• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden Expected to Sign Executive Order Restricting Asylum

McBell

Admiral Obvious

President Biden is expected to sign an executive order on Tuesday allowing him to temporarily seal the U.S. border with Mexico to migrants when crossings surge, a move that would suspend longtime protections for asylum seekers in the United States.​
Mr. Biden’s senior aides have briefed members of Congress in recent days on the forthcoming action and told them to expect the president to sign the order alongside mayors from South Texas, according to several people familiar with the plans.​
...​
The order would represent the single most restrictive border policy instituted by Mr. Biden, or any modern Democrat, and echoes a 2018 effort by President Donald J. Trump to block migration that was assailed by Democrats and blocked by federal courts.​
Although the executive action is almost certain to face legal challenges, Mr. Biden is under intense political pressure to address illegal migration, a top concern of voters ahead of the presidential election this year.​
Wonder what the legal challenges will be.
More interesting will be from whom said challenges will come.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think it's a good idea to limit the number coming in. The government should set up a court that can quickly review cases and give a thumbs up or down to asylum. And start a program for temp workers. The courts are so overwhelmed that there's no chance of catching up any time soon.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think it's a good idea to limit the number coming in. The government should set up a court that can quickly review cases and give a thumbs up or down to asylum. And start a program for temp workers. The courts are so overwhelmed that there's no chance of catching up any time soon.
It takes money to set up such courts and the Republicans are cutting off their noses to spite their face so that they can openly lie about how Biden has not done anything about the border. As legal challenges this will violate both US and international law that we agreed to. I am certain that those supporting asylees and some actual asylees will start the suits.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It takes money to set up such courts and the Republicans are cutting off their noses to spite their face so that they can openly lie about how Biden has not done anything about the border. As legal challenges this will violate both US and international law that we agreed to. I am certain that those supporting asylees and some actual asylees will start the suits.
And when independent voters find out about the interferance of republicans? At some point they will tire of republicans complaining over and over, yet doing nothing except interfere with solutions.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
And when independent voters find out about the interferance of republicans? At some point they will tire of republicans complaining over and over, yet doing nothing except interfere with solutions.
They had the opportunity, but wannabee dictator told his MAGA mental midgets to not vote of it as Biden would get the credit.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
My sister-in-law is from the Philippines.
She too was married BEFORE filing the paperwork to my brother.
It also took her nearly ten years to become a US citizen.

And I hate to think of the cost. Not to mention the freaking trouble.

We Never Know

No Slack

I don't mind people coming here. But use the front door and do it legally instead of sneaking in through the back yard.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I don't mind people coming here. But use the front door and do it legally instead of sneaking in through the back yard.
Not all migrants can get to a checkpoint. There are hundreds st a time crossing the river and surrendering to border patrol and asking for asylum.

We Never Know

No Slack
Not all migrants can get to a checkpoint. There are hundreds st a time crossing the river and surrendering to border patrol and asking for asylum.
There ya go! If there are so many crossing that seeking asylum can't even be done right at a checkpoint, we have a border crisis.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If they can travel through multiple countries, they certainly can find a proper checkpoint.

President Biden is expected to sign an executive order on Tuesday allowing him to temporarily seal the U.S. border with Mexico to migrants when crossings surge, a move that would suspend longtime protections for asylum seekers in the United States.​
Mr. Biden’s senior aides have briefed members of Congress in recent days on the forthcoming action and told them to expect the president to sign the order alongside mayors from South Texas, according to several people familiar with the plans.​
...​
The order would represent the single most restrictive border policy instituted by Mr. Biden, or any modern Democrat, and echoes a 2018 effort by President Donald J. Trump to block migration that was assailed by Democrats and blocked by federal courts.​
Although the executive action is almost certain to face legal challenges, Mr. Biden is under intense political pressure to address illegal migration, a top concern of voters ahead of the presidential election this year.​
Wonder what the legal challenges will be.
More interesting will be from whom said challenges will come.

Let’s see who cheers about this.

Who is being appeased, here?

We Never Know

No Slack