• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bloodsports/Hunting for fun

Are bloodsports wrong?/your beliefs

• You're religious/spiritual and believe it is wrong

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • You're religious/spiritual and believe it is okay

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • You're atheist or agnostic and believe it is wrong

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • You're atheist or agnostic and believe it is okay

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Ok. I would love to know what people think about this. I personally despise the idea of killing living things for sport. In the UK we have banned hunting with dogs. We still have bird-shoots though.

I just don't see how it can be a good thing to kill something because you want to.
I am not talking about vegetarianism - that's another argument.

Anyway here's the poll

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
jewscout said:
what if i hunt a deer and then grill it?

mmmmm deer jerky

For me, it depends if the hunting and killing gives you pleasure in itself.
That for me is dare I say it a human evil.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
frg001 said:

well i guess i'm just an evil dude then lol
the few times i've been hunting i've enjoyed myself

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hunting for food I can live with. My grandfather and father hunt for food, and actually EAT what they kill (my uncle is another matter...). If they were shooting deer or ducks and just throwing them away or leaving them to rot, it would be disgusting.

When I think of hunting for "sport" I think of the "hunting" excursion that seems to be popular among the rich and politicians: Raise a bunch of fowl in a pen so that they're stupid and don't know what to do when they encounter predators, put them in a field and let them wander around dumbly, then drive by with a vehicle to startle them and fire a pellet gun and kill several at once. Repeat until hundreds are dead.

Then again, if they can eat hundreds of ducks, good for them.

Ezzedean

Man, I was thinking bloodsport as something completely different. I thought you were talking about mma, and boxing and what not lol... As for what you're talking about, I am 100 percent against it. In the Quran it tells us only to kill an animal for food and survival, any other way is wrong.

Peace and Blessings
Ezzedean

Nehustan

jewscout said:
well i guess i'm just an evil dude then lol
the few times i've been hunting i've enjoyed myself

analyse yourself Jewscout did you

a.) enjoy the kill?

or

b.) enjoy the track and the shot?

(and I suppose c. did you and/or others eat the game?)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Nehustan said:
analyse yourself Jewscout did you

a.) enjoy the kill?
eh this wasn't as exciting as...

this
b.) enjoy the track and the shot?
it was the thrill of just going out in the woods and using what i had been taught to look that i found most satisfying

but i haven't been hunting in quite some time

and yes we did eat the dear mmmmmm

ch'ang

artist in training
Ok. I would love to know what people think about this. I personally despise the idea of killing living things for sport. In the UK we have banned hunting with dogs. We still have bird-shoots though.

I just don't see how it can be a good thing to kill something because you want to.
I am not talking about vegetarianism - that's another argument.

I want to kill the harmful germs that get on my body, does that make me a bad person? Also you say you are apposed to killing living things for fun but yet you say you don't have a problem with killing plants, seems kind of odd. Are plants less living in your mind, are they less deserving of life then lets say cuddly little puppies? You seem to have an unspoken bias towards organisms that are similar to you.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
frg001 said:
...I personally despise the idea of killing living things for sport...
Jensa said:
Hunting for food I can live with...
These 2 quotes sum it up for me.

The basis for my belief is that in Genesis, God gave Man dominion over the animals, but that doesn't mean that He intended us to kill them solely for entertainment. Anyway...I don't have much more to add.:)

ch'ang

artist in training

How can you say that someone is evil because they take pleasure in something you don't?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I find there is little need for hunting for food much nowadays anyway...with the neat invention of grocery stores...and the advent of food stamps for the poor...there is rarely a NEED for going into an animal's wild home and blasting a hole through them just to fatten your belly. Unless it is an absolute NEED and you are on the verge of mal-nutrition and starvation there is no NEED to go out to kill a harmless rabbit or deer who is doing nothing but living its' life.

Can you guess where I stand on the subject? ;)

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
ch'ang said:
How can you say that someone is evil because they take pleasure in something you don't?

To be honest , I doubt I could have a sensible conversation with someone who thought that killing a plant was the same as killing a sentient being.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
Draka said:
I find there is little need for hunting for food much nowadays anyway...with the neat invention of grocery stores...and the advent of food stamps for the poor...there is rarely a NEED for going into an animal's wild home and blasting a hole through them just to fatten your belly. Unless it is an absolute NEED and you are on the verge of mal-nutrition and starvation there is no NEED to go out to kill a harmless rabbit or deer who is doing nothing but living its' life.

I agree 100%

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Draka said:

:clap: