• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black man harrassed by white neighbors for fishing in his own neighborhood.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

Shaul

Premium Member
Despite the fact that white residents weren't constantly harassed in the same manner?
I guess my pun escaped you. :rolleyes:
I don't accept at face value that white residents were not "constantly" harassed in a similar manner. There are alternate explanations that don't require a racial component.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I guess my pun escaped you. :rolleyes:
I guess It did, but it was easy to overlook due to how most conservatives' kneejerk reaction toward racism is to downplay it and sweep it under the rug.
I don't accept at face value that white residents were not "constantly" harassed in a similar manner. There are alternate explanations that don't require a racial component.
Of course you would be skeptical despite the damning evidence, solely due to having gone all in on some goofy political narrative.

Shaul

Premium Member
I guess It did, but it was easy to overlook due to how most conservatives' kneejerk reaction toward racism is to downplay it and sweep it under the rug.

Of course you would be skeptical despite the damning evidence, solely due to having gone all in on some goofy political narrative.
Or, more likely, it is that I am being quite reasonable and that you are biased assuming things are about race when they aren't.

Shaul

Premium Member
(sarcasm) Yeah, right, like the school of red herrings that we read about all the time (/sarcasm) Or do you also put anti-sematic acts as red herrings as well? If so, then you're being consistent.
Each case is judged on its own merits, unless you are biased, of course.

Shaul

Premium Member
Just this morning I was questioned while I was running on my street. An elderly woman, who was with her son and one of my neighbors, didn't recognize me and questioned "Where do you live?" implying I had no business being here. It must be racial, right? She wasn't questioning others. Maybe she is bigoted against Jews! Well actually, she knows me. She just didn't recognize me in my running kit and minus my glasses. We know each other well. As you can see, until you know the whole story don't jump to erroneous conclusions.

Shaul

Premium Member
You automatically expressed doubt without weighing any merits or evidence, as per your political modus operandi.
No, I didn't. Politics has nothing to do with it. I simply and correctly assume that most people are not racially motivated. You are projecting.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Just this morning I was questioned while I was running on my street. An elderly woman, who was with her son and one of my neighbors, didn't recognize me and questioned "Where do you live?" implying I had no business being here. It must be racial, right? She wasn't questioning others. Maybe she is bigoted against Jews! Well actually, she knows me. She just didn't recognize me in my running kit and minus my glasses. We know each other well. As you can see, until you know the whole story don't jump to erroneous conclusions.
But does it happen routinely to you, yet not to others?

Shaul

Premium Member
But does it happen routinely to you, yet not to others?
I cannot know whether this happens to others. Just as we can't know if others are asked about fishing in the pond in the story. Which makes my point. It is being argued without needed context.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

The president of the board of directors at Springwater Plantation (kind of ironic name for the community) suggested that it was a "misunderstanding."

After his confrontation with Petty went viral, Gibson said Thomas Drolet, president of Springwater Plantation’s board of directors, asked him to release another video saying the encounter had been a “misunderstanding.” The reason cited by Drolet, Gibson said, was that Petty needed her job back to pay her “big mortgage.”

“We live in the same neighborhood,” Gibson said. “I’m not going to help her get her job back. She still hasn’t apologized to me. I haven’t seen her since.”

Drolet denied asking Gibson to make a video labeling the situation a misunderstanding. But he did say that he asked Gibson to stop posting TikTok videos about it.

Drolet also mentioned that some areas of the lake were off-limits for fishing but that there has been some confusion on the matter.

While Drolet described Springwater Plantation as a “racially diversified community,” he admitted that an “element of racism in which we view other people” is present there. He also said the community views the incident as “an internal issue that we need to solve ourselves.”

That is a bit of a red flag, whenever anyone says this is "an internal matter" and insist they'll resolve it themselves. That's what they've said in the past in some of these states, particularly during the Civil Rights era. They would say "this is our issue to solve" and blame the "Yankee interlopers" for riling everyone up.