24. Tyndale also included God’s name in Ezekiel 18:23 and 36:23, in his translations that were added at the end of The New Testament, Antwerp, 1534.
and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God’s name . . . Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah." From this the practice arose of using Jehovah’s name in just a few verses and writing "LORD" or "GOD" in most other places where the Tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text.

may

In 1611 what became the most widely used English translation, the Authorized Version, was published. In this, the name appeared four times in the main text. (Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4) "Jah," a poetic abbreviation of the name, appeared in Psalm 68:4. And the name appeared in full in place-names such as "Jehovah-jireh." (Genesis 22:14; Exodus 17:15; Judges 6:24) However, following the example of Tyndale, the translators in most instances substituted "LORD" or "GOD" for God’s name. But if God’s name could appear in four verses, why could it not appear in all the other thousands of verses that contain it in the original Hebrew?

may

Some widely used versions that include the name are the Valera translation (Spanish, published in 1602), the Almeida version (Portuguese, published in 1681), the original Elberfelder version (German, published in 1871), as well as the American Standard Version (English, published in 1901). Some translations, notably The Jerusalem Bible, also consistently use God’s name but with the spelling Yahweh.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
SB Habakuk said:
The one true version of the "logos"- the Trace of Salt- is your interpretation of it.

As the resident Neo-Zoroastrian, I must ask why the use of the Zoroastrian symbol as your avatar?