• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Lives Matter Group Told Meeting Must Include Anyone

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think your view of the pervasive view is mistaken. Perhaps you should start a poll to see which of us is out of touch with reality.
Well, I think you are mistaken.
There! Take that!
Anyway, "pervasive" isn't quantitative, so I don't claim to be right.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Why is that supposedly "racist"? Yes, blacks can be racist because us whites don't have a monopoly on it, but I don't see the general movement of BLM as being "racist". Quite the reverse since the movement started up to fight racism.
You mean like its supporters attacking white people? Hmm...

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You mean like its supporters attacking white people? Hmm...
I wouldn't suggest condemning the movement because the actions of a few. I have heard some of the spokespeople for the movement speak, and not only do they make it clear that they do not condemn all police or all whites, but that they have also have welcomed whites in their protests. If you watched any of these protests, whites were definitely within the ones that at least I saw.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, by suggesting that it is spread or spreading throughout the liberal population you meant such in an unquantifiable way?
I didn't intend "spreading"....just pervasive in that it's "spread".
(I see that some dictionaries differ from Dictionary.com.)
I'd even say it's slowly going away.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didn't intend "spreading"....just pervasive in that it's "spread".
(I see that some dictionaries differ from Dictionary.com.)
I'd even say it's slowly going away.
And here I thought I'd covered that with spread or spreading. I can't say that I am not familiar with the concept. The idea behind it is that the minority group cannot be whatever -ist because they as a group lack the power to oppress the other group as a whole. It is a very small number that I have seen with this view, but that it exists at all to an extent wherein one encounters it from people in different walks of life could be indicative of "spread throughout...sort of the same way 100 pennies could be "spread throughout" a million quarters. But, I think this view is trying to explain something more complex and misinterpreting the term racist...But that's just my opinion.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And here I thought I'd covered that with spread or spreading. I can't say that I am not familiar with the concept. The idea behind it is that the minority group cannot be whatever -ist because they as a group lack the power to oppress the other group as a whole. It is a very small number that I have seen with this view, but that it exists at all to an extent wherein one encounters it from people in different walks of life could be indicative of "spread throughout...sort of the same way 100 pennies could be "spread throughout" a million quarters. But, I think this view is trying to explain something more complex and misinterpreting the term racist...But that's just my opinion.
People who believe strictly that blacks cannot be racist....I don't know how many it would be.
But there are dilutions of this, eg, those who are reluctant to criticize black folk who want
some degree of separatism, & would say they shouldn't be out of hand called "racist".
But this caution wouldn't apply to white groups who want to exclude others.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
People who believe strictly that blacks cannot be racist....I don't know how many it would be.
Based almost entirely on my years in the local NAACP, including two on the board, I think that racism is very strong among black people and lots of people think that black people can't be racist.

Perhaps I will start a thread about my trip from gut level racist to the board of the NAACP and on to pragmatic egalitarian.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
and we know this specific group didn't want whites at their meeting
And that is about all we know. We don't know why they they have this policy.
and didn't feel they had to include whites at their meeting in a publicly owned space.
We don't even know if they were aware of the laws. It may just be it was a convenient location for them. All we do know is they were inconsiderate of the purposes and functions of a library - something we can reasonably assume because a library just is not a suitable place for group who is going to be talking and making to have their meetings, regardless of who they allow to attend (but even this is assuming that library is more like the ones here, in which there are no places for such a group to meet without being disruptive to library patrons).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Based almost entirely on my years in the local NAACP, including two on the board, I think that racism is very strong among black people and lots of people think that black people can't be racist.

Perhaps I will start a thread about my trip from gut level racist to the board of the NAACP and on to pragmatic egalitarian.
Tom
Perhaps?
I hereby order it!

metis

Tom
I used to work and an all black Boys Club in Kalamazoo, Mi., and I agree that you will find it with many, but not all or even most in my experience. Same when I worked in the factories near and in Detroit. I never had a problem because, for every racist that was black, many more were friendly.

It's truly a shame that we even have to talk about this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I used to work and an all black Boys Club in Kalamazoo, Mi., and I agree that you will find it with many, but not all or even most in my experience. Same when I worked in the factories near and in Detroit. I never had a problem because, for every racist that was black, many more were friendly.
Don't be so quick to presume that being racist & friendly are mutually exclusive.
I've had a few racist black (friendly) acquaintances.
What's the trick to getting along?
People love to elaborate upon their views.
So let them.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I wouldn't suggest condemning the movement because the actions of a few. I have heard some of the spokespeople for the movement speak, and not only do they make it clear that they do not condemn all police or all whites, but that they have also have welcomed whites in their protests. If you watched any of these protests, whites were definitely within the ones that at least I saw.
And yet there are several instances where they have clearly segregated themselves off from white people. I've seen several of their 'protests' and many of them were what I expected them to be.

metis

And yet there are several instances where they have clearly segregated themselves off from white people. I've seen several of their 'protests' and many of them were what I expected them to be.
So? How does that change anything I have posted? BTW, can you remember which instances they were, because I never saw one as you say, and I'm pretty much a new's freak?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

It's truly a shame that we even have to talk about this.
Racism is not a black and white issue. (takes bow for the pun).
People are more or less racist, under different circumstances, while addressing different audiences, etc. etc.
"Categorization" is built in to us. Perhaps by evolution, maybe God, maybe something else. We use the information we have to get along, and reproduce our genes. Because that is what we are designed to do.
Morality is learning that we can do better. Pragmatism is learning that we generally won't.
Tom

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
So? How does that change anything I have posted? BTW, can you remember which instances they were, because I never saw one as you say, and I'm pretty much a new's freak?
If they were a 'non-racist' organisation or movement, they would, as a whole, condemn these instances, but they don't. Just google 'black lives matter riots'.

metis

Racism is not a black and white issue. (takes bow for the pun).
People are more or less racist, under different circumstances, while addressing different audiences, etc. etc.
"Categorization" is built in to us. Perhaps by evolution, maybe God, maybe something else. We use the information we have to get along, and reproduce our genes. Because that is what we are designed to do.
Morality is learning that we can do better. Pragmatism is learning that we generally won't.
Tom
Yes, and I do agree with this. To deny racism exists is actually racist.

Last edited:

metis

If they were a 'non-racist' organisation or movement, they would, as a whole, condemn these instances, but they don't. Just google 'black lives matter riots'.
I noticed that you didn't answer my last question.

As far as above, please link me to your source(s) that you've used.

metis

Because it shows their true colours. I'm not going to hold your hand through all of this.
Well, since you refused to answer my question, and then you have refused to provide any link, I think any claim by you to any validity is now shot. And I think your claims that you can't and won't even try to substantiate does say a lot about you.