• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden: "There's Going to Be Some Consequences" for Saudi Arabia

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for the move:

Biden told Tapper he believed it was time to “rethink” the US relationship with Saudi Arabia after the kingdom partnered with Russia to cut oil production, a rebuke after intensive White House efforts to prevent such a decision.

“I am in the process, when the House and Senate gets back, they’re going to have to – there’s going to be some consequences for what they’ve done with Russia,” Biden said.

The decision by the Saudi-led OPEC+ oil cartel to cut production last week prompted anger at the White House, where officials said Biden was personally disappointed by what they called a “shortsighted” decision.

Biden says Putin 'totally miscalculated' by invading Ukraine but is a 'rational actor' | CNN Politics

He met the murderous leader of a country with an atrocious human rights record, but the "consequences" apparently required a cut in oil production that should, first and foremost, be Saudi Arabia's rather than Biden's call to make.

This mentality that other sovereign countries should bow down to American interests is as outdated as it is arrogant. It should come as no surprise that an increasing number of developing and third-world countries are aligning themselves with China instead of the US.

At least he has realized that the relationship of the US with Saudi Arabia is overdue for reconsideration. Perhaps the US will no longer keep propping up the disgracefully tyrannical and brutal House of Saud just to maintain American benefits from Saudi oil.

amorphous_constellation

At least he has realized that the relationship of the US with Saudi Arabia is overdue for reconsideration. Perhaps the US will no longer keep propping up the disgracefully tyrannical and brutal House of Saud just to maintain American benefits from Saudi oil.

I guess I only wonder what spurred this change on, since I wouldn't know where to start debating it. In terms of ideological values, are their some values shared between the house of saud, and putin-led russia? As opposed to between the house of saud, and our liberal democracy (albeit faltering) that we have here in america? Also I figure the shipping is shorter, and probably cheaper

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
This mentality that other sovereign countries should bow down to American interests is as outdated as it is arrogant. It should come as no surprise that an increasing number of developing and third-world countries are aligning themselves with China instead of the US.
It's complicated.
Opec is not a "kosher" cartel.

However, it is a little hypocritical to complain about the price of fossil fuels, and complain about climate-change all in the same breath. :)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for te move:

Biden says Putin 'totally miscalculated' by invading Ukraine but is a 'rational actor' | CNN Politics

He met the murderous leader of a country with an atrocious human rights record, but the "consequences" apparently required a cut in oil production that should, first and foremost, be Saudi Arabia's rather than Biden's call to make.

YUP! And we should pump more oil here in the US so that we won't be manipulated by Saudi oil!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
YUP! And we should pump more oil here in the US so that we won't be manipulated by Saudi oil!

While also aggressively working to decrease our reliance on fossil fuels and energy demands. Like it or not, they are a finite resource with grave health impacts for humans and the environment.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Absolutely...

And we have 200 years to get optimal environmentally friendly energy feasible.

The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil
We have about 30 years to completely remove fossil fuel based energy sources to stall far more catastrophic climate change disasters. The idea that we can burn oil for 200 years and still have a civilization left is fantasy.

Kenny

Premium Member
We have about 30 years to completely remove fossil fuel based energy sources to stall far more catastrophic climate change disasters. The idea that we can burn oil for 200 years and still have a civilization left is fantasy.
I'm just saying that to push electric cars that have batteries that are environmentally detrimental, solar energy that have panels that we can't dispose of, and wind energy that kills millions of birds...

Let's use our brains first and push innovation but use natural gas (a great option) and pump oil in the meantime.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just saying that to push electric cars that have batteries that are environmentally detrimental, solar energy that have panels that we can't dispose of, and wind energy that kills millions of birds...

Let's use our brains first and push innovation but use natural gas (a great option) and pump oil in the meantime.
The environmental damage caused by drilling, refining and burning of petrol and coal is orders of magnitude greater than anything associated with batteries, solar cells and wind turbines. The claims you are making is coming from ignorance of the actual situation. Indeed even to compare the two cases is so absurd that it is laughable. Its like comparing polio with a muscle cramp frankly.

Kenny

Premium Member
The environmental damage caused by drilling, refining and burning of petrol and coal is orders of magnitude greater than anything associated with batteries, solar cells and wind turbines. The claims you are making is coming from ignorance of the actual situation. Indeed even to compare the two cases is so absurd that it is laughable. Its like comparing polio with a muscle cramp frankly.
I disagree...

I think if we are going to do something... let's do it right. Your insensitivity for all the birds and the impact that has, what all the production of batteries and its effects in landfills et al runs crossgrain to what you are saying.

You are opposing yourself.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree...

I think if we are going to do something... let's do it right. Your insensitivity for all the birds and the impact that has, what all the production of batteries and its effects in landfills et al runs crossgrain to what you are saying.

Your insensitivity to the fact that our planet is demonstrably warming due to GHGs from fossil fuels and that is going to have catastrophic effects on the environment (and is already starting to) if we don't completely change course in the next couple of decades is telling.

So indeed, let's do it right Ken. Stop promoting strategies that are by far the greater long term threat to the environment. Instead of promoting oil and gas, promote ways to make green energy better. Doesn't that make all the sense in the world?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for the move:

Generally, at least when presenting world issues to the US public, American politicians act as if they're doing what they do as the "leader of the free world," acting in the name of freedom and "making the world safe for democracy." Of course, it does come across as rather convoluted when looking at the historical relationship between the US and Saudi Arabia.

In practice, any regime considered to be anti-communist was regarded as part of the "free world" in the eyes of US propagandists and policymakers, which is how we ended up in bed with regimes like Saudi Arabia, or the Shah of Iran, or any number of other tyrannical, despotic, brutal regimes throughout the world.

Typically, it's presented to the masses in such a way as to make it look like our government is not really doing it for ourselves, not for American interests directly, but doing it for the sake of other nations which are considered friends and allies. Oftentimes our government has spoken of "hearts and minds," as if we were in some kind of ideological war or conflict over opposing philosophies. That doesn't imply any overtly nationalistic struggle, but something closer to a religious war.

This is where it presents a problem internally in the U.S., since our government has bent over backwards to try to present itself as some kind of selfless paragon of virtue, infinitely compassionate, generous, and benevolent, who only want a free and democratic world with free trade and a global economy. A lot of people actually believe this and believe that our government is "too nice" to the rest of the world while neglecting the needs of the people at home.

In other words, there may very well be a certain mentality that sovereign nations should bow down to someone's interests, but are they really American interests? If any of what our government and military have been doing these past 30-40 years had any real "benefit" to American interests or the American people, you wouldn't really know it from taking a long hard look at America and just how much things have deteriorated during that same period.

As for Saudi Arabia, I never really could understand some things about our relationship with that country. But both parties seem to be on board with the status quo as it has been established, and even the media seem rather wishy-washy about the issue of our relationship with Saudi Arabia and how that nation is generally viewed in terms of Western security perceptions.

Kenny

Premium Member
Your insensitivity to the fact that our planet is demonstrably warming due to GHGs from fossil fuels and that is going to have catastrophic effects on the environment (and is already starting to) if we don't completely change course in the next couple of decades is telling.

So indeed, let's do it right Ken. Stop promoting strategies that are by far the greater long term threat to the environment. Instead of promoting oil and gas, promote ways to make green energy better. Doesn't that make all the sense in the world?

and my understanding is that nuclear has the MOST benefit with the least environmental consequences.

Let's not rush and make more of a problem in an attempt to do something good:

And kill animals and ruin our environment.

pearl

Wasn't it the Trump dynasty that kissed up to the Saudis, refusing to acknowledge the possibility of the 'Prince's part in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi?

U.S. officials released an intelligence assessment on Friday saying Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was responsible for the horrifying murder and dismemberment of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 ― foiling a yearslong effort by the kingdom, the Trump administration and global power players to dodge accountability for one of the biggest international scandals in recent memory.
U.S. Finally Admits It: Saudi Crown Prince Responsible For Jamal Khashoggi's Murder | HuffPost Latest News
I think Biden miscalculated badly, hoping for political gain, what he got in return was inflating Muhammad bin Salman's ego.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Yes, the key will be the pace at which the industrialised world can reduce its dependence on fossil fuel. Saudi Arabia haas only a short window of opportunity to make money and get what they want geopolitically. And I think MbS is fully aware of that.

I see this casting around for other allies than the USA as the shape of things to come, as fossil fuel declines in importance.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree...

Let me explain it clearly. A shift from fossil fuel to renewable energy technology will reduce the extent of environmental, societal and wildlife related damage caused by energy technologies by over 90%. Please see below the extensive list of environmental impact assessments done that clearly and unambiguously show how wind/solar electricity along with battery electric vehicles generate orders of magnitude less wildlife damage, wildlife mortality, human deaths, environmental damage, decreased CO2 emissions than any of the fossil fuel based electricity and transportation options.
Review of solutions to global warming, air pollution, and energy security - Energy & Environmental Science (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/B809990C
And just so everyone knows, a coal power plant kills ten times as many birds per unit of energy generated than a wind farm.
Redirecting

F1fan

Veteran Member
Absolutely...

And we have 200 years to get optimal environmentally friendly energy feasible.

The US Is Sitting On A 200-Year Supply Of Oil
We need to drive less. Our cities are designed for cars, so we have ourselves to blame for being dependent on fuel. lus the USA has only si much refinery caacity. We can only refine so much oil into gas. The more we use the higher the prices go, basic supply and demand.

I see many more big muscle cars on the roads, Dodge Charger, new Mustange models, Corvettes, etc. More big trucks being sold. Small electric cars could be a solution. We need to redesign roads so that bikes are a safer option. Look at how much gas prices fell during the pandemic, we drove less.

As it is the higher prices is the free market at work. Conservatives often defend free markets doing their thing, but then complain when prices rise. Well we can't have it both ways.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Wasn't it the Trump dynasty that kissed up to the Saudis, refusing to acknowledge the possibility of the 'Prince's part in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi?

U.S. officials released an intelligence assessment on Friday saying Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was responsible for the horrifying murder and dismemberment of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018 ― foiling a yearslong effort by the kingdom, the Trump administration and global power players to dodge accountability for one of the biggest international scandals in recent memory.
U.S. Finally Admits It: Saudi Crown Prince Responsible For Jamal Khashoggi's Murder | HuffPost Latest News
I think Biden miscalculated badly, hoping for political gain, what he got in return was inflating Muhammad bin Salman's ego.
I see Saudi Arabia as being a future threat to global seculrity as fossil fuels become less in demand. They will have less revenue and less influence. Very dangerous for leaders who are arrogant like MbS. Let's not forget the 9-11 hijackers were Saudis.

Other Arab states are moving towards diversity in business, like Dubai, who host Formula 1 races. They have moved to become a resort destination and can survive on that sort of trade. I don't see Saudi Arabia moving in a similar way.

Shaul

Premium Member
I saw this same opinion written fifty years ago. :cool: The air is better today than fifty years ago.

Shaul

Premium Member
We need to drive less. Our cities are designed for cars, so we have ourselves to blame for being dependent on fuel. lus the USA has only si much refinery caacity. We can only refine so much oil into gas. The more we use the higher the prices go, basic supply and demand.

I see many more big muscle cars on the roads, Dodge Charger, new Mustange models, Corvettes, etc. More big trucks being sold. Small electric cars could be a solution. We need to redesign roads so that bikes are a safer option. Look at how much gas prices fell during the pandemic, we drove less.

As it is the higher prices is the free market at work. Conservatives often defend free markets doing their thing, but then complain when prices rise. Well we can't have it both ways.
Vehicle emissions are not the greatest polluters. Why will you start talking about the coal fired electricity plants in China?