• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blaspheming The Holy Spirit!

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What use do Angels have for a body?

None, of course (if such a concept were to exist). Why would incorporeal being need one? And the idea that they have physical human forms, except with bird wings grafted on is rather ridiculous. That's some lazy, unimaginative Frankenstein work.

I don't see why a "lesser deity" can have one but a "Supreme being" doesn't. You are placing all kinds of abstracts on an abstract concept.

By "lesser deity" I essentially meant deified human characters who still have the flaws and limitations of the human psyche. They're the equivalent of comic book superheroes and nothing close to a supreme being.

Absolutely not. Children are given much leniency.
Exactly, so why would an infinite, omnimax being be bothered by the petty, silly, trivial, and ignorant shenanigans of some random primate species on some random planet?

(And for the record, the word "Youths" in 2 Kings regarding Elisha's bears is falsely rendered as "young children" when it should be "young adults" for grammatical reasons I'll be happy to get into, such as that it always references them as "children" with textual context when it's not referring to older ones).
Even if that were the case, it's still an excessive, sadistic, disproportionate response.

However, if I was the King of an Empire in Ancient Antiquity and some guy called me a "****-head", I'd be required by protocol to end him. To not do so would make me look weak and sniveling.
And torturing/executing someone for some minute, inconsequential offense would make you look primitive, barbaric, and tyrannical. In the modern, civilized world we consider such people to be corrupt and depraved dictators, and I would like to think that god would be better, not worse, than that.

Is that really what you desire for the heart and mind of existence itself to embody?

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
None, of course (if such a concept were to exist). Why would incorporeal being need one? And the idea that they have physical human forms, except with bird wings grafted on is rather ridiculous. That's some lazy, unimaginative Frankenstein work.

For self-glory? Maybe he likes having a human form.

By "lesser deity" I essentially meant deified human characters who still have the flaws and limitations of the human psyche. They're the equivalent of comic book superheroes and nothing close to a supreme being.

So what's the difference other than they have psychological flaws? Perhaps he's just a perfectly enlightened version of the same type?

Exactly, so why would an infinite, omnimax being be bothered by the petty, silly, trivial, and ignorant shenanigans of some random primate species on some random planet?

Because He made them. Why he made them is an age-long philosophical question.

Even if that were the case, it's still an excessive, sadistic, disproportionate response.

Not necessarily. Insulting a prophet would be like insulting the King's messenger. Examples have to be made.

And torturing/executing someone for some minute, inconsequential offense would make you look primitive, barbaric, and tyrannical. In the modern, civilized world we consider such people to be corrupt and depraved dictators, and I would like to think that god would be better, not worse, than that.

In the modern civilized world, they just don't do it as publicly. Vocal opponents of the regime get targeted in other ways. Such as being put on the IRS watchlist. Even in the early party of the 20th century this was still done in certain "Democratic" countries. If you insult the Queen in England to this day, even at a pub, you may get a bottle smashed on your head. The only reason the "Modern civilized world" does not condone it is because they don't have Monarchs and a sense of National Unity under them. Besides, "depraved dictators" get away with a whole lot as long as they are friendly to Western business interests.

Is that really what you desire for the heart and mind of existence itself to embody?
[/QUOTE]

Sure, why not? Because it's not fluffy rainbows?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
For self-glory? Maybe he likes having a human form.
So they just randomly take a lesser, limited form for the gratification of their own ego. And this makes sense how?

So what's the difference other than they have psychological flaws? Perhaps he's just a perfectly enlightened version of the same type?

You still don't get why the notion that an infinite, all-encompassion, all-pervasive, omnimax entity would have a physical form (of a random ape species no less) doesn't make much sense?

Because He made them. Why he made them is an age-long philosophical question.
If he made them, then he would have a thorough understanding of their actions and nature. Does god descend into a frothing rage and fantasize about torturing a monkey when it steals another monkey's banana?

Not necessarily. Insulting a prophet would be like insulting the King's messenger. Examples have to be made.
Again, it's just an example of the frailty of the human ego, and the depravity of human sadism, erroneously projected and attributed to the idea of god. The idea that god even has an ego, much less a vulnerable one, is quite silly.

In the modern civilized world, they just don't do it as publicly. Vocal opponents of the regime get targeted in other ways. Such as being put on the IRS watchlist. Even in the early party of the 20th century this was still done in certain "Democratic" countries. If you insult the Queen in England to this day, even at a pub, you may get a bottle smashed on your head. The only reason the "Modern civilized world" does not condone it is because they don't have Monarchs and a sense of National Unity under them. Besides, "depraved dictators" get away with a whole lot as long as they are friendly to Western business interests.

And I would be incorrect to hold god to a standard higher than the worst spectrum of humanity?

Sure, why not? Because it's not fluffy rainbows?

Not necessarily "fluffy rainbows", just not the lowest and most base of primate behavior.

Shermana

Heretic
So they just randomly take a lesser, limited form for the gratification of their own ego. And this makes sense how?

Who said its limited? As opposed to not having a form at all? What if they can shape-shift? What if they just like the human form?

You still don't get why the notion that an infinite, all-encompassion, all-pervasive, omnimax entity would have a physical form (of a random ape species no less) doesn't make much sense?

I still don't get why it doesn't make sense to you. What makes you think its a "Random ape species" and not a specifically designed form? In our Theology, it says man was made in their image. To deny the beauty and perfection of the Human form doesn't make sense. In fact, I'd say one would have to be blind to not see the godliness of the human form.

Do you not get that your statements are nothing short of subjective?

If he made them, then he would have a thorough understanding of their actions and nature. Does god descend into a frothing rage and fantasize about torturing a monkey when it steals another monkey's banana?

No, he knows the nature involves the ability to choose the right thing as well. He goes into a rage when they deliberately choose the wrong thing too often.

Again, it's just an example of the frailty of the human ego, and the depravity of human sadism, erroneously projected and attributed to the idea of god. The idea that god even has an ego, much less a vulnerable one, is quite silly.

What's quite silly is the idea that god doesn't have any attributes that are similar to humans and is nothing but some kind of abstract beyond our comprehension.

And I would be incorrect to hold god to a standard higher than the worst spectrum of humanity?

Depends on the context.

Not necessarily "fluffy rainbows", just not the lowest and most base of primate behavior.

If you choose to view it that way, it's your subjective opinion which you are entitled to. I don't see it as that.

Perhaps the difference is you lack the understanding of the concept of "honor".

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Who said its limited? As opposed to not having a form at all? What if they can shape-shift? What if they just like the human form?
What if they had a favorite flavor of ice cream. :rolleyes:

I still don't get why it doesn't make sense to you. What makes you think its a "Random ape species" and not a specifically designed form? In our Theology, it says man was made in their image. To deny the beauty and perfection of the Human form doesn't make sense. In fact, I'd say one would have to be blind to not see the godliness of the human form.

It could be said that one would have to be blind to not see the beauty, perfection, and godliness of the universe in its entirety. It's only man's own ego that place's man at the center of the universe.

Do you not get that your statements are nothing short of subjective?
There is nothing subjective about surmising that an entity of infinite intelligence would act intelligently.

No, he knows the nature involves the ability to choose the right thing as well. He goes into a rage when they deliberately choose the wrong thing too often.
Monkey god angrily swings through the clouds and flings poop when one monkey steals a banana from another monkey.

What's quite silly is the idea that god doesn't have any attributes that are similar to humans and is nothing but some kind of abstract beyond our comprehension.

Of course an infinite, omnimax entity is going to be abstract and beyond our comprehension.

Perhaps the difference is you lack the understanding of the concept of "honor".

Son, please. Of course I know what honor is. But yet again, it's something non-applicable and an another erroneous attempt to anthropomorphize an infinite, omni-max entity.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
What if they had a favorite flavor of ice cream. :rolleyes:

Maybe they do. Maybe they have sensory experience just like us.

It could be said that one would have to be blind to not see the beauty, perfection, and godliness of the universe in its entirety. It's only man's own ego that place's man at the center of the universe.

I never said we're at the Center. We're at A center. Not THE center.

There is nothing subjective about surmising that an entity of infinite intelligence would act intelligently.

He does act ingelligently. You just refuse to accept my idea of what intelligence constitutes while asserting your own. You are in many ways no different than religious fundamentalists with your particular bias of how deity works.
Monkey god angrily swings through the clouds and flings poop when one monkey steals a banana from another monkey.

So you have made it clear you have a problem with Cosmic Justice.

Of course an infinite, omnimax entity is going to be abstract and beyond our comprehension.

Says who?

Son, please. Of course I know what honor is. But yet again, it's something non-applicable and an another erroneous attempt to anthropomorphize an infinite, omni-max entity

Apparently you don't.

And apparently you think "honor" is just a Human construct.

So apparently that makes your idea of God honorless.

jetson

I have never held great store by this verse as I have never heard a convincing interpretation of its meaning.
If the trinity is to believed then there is no distinguishable difference between the nature of God, his son and the holy Spirit.
I find it hard to believe that a special punishment is reserved for blaspheming against the Holy Spirit that dose not equally apply to Jesus and God.

In its simplest form and meaning Matthew seems to have got this wrong.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is this: Remember when the leaders told Jesus Christ his work, he was doing was through the devil. That is your answer. Giving credit to the devil, the work and works of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ told them, you always do, blasphemy the Holy Spirit.