• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden: "There's Going to Be Some Consequences" for Saudi Arabia

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You mean, you and I are.
Have you no children or grandchildren?
Don't you care about them?

Oh, no. Of course, I forgot.
"Science" is your god.
Despite the fact, the use of scientific knowledge has got us into this climate-crisis, you think it can get us out of it.

The chance would be a fine thing.
Mankind is violent in his love of wealth.
If we don't die due to harsher climate, the bombs will do it. :(
Actually the universe is essentially my 'god' a force based on dynamics actually.. I just don't attribute any human quality to it because we are clearly not the center by which the universe is thought to be there for the purpose of revolving around humankind.

Anyways for the latter , i usually figure people by nature tend not to do anything unless something isdirectly affecting themselves prompting actions.

Personally I feel most are simply not that alarmed yet in spite of the pronouncements and panic banter by those who feel they are alarmed for one reason or another.

So far it's the boy crying wolf with no wolf presenting itself as a real danger.

Rest assured, if the danger does become real enough, one would have no shortage of advocates leading to action.

Twilight Hue

Exactly. They did something to stop it rather than just shrugging and saying "Well, civilization will survive, so whatever".
I guess it all depends on triage.

Some things are just higher on the list of prioritys than others.

I'll just leave that for the brains in charge to decide.

Twilight Hue

I find your indifference to a future Dark Age with millions of deaths due to climate induced disasters and social unrest.... unsettling.
No. Indifference isn't actually a monster nor a saint. It's why I adopted twilight as part of my avatars name.

I just accept nature for what it is, of which we all play our part involving the natural cycle of life and death.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..i usually figure people by nature tend not to do anything unless something isdirectly affecting themselves prompting actions..
Do you promote such an attitude of selfishness?

So far it's the boy crying wolf with no wolf presenting itself as a real danger.
Demonstrably false.
I might not agree with the majority when it comes to solutions, but ignoring the vast majority of scientists who are warning of its seriousness, along with evidence is very telling.
i.e. you'd rather carry on with your privileged life

Twilight Hue

Do you promote such an attitude of selfishness?

Demonstrably false.
I might not agree with the majority when it comes to solutions, but ignoring the vast majority of scientists who are warning of its seriousness, along with evidence is very telling.
i.e. you'd rather carry on with your privileged life
I just live with the way nature works of which we all are a part of. I don't promote nor digress on matters in general anymore, and oftentimes cycle my views and actions as conditions and circumstances allow.

While I find the scientific community a valuable 'canary' in the mines, the fact is, there are still ongoing debates and not any full consensus as of yet. So people are going to react accordingly with the information.

It's a wait and see issue for myself.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
While I find the scientific community a valuable 'canary' in the mines, the fact is, there are still ongoing debates and not any full consensus as of yet..
That is not what I see.
There are not many scientists in the world who think that climate-change isn't a serious issue, and most govts. are taking notice.

Twilight Hue

That is not what I see.
There are not many scientists in the world who think that climate-change isn't a serious issue, and most govts. are taking notice.
Well that's good. Now is the matter of convincing the public with actual facts and not theoretical models.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I don’t think we have 200 years to address the global climate crisis.

And by we, I mean humanity.
I agree... what I was saying was there is a 200 years supply so if we don't have all the answers in 15 years, we can still make it happen.

We don't have to put humanity's need on hold with exorbitant taxes and prices to fix the problem.

RestlessSoul

I agree... what I was saying was there is a 200 years supply so if we don't have all the answers in 15 years, we can still make it happen.

We don't have to put humanity's need on hold with exorbitant taxes and prices to fix the problem.

From a global perspective, most of the world seems to be - however belatedly - waking up to the problem, and trying to ween itself off it's addiction to oil. For complex reasons of their own, the USA and China are the exceptions. Unfortunately, that's the world's two biggest economies right there.

Ponder This

In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for the move:

Biden says Putin 'totally miscalculated' by invading Ukraine but is a 'rational actor' | CNN Politics

He met the murderous leader of a country with an atrocious human rights record, but the "consequences" apparently required a cut in oil production that should, first and foremost, be Saudi Arabia's rather than Biden's call to make.

This mentality that other sovereign countries should bow down to American interests is as outdated as it is arrogant. It should come as no surprise that an increasing number of developing and third-world countries are aligning themselves with China instead of the US.

At least he has realized that the relationship of the US with Saudi Arabia is overdue for reconsideration. Perhaps the US will no longer keep propping up the disgracefully tyrannical and brutal House of Saud just to maintain American benefits from Saudi oil.

The U.S. gets what they elect. It's not surprising that Biden thinks his threats against other countries are appropriate because he openly bragged about that sort of behavior during his election campaign. During his campaign for President, Biden bragged that while he was Vice President under Obama, he coerced Ukraine into removing one of its duly appointed officials. For Biden, making a veiled threat against Saudi Arabia if they don't produce more oil is normal.

As for how Saudi Arabia increasing production of oil for the U.S. fits into Biden's Green Energy solution for the planet... it's just another example of Biden Building Backwards. It doesn't fit into a Green Energy solution for the planet.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As for how Saudi Arabia increasing production of oil for the U.S. fits into Biden's Green Energy solution for the planet... it's just another example of Biden Building Backwards. It doesn't fit into a Green Energy solution for the planet.
He said that this move was borne out of necessity because of the current situation, so it would have made 0 sense if he stuck with the original plan at this time.