• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biden: "There's Going to Be Some Consequences" for Saudi Arabia

Shaul

Premium Member
In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for the move:

Biden says Putin 'totally miscalculated' by invading Ukraine but is a 'rational actor' | CNN Politics

He met the murderous leader of a country with an atrocious human rights record, but the "consequences" apparently required a cut in oil production that should, first and foremost, be Saudi Arabia's rather than Biden's call to make.

This mentality that other sovereign countries should bow down to American interests is as outdated as it is arrogant. It should come as no surprise that an increasing number of developing and third-world countries are aligning themselves with China instead of the US.

At least he has realized that the relationship of the US with Saudi Arabia is overdue for reconsideration. Perhaps the US will no longer keep propping up the disgracefully tyrannical and brutal House of Saud just to maintain American benefits from Saudi oil.
Well, this assumes Biden is promoting American interests and not his own agenda.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
and my understanding is that nuclear has the MOST benefit with the least environmental consequences.

Let's not rush and make more of a problem in an attempt to do something good:

And kill animals and ruin our environment.

If you're worried about killing animals, the first thing you could do is stop eating them. But we're veering off topic.

Nuclear is fine, till it isn't. If we moved to renewables with some nuclear I'd be far happier than I am now with our energy infrastructure.

pearl

don't see Saudi Arabia moving in a similar way.

Probably not, but who knows besides them approximately how long their oil will last. Someone suggested there are other places to purchase oil from, even going back to Venezuela, though that doesn't sound very promising.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I saw this same opinion written fifty years ago. :cool: The air is better today than fifty years ago.
CO2 is not a pollutant. It is a greenhouse gas. Hope you understand the difference? Pollutants affect health. Greenhouse gases heat up the earth and makes climate extremes more frequent and powerful.
Regarding air pollution, what you can see or smell is not necessary all that is there. 9 million people died due to air pollution in 2019 alone, 80% of this pollution is due to fossil based energy technology.
LINK

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
Absolutely...

And we have 200 years to get optimal environmentally friendly energy feasible.
What? Are you crazy?
Don't you realise we haven't got that much time to play with?

When people start dying in larger and larger numbers due to climate-change [i.e. the poor], will you then take it seriously?
If not, I can imagine a world that becomes more and more full of hate. :(

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's complicated.
Opec is not a "kosher" cartel.

However, it is a little hypocritical to complain about the price of fossil fuels, and complain about climate-change all in the same breath. :)

I don't see it as hypocritical if it is combined with efforts to transition to renewable energy. It is simply a reality that we still heavily rely on fossil fuels, and even the most ardent supporters of renewable energy can't make this reliance on fossil fuels go away overnight.

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
I don't see it as hypocritical if it is combined with efforts to transition to renewable energy. It is simply a reality that we still heavily rely on fossil fuels, and even the most ardent supporters of renewable energy can't make this reliance on fossil fuels go away overnight.
Of course, there are practical considerations, yes.
I did say that OPEC hasn't got the moral high ground.
Nevertheless, nobody complains when the price goes down..

If the large producers pump to satisfy ever increasing demand, is that in the interest of the environment? No !

Those with the greatest per-capita use, are the ones who need to show they are serious about the issue.
..and that certainly includes the US.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In a recent interview with CNN, Biden commented on Saudi Arabia's cut in oil production and said there would be "consequences" for the move:

Biden says Putin 'totally miscalculated' by invading Ukraine but is a 'rational actor' | CNN Politics

He met the murderous leader of a country with an atrocious human rights record, but the "consequences" apparently required a cut in oil production that should, first and foremost, be Saudi Arabia's rather than Biden's call to make.

This mentality that other sovereign countries should bow down to American interests is as outdated as it is arrogant. It should come as no surprise that an increasing number of developing and third-world countries are aligning themselves with China instead of the US.

At least he has realized that the relationship of the US with Saudi Arabia is overdue for reconsideration. Perhaps the US will no longer keep propping up the disgracefully tyrannical and brutal House of Saud just to maintain American benefits from Saudi oil.

IMO, the US should be more independent with our energy needs.

I also don't like the US meddling in the affairs of other countries. Cooperation sure but not propping up a foreign governments to support US federal interests.
So Saudi Arabia doesn't play ball with the US and Biden threatens them. :worried:
I'm sure the US is going to do something really, really bad that hurts their feelings. :eek:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Wouldn't that be nice.

F1fan

Veteran Member
IMO, the US should be more independent with our energy needs.

I also don't like the US meddling in the affairs of other countries. Cooperation sure but not propping up a foreign governments to support US federal interests.
So Saudi Arabia doesn't play ball with the US and Biden threatens them. :worried:
I'm sure the US is going to do something really, really bad that hurts their feelings. :eek:
You are over simplifying this. Saudi Arabia was asked to increase production to help global inflation. Not only did they refuse, they are lowering production. This is also to help Russia who will profit from higher oil prices. And the USA has long supplied them with military equipment and maintenance, so if they are now working with Russia, well, why would we just look the other way?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Let me explain it clearly. A shift from fossil fuel to renewable energy technology will reduce the extent of environmental, societal and wildlife related damage caused by energy technologies by over 90%. Please see below the extensive list of environmental impact assessments done that clearly and unambiguously show how wind/solar electricity along with battery electric vehicles generate orders of magnitude less wildlife damage, wildlife mortality, human deaths, environmental damage, decreased CO2 emissions than any of the fossil fuel based electricity and transportation options.
Review of solutions to global warming, air pollution, and energy security - Energy & Environmental Science (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/B809990C
And just so everyone knows, a coal power plant kills ten times as many birds per unit of energy generated than a wind farm.
Redirecting
You obviously didn't watch the science in the video.

I prefer following science that just talking points.

Kenny

Premium Member
We need to drive less. Our cities are designed for cars, so we have ourselves to blame for being dependent on fuel. lus the USA has only si much refinery caacity. We can only refine so much oil into gas. The more we use the higher the prices go, basic supply and demand.

I see many more big muscle cars on the roads, Dodge Charger, new Mustange models, Corvettes, etc. More big trucks being sold. Small electric cars could be a solution. We need to redesign roads so that bikes are a safer option. Look at how much gas prices fell during the pandemic, we drove less.

As it is the higher prices is the free market at work. Conservatives often defend free markets doing their thing, but then complain when prices rise. Well we can't have it both ways.
Yes... that is the difference between totalitarianism and freedom.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You obviously didn't watch the science in the video.

I prefer actual science.
One that is published with actual data and research in peer reviewed publications.
Like the ones I linked.

Kenny

Premium Member
I prefer actual science.
One that is published with actual data and research in peer reviewed publications.
Like the ones I linked.

Yes... pull your eyelids over your eyes... you are getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy, sleepy, sleepy, sleepy..........

You don't want to watch the video, it is illogical, it is too taxing to your brain..

When I snap my fingers you will wake up, you will not remember what I said buy you will not want to watch the video and discuss it.

SNAP!

Would you like to discuss the points on the video?

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member
..and "the science" shows that we need to use less fossil fuels.
Does that mean that we need to replace it with renewable energy?
Not necessarily..

We all need to use a certain amount of energy, but many people use a lot.
It is more about lifestyle than anything else.

Kenny

Premium Member
..and "the science" shows that we need to use less fossil fuels.
Does that mean that we need to replace it with renewable energy?
Not necessarily..

We all need to use a certain amount of energy, but many people use a lot.
It is more about lifestyle than anything else.
Atomic energy is the best way to go.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You are over simplifying this. Saudi Arabia was asked to increase production to help global inflation. Not only did they refuse, they are lowering production. This is also to help Russia who will profit from higher oil prices. And the USA has long supplied them with military equipment and maintenance, so if they are now working with Russia, well, why would we just look the other way?

The US is not God's gift to the world.
The US acts from its own interests. Why wouldn't we expect other countries to act from theirs?

Shaul

Premium Member
CO2 is not a pollutant. It is a greenhouse gas. Hope you understand the difference? Pollutants affect health. Greenhouse gases heat up the earth and makes climate extremes more frequent and powerful.
Regarding air pollution, what you can see or smell is not necessary all that is there. 9 million people died due to air pollution in 2019 alone, 80% of this pollution is due to fossil based energy technology.
LINK
Funny, the EPA was claiming C02 was a pollutant until the Supreme Court ruled against them. Which was the position of the Trump Administration. Hey, look, you agree with Trump!